My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baloo said:
Put some miles on the ambo today, was happy after filling it up with diesel. Averaging 13.4mpg between in town and highways.

That's pretty durned good. If just highway I bet it would be close to 18 mpg?

Ballenxj said:
That's pretty durned good. If just highway I bet it would be close to 18 mpg?

Sadly no, with the current transmission there is nothing better than 14mpg. It is the dreadful Allison AT500, which for some stupid reason lacks a torque converter lock up feature in any gear. So basically it slips all the time. What a horrible transmission! I have read on several forums where people swapped in a manual gear box and picked up 3 mpg. I am currently looking for a good manual overdrive transmission now...

Keep up the good work there Baloo!

I (personally) do NOT like automatics. I like choosing what gear I'm gonna use.
and like you said, you'll get better fuel mileage with a manual.

Baloo said:
It is the dreadful Allison AT500, which for some stupid reason lacks a torque converter lock up feature in any gear. So basically it slips all the time. What a horrible transmission! I have read on several forums where people swapped in a manual gear box and picked up 3 mpg. I am currently looking for a good manual overdrive transmission now...

That slush box sounds terribly inefficient. I don't suppose there is any way to install a lockup torque converter, is there?
Yeah, at this point a different transmission seems to be in order.
Still, 14 mpg for a rig like that isn't bad.
How much did you say it weighs?

There is no shift kits or what nots for the AT500. The truck tips the scales at 14938 last week.

You are absolute correct Patrick, manual is the only way to go!

but now you have to decide - Spicer or Eaton? Actually, it will probably be whichever falls in your lap first I'm sure, since like most things - they both have advantages and disadvantages. Still one of my favorite builds. Please keep on posting the progress?

Not sure what tranny to get yet, lots to choose from. Cost is always the driving factor. Put 200 miles on the ambo this weekend, got some fresh fuel on the way home and got the dreaded light!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438560844.882775.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438560844.882775.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438560844.882775.jpg
    363.3 KB
Baloo said:
Not sure what tranny to get yet, lots to choose from. Cost is always the driving factor. Put 200 miles on the ambo this weekend, got some fresh fuel on the way home and got the dreaded light!

Maybe not so fresh ::(   being a now diesel person what do you have to do to correct this>

well basically you need to remove the water. luckily diesel floats on water so if you get a bunch you drain your tank, the water is at the bottom and you can drain the water off if you have a drain at the bottom of your tank. if you don't you can siphon it off the bottom. of course you have a water separator filter, right? then you can drain the water off at the filter. baloo where is your water in fuel sensor located? I ask because I am going to convert to diesel and need to put in a WIF sensor somewhere, it seems my best option would be in a filter setup. highdesertranger

The sensor for the light is in the fuel water separator housing. I was unlucky and had to drain 41 gallons of water/diesel out till I got clean diesel from the passenger side tank. Of course the fuel station refunded my money and I ended up filling up again at a truck stop. Luckily I carry spare filters and have two tanks with low point drain plugs. Lesson learned: Never fill both tanks at the same station!

highdesertranger said:
wow, that's a lot of water. highdesertranger

Don't tell the EPA! I had a five gallon bucket and was amazed at how much water came out. The stations underground tank nut have been full of water.

Installed a small TV and DVD player for some rainy day entertainment. Nothing expensive, but it gets the job done! Also it is completely out of the way.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439258933.504627.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439258933.504627.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439258933.504627.jpg
    370.4 KB
WriterMs said:
I sort of thought we'd see some pics on your weekend thread of what you are flying. Too much rain to get some?

I always feel like takin pics of flying is bad luck. Well at least every time I try to get a good pick, I crash. Sort of a phobia of mine. Here is the lucky plane that made it home safely.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259484.991672.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259484.991672.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259484.991672.jpg
    389 KB
And the helicopter...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259604.363559.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259604.363559.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439259604.363559.jpg
    296.5 KB
Baloo in the TV pic I saw an Expedition Portal sticker. are you a member over there? I am. highdesertranger

I am there as well, mostly the same pics and what not here, I have been on there a whole lot longer. User name "Dodger.Beaudoin"

So the transmission hunt is slow going, there are so many variables to take into account when selecting the right one! Gear ratios, maximum torque rating, bell housing size! Not to mention the number of speeds and if it had a hi and lo range... I thought I had found the perfect one, but it was only rated for 420 torques, and my engine is rated at 485 torques prior to any modification. If anyone knows of the perfect SAE#2 manual tranny with an overdrive let me know! I will keep hunting...