My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not complaining. That is with only two five year old batteries. I could have used four or six, but wanted to test the worst case (low temp) with the furnace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not worrying about you Baloo!
Know you got yourself covered.

After tracking your thread and looking at today's rescue squads in Los Angeles I seriously am looking at them for a conversion.

A slightly different platform as I believe they are based on a Ford E-450 chassis with diesel engine, but dang that box has a lot of room!

Take Care,

Mike R

Baloo said:
Mine is a modified sun setter awning mounted on the side of the ambo

@baloo I have been offered a SunSetter, but its 16 feet wide and *heavy!  How is yours modified? Did I miss that in your thread?

Baloo said:
New guy here,  here is a pic of my ambulance I have been converting to a camper.

Nice, never even gave an ambulance a thought.  Sweet.  Enjoy your ride. Like the "Baloo", too!!

Glenda "From Oz" (like Glinda the Good WItch in Wizard of Oz - floating around in her bubble doing good and enjoying life - Ha!)

CraigL said:
@baloo I have been offered a SunSetter, but its 16 feet wide and *heavy!  How is yours modified? Did I miss that in your thread?

I removed the awning from the tube, cut the tube down from 18' to 11', then cut the vinyl awning material down. Took the side legs apart, cut them down to 6', mounted it all up. Works perfectly

Thx. Still, I cannot imagine how heavy it will be. I have the legless variety.
I'll be popping the top up soon (separate roof).

CraigL said:
Thx. Still, I cannot imagine how heavy it will be. I have the legless variety.
I'll be popping the top up soon (separate roof).

I am not sure. I installed mine myself. It has been on the ambo for a few years now. No issues.

Some of the simplest things make me smile!

d9550bfc3dfde76b1286e381b2ca3d00.jpg

Helped a buddy get his solar on today!

8e501336079af38451cbc2dd187bec91.jpg

After making mounts we cleaned up some spots of the roof and drilled a bunch of holes.

e22c233a986f9d57e545ce76e40f627a.jpg

054c3f9c3250930f4a78a065ccb9433b.jpg

Then came the controller and batteries.

e522b6a896b548c8dbe568a8f600ac02.jpg

Of course what good is the new solar system with nothing to watch...

400828d18da1e4b7bd1771945a361531.jpg

I really like his solar controller. I will be replacing mine soon with the same one.

Baloo said:
Helped a buddy get his solar on today!

<----snip---->

After making mounts we cleaned up some spots of the roof and drilled a bunch of holes.

<----snip---->

I really like his solar controller. I will be replacing mine soon with the same one.

Very nice! Not sure I'm a fan of drilling holes in the roof though? But I'm sure you know what you're doing. :cool:
What solar controller is it?
Is your buddy a member here?

Ballenxj said:
Very nice! Not sure I'm a fan of drilling holes in the roof though? But I'm sure you know what you're doing. :cool:
What solar controller is it?
Is your buddy a member here?

If you seal em up right, there will be little chance of a leak. I use below the waterline marine grade sealants. The controller is a Blue Sky Energy 3000i. It is a MPPT controller, and pretty easy to use. My buddy is not building his for dwelling, but rather a hunting vehicle where he can take wounded warriors out on assisted hunting trips. That is why it had to have a working wheel chair ramp. Pretty slick setup for a noble cause. I like to help with stuff like that.

Little addition to the Ambo! Time for a bumper mount.

3ebe1068c0a918c7d4cfebc4618a4ac3.jpg

Baloo said:
Little addition to the Ambo! Time for a bumper mount.
I'd say a secure bumper mount is a real good idea. As fun as that looks, it's taking up way too much of your interior.
Of course you could always get a trailer. You could then carry your bike, kayak, and other supplies like fuel and other stuff.
I'm sure the Ambo would have no trouble towing it. :p

It was a little crowed at night!

d05cd1069f925be283ef7d7d9b4ae6f8.jpg

All the more reason your bed can be stowed.
But, yeah, bumper mount is the only way for the long term.
While a buddy also recommended a trailer, that's a whole *other thing.