My 2010 Ford Transit Connect conversion.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't find anything less than full sheets of laminate when I was trying to finish the kitchen counter top. All I needed was a piece 22 x 40 and wasn't willing to pay for and then ditch the rest of the 4 x 8 sheet.

A friend who is much more artistic than I did a 'faux marble' finish for me on the plywood. It went like this - one coat of primer, two coats of the base interior paint I used on the walls. many, many hours of daubing the faux marble (see YouTube videos for how to) and then 5 coats of spray polyurethane.

I'm still not happy with the poly finish so I'm aiming to add several brushed on coats of it.

I'm also quite careful with it and use silicone heat pads and small plastic cutting boards (Dollar Store finds) ALL the time. No cutting, chopping or hot items on the counter but then you should do the same even if you're using a laminate.

I'm pretty sure I've seen 1' X 1' squares of some sort of sticky-backed laminate at Home Depot, but I'll have to take a second look.  
Not sure if I can buy them by the piece, though.  Something to look into.  

I think if I go with something I have to apply with a brush, I'll use a waterproofing/stain of some sort.  I like your approach, but aesthetics aren't important in my minimalist setup.  "Function over form".  :p

find a place that does lamination ask them if you can buy a piece. of course that's after you have checked their trash for a piece. highdesertranger

Yeah, I thought about trying a place that sells flooring and see if they had any scraps.  

Yet another option I'll procrastinate on for a few months.  :p  I've never actually used that rear table.

BigT said:
I'm pretty sure I've seen 1' X 1' squares of some sort of sticky-backed laminate at Home Depot, but I'll have to take a second look.  
Not sure if I can buy them by the piece, though.  Something to look into.  

I think if I go with something I have to apply with a brush, I'll use a waterproofing/stain of some sort.  I like your approach, but aesthetics aren't important in my minimalist setup.  "Function over form".  :p

They have them 1x1 squares , i remember buying 2 super shiny black ones , they looked like marble , real thin though.

Mobilesport said:
I saw your water heater , does your Transit have a shower ?

Is this directed towards me?  If so, the the "water heater" as you call it, is the shower.  It's a Solar Shower.  

If I find that I use it more than I currently do, which is just about never unless I'm kayaking in a far away land, I'll probably replace it with the commercially available aluminum model by "RoadShower".  

The Road Shower doesn't hold as much water as mine, and they're ridiculously expensive, but from what I hear they work great.  :cool:
The only problem I have with the RS, besides the smaller size, is that it's only designed to hang from the rack.  I'm looking for something that can be mounted on top of the crossbars as well as hung from beneath them.  

I'm sure I could come up with an adaptor of some sort, though.

Ugh. Well thanks to PhotoBucket's extortion practices, all my build photos have been lost!

I hope PB burns in hell!

Sorry that happened BigT. I only have pics on google and dropbox. Hardly any on Facebook.

I need to learn how to use Dropbox..  I'm pretty sure I have it.
I didn't know you can use it to host photos.

Mods.  Can I get this thread deleted?

I no longer have a PhotoBucket account and I'm waaaay past the time limit for editing threads anyway, so this one is worthless.  

I can't replace my photos, and this thread is useless without them.  

Is there any way for individual users to access their thread after the editing time limit?  If so, I'll be happy to replace my photos with thumbnails (a time consuming and laborious task).  

Thanks.