My 2 Sons Staged an Intervention Yesterday.....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you answered your own question on what to say to them :)

Tell them what you told us, you want to get your kicks on route 66. You want to see live cacti, you want to see the Rocky Mountains, you want to touch base in RTR, you want to...….

But I think they have a real safety concern in their mind. Old lady on road forever with no home and doing?....lol.....yea they can't get their heads around it, simple as that.

Show them this whole thread. Have them read thru it and bring them into this lifestyle.....and do some close trips to home. Go a long weekend, touching base and letting them know how much you enjoy yourself. Go a week or 10 days and let them know how well you are doing. Send them pics of ya smiling in a state park :) I think you can 'de-sensitize' them to the whole safety issue, making them realize that your being on a trip of a lifetime is an ok thing :)

You had me cracking up about Bob being called CM by the guys HAHA

Let them see the real lifestyle you are wanting to do. Let them know about it cause right now they no nothing really, not experiencing it as you have on the internet, chatting online with like nomads etc.

Luckily my 1 and only daughter has been traveling from day 1 in an rv. She absolutely understands life on the road cause she lives it. She knows when she is settled in college in a while we will be flying around in pure freedom on the road, she gets it easily and we have no problems at all.

I don't think this is about boundaries and more, I think they don't get it, make them get it! but in the end if ya have to pull the 'I am doing what I want, when I want and suck it up' speech, then go for it, lol :) I think you will show them it is fine. I think you will get them under the nomad spell :)

At 54 years old, I am looking forward to an empty nest with only my wife and I. My 25 daughter lives 1/4 mile down our county road, has a good career going, and seems to visit at least daily. My son, is 20, and will be graduating from UNOH diesel tech school next month, but still lives at home, and uses alot of food, water, electricity, and patience to keep the peace.

I wouldn't compromise any of this to go on the road, but after working my entire life helping others along, it's going to be long overdue for some "me time" without guilt.

And, you know, it’s important to seize the freedom to pursue your dreams when you are able to, as you never know when you and/or your partner may be struck down by illness or accident.

Life can change in an instant.

Carpe diem, as the man said.

so agree, that is why we took early retirement and are gearing our whole life now for our freedom on the road.
no late time behind the 8 ball gotta get rid of all the house stuff for us, we are unloading everything now as we find we don't need it and clearing out our life to move forward. If we croak while doing so then so be it but at least we know the path we are heading for :)

If you live in California, thiis could turn into a legal one where someone else ends up controlling your assets and your life.

Personally, I'm more of the 'tough love' kinda person.

'Thank you for your loving concern. This is something I feel deeply pulled to and I have investigated it enough to know I am going to proceed towards it while reserving the right to change my mind at anytime. I am doing so mindfully and not impulsively.
I understand you may have fears about my decision but those are for you to deal with as we go forward. I am more than open to sharing with you any part of my decision making but not for debate. Please respect my judgment and decisions and, again, thank you SO much for your concern, and understanding.

morongobill said:
If you live in California, thiis could turn into a legal one where someone else ends up controlling your assets and your life.

Well, California is by far not the only state that has such laws protecting senior citizens from being ripped off.

lenny flank said:
Well, California is by far not the only state that has such laws protecting senior citizens from being ripped off.

Yeah, gotta follow Lenny's comment up with a hearty DAMNED RIGHT!! here.
Watching a person with Dementia sign their assets over to a religious cult is a lot harder to combat than people think it is.

morongobill said:

Most crazy cat ladies eating dog food, forgetting to swap their Depends...and living in a fire-trap-house full of garbage say this kind of thing. Bring in friends to tell the judge you were ALWAYS a cat lady who smelled like pee and ate dog food...and the average judge will STILL NOT take over...

The second you come in as an advocate, you quickly realize the road to this "control of assets and life" is DAMNED hard to obtain. VERY easy to avoid this.

The ability to identify the president and a few questions to any shrink or MD will usually do it.
(I mean, "do it" as in...keep that meddling kid out of your wallet and away from your property.)
We used to say they were "oriented X3" when the brain worked but the body did not.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is-orientation-and-how-is-it-affected-by-dementia-98571
^^^A link about dementia and the previous sentence...how docs "rate" you.

The truth of the matter is, few people are relieved of their power of decision soon enough...and are allowed to make very foolish moves anyone with logic-in-tact would not.

...and I think over 75, should be a yearly eye/hearing/focus test to keep your license, too.
Anyone who has vacationed in Miami/Lauderdale can see why.
Just watch an intersection for 20 minutes.

If you're getting a van, how about asking them to build it out for you? If it becomes a family project, they'll feel pride in it and might wind up feeling as invested in it as you are.

^^ X2 to them helping you build out the van.  "Those who help plan the battle rarely battle the plan" - Pat Zigarmi    
Its just that they love and worry about you... tells me you raised 'em right...