My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought, but the hydraulic lift gate on my box truck has proven to lift a 150cc scooter no problem and I can definitely see welding some wheel brackets onto it down the road.

When I got the truck, I considered removing the lift gate because I couldn't see why I'd want it. Now I think it's great...adjustable step into back, raised seating platform, adjustable table, impervious rear door security when raised, and flexible storage platform on the road...

highdesertranger said:
do you have a source for the pivots? I have a few. highdesertranger

I was thinking of 3500 lb trailer axle stubs and spindles. Etrailer has em shipped for $112, then a 18" piece of 6"x2" box steel, 2' of 8"x2" channel and 20' of 5"x2" steel channel. Naturally 1/4" thick on everything.
Add in ten pounds of welding wire and I have a double pivoting carrier that can fold all the way around to the side of the box. With a few welded stop points and locking pins, it should do nicely.

I had considered doing a hydraulic lift, but honestly it would cost way too much. Would be very cool and fun to demonstrate, but unless someone is giving one away, it would just cost way more than I can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it is another ambo weekend!

979a3e9caeb90ef8fecfa98afe0d7627.jpg

One of those days...

Sorta looks like the rotor got really hot, or maybe I just see blue everywhere.

yup, blue rotor, bad caliper? or insane driver? I used to turn the front brake of my Savage blue every time I went to a place like the Tail of the dragon (NC), or the Three Twisted Sisters (Tx hill country) :p

The brake pad broke when I stopped short because some jerk pulled out in front of me. The piece that broke wedged itself between the rest of the pad and the rotor. Truck changed lanes by itself! Lots of smoke and one nervous driver. Limped it to the nearest auto parts store I could find that had the parts to fix it. Thank God for tools on board!

44754dceb854c96d81c5d6a050245bd8.jpg

Then of course I changed the drivers side for good measure.

a07ca139dbfe205f4ac122615229122b.jpg

Baloo said:
Then of course I changed the drivers side for good measure.
That would be the right thing to do.
Thank goodness your OK.

ArtW said:
Idiot drivers, I swear

Yeah! People with their cell phones are more dangerous than drunk drivers!

Baloo said:
Yeah! People with their cell phones are more dangerous than drunk drivers!

I agree, however, that idiot helped you find the weak link in your brakes. They are supposed to stop you straight and true during a panic stop. Again, thankfully nobody was hurt, but the Silver lining here is your weak link was found and repaired now. Were the brakes old, or fresh? That pad obviously had a defect.
As an aside, texting while driving is a No, no. You'd be lucky to even get me to answer my phone when driving.

Ballenxj said:
I agree, however, that idiot helped you find the weak link in your brakes. They are supposed to stop you straight and true during a panic stop. Again, thankfully nobody was hurt, but the Silver lining here is your weak link was found and repaired now. Were the brakes old, or fresh? That pad obviously had a defect.
As an aside, texting while driving is a No, no. You'd be lucky to even get me to answer my phone when driving.

There were less than two years old. The dealer said it was more than likely a defective pad, but they do not warranty those. I guess I will start carrying spares...

Is makes me smile to know that I can buy oil in a 5 gallon bucket, and it still isn't enough!

a65b44f9ff432710dd70cbe82eeebcb5.jpg

Every Road Leads Home said:
Ha love the pic, I've buckled in more than one odd shaped package in my day. That pick also makes me miss my jeep!

The seat belt is good for more than people! The Jeep Wrangler is the only vehicle I have ever sold that I regret selling. So when I bought this one, my plan is to keep it forever.

Traded mine in in 2012 and have been missing it ever since. I know of no former Wrangler owners who don't miss them when they're gone. I will be getting another at some point.

Spending the weekend in the ambo, and decided to make some changes to the cooler storage.

Removed the rear cabinet and installed a sliding platform that can support 200 pounds.

1a35bcdd7df0e939e21a80bd346c7925.jpg

a8aa50206b3e3841793275abb2d8add3.jpg

9f7004bde23276da7a6423b36d2e233e.jpg

92253ff4ac5765e0c02c0ffe66618ad6.jpg

Then I figured a shelf outside would stop me from having to cook on the ground.

4a0e671d36a989ef01497e41d62485b9.jpg