My 2015 Ford Transit Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EL34xyz

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am just getting started on turning my 2015 Ford Transit van - medium roof, into a simple RV for camping

I will not be living in it, just taking me and my two dogs out on camping trips occasionally

I have been filming my progress
Here's a YouTube playlist of the videos 
The newest videos are at the top, so if you want to start from the beginning, go to the bottom of the list and start there

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVvDFekIYJjcojViFN4npjKKgJrx1gkxE

Welcome EL34xyz to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. many of us here do not have the bandwidth to watch videos. maybe you could post some pics here. highdesertranger

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

Unfortunately, I am only doing video updates on my build.
The reason I came to this forum was from watching Bob Wells videos on YouTube

His videos and plus a zillion other build videos to get ideas for my build

It seems to be a video world now a days

Not really.

I far prefer the written word and a few good photos over video.

I've not looked at yours, rarely do I look at videos, they are most often poorly filmed, poorly lit, poorly scripted, jumpy images, rapid scene changes, etc.

A real waste of my time that often leaves me dizzy and sea sick.

It's the kids that are into video for the most part.

Dave.

djkeev said:
Not really.

I've not looked at yours, rarely do I look at videos, they are most often poorly filmed, poorly lit, poorly scripted, jumpy images, rapid scene changes, etc.

It's the kids that are into video for the most part
You can scroll through a ten minute video in about 20 seconds and see the equivalent of a 100 pictures.  Being set in your old ways, you're missing out on a lot of great builds and ideas.

Welcome and congrats on your new to you Transit. I've never seen anyone else use Bituthene on a van build. I've been using Ice and Water in construction for years, and am assuming it's the same stuff? Grace makes both of them. Do you know if this would stop a van from "sweating" or collecting moisture on the inside of the van walls?

Look forward to seeing more videos as the build progresses.

Welcome to the forum. I started out just camping a long time ago, now I will be only camping for a long time.

Welcome fellow Transit owner :) watched your videos and look forward to following your progress.

No problem @Djkeev
djkeev said:
Not really.
It's the kids that are into video for the most part.
Dave.

No problem Dave
As far as video, there are only about 700 Rv videos on youtube filmed by adults
Some are worth watching, some are not
I doubt kids are interested in any of them :)

Also I am 62 years old and not a kid :)

Every Road Leads Home said:
Do you know if this would stop a van from "sweating" or collecting moisture on the inside of the van walls?
Look forward to seeing more videos as the build progresses.

Nothing stops condensation on the inside of vehicles.
Every breath you exhale contains moisture and it has to go somewhere.

So a cold surface meets warm air and then condensation happens
I've watched a ton of videos on youtube and controlling moisture on the inside of the van is always a big concern.

Moving air through the fan helps a bunch if the air outside is drier than the air inside the van
So roof vents with fans are a big plus. Also, by pulling heat out of the van in the hot months

Running the engine heater and turning on the AC will remove moisture if it gets to be too much and everything is damp in the RV
I saw some video of people in a rainy climate and every piece of cloth in the van was damp
That would suck!

Every Road Leads Home said:
You can scroll through a ten minute video in about 20 seconds and see the equivalent of a 100 pictures.  Being set in your old ways, you're missing out on a lot of great builds and ideas.

Actually, at 30 frames a second you see 1800 pictures every minute :)
There's no way I could take stills, upload them to my web site, and then sit there and type all the info out that is contained in one of my videos.
Most of the web sites with pics I have seen have horrible photos that are too small for my dual 23 inch monitors

It's no big deal if people don't want to watch videos on youtube, zillions of people do like to and I am one of them

You used Great Stuff in your van???

WHY????

GotSmart said:
You used Great Stuff in your van???
NO not spray foam...............ERLH said GRACE........the mfr of roofing and waterproofing products such as Ice and Water Shield

In the videos:

EL34xyz used the self adhesive roofing membrane to eliminate the "Oil Canning" noise from the individual metal panels before applying a self stick thin A/C duct insulation over the entire area.....................

(Ya'll are correct tho......The videos are absolutely jumpy and unorganized with far too many mistakes and then corrections added using on-screen text within the video................sorry dude..... it's the truth)

EL......you describe "4x8' waterproof thin white stuff from Lowes"? on the ceiling........Is that melamine coated hardboard (shower board) or what ?

doug

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]NO not spray foam...............ERLH said [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]GRACE[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]........the mfr of roofing and waterproofing products such as Ice and Water Shield[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]In the videos:[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]EL34xyz[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] used the self adhesive roofing membrane to eliminate the "Oil Canning" noise from the individual metal panels before applying a self stick thin A/C duct insulation over the entire area.....................[/font]

Check the video. Starting at90 seconds.  He specifically said Great Stuff.  He called it non expanding, but it is listed as low expanding.

GotSmart said:
Check the video. Starting at90 seconds.  He specifically said Great Stuff.  He called it non expanding, but it is listed as low expanding.

Damn you made me watch them all again....................OK.....Great Stuff in the Reinstall headliner video

Everybody is entitled to their opinion about videos, but no one is entitled to be mean or rude. Kindness is always required here. You don't like it, don't watch it. Nothing kind and helpful to say? DON'T SAY ANYTHING!!!

NO PILING ON ALLOWED!

Lots of great ideas there.  I love the way the headliner was contoured.  I would like to see the finished product.  I would have done a couple things differently, but everyone does.

GotSmart said:
Lots of great ideas there.  I love the way the headliner was contoured.  I would like to see the finished product.  I would have done a couple things differently, but everyone does.

You mean after I installed it?
I have another video of the headliner after it was insulated

Click on the link in my signature to see the whole playlist
there are a couple headliner videos