My 2 Sons Staged an Intervention Yesterday.....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacklelop

Reaction score
Perhaps someone can give me some ideas about handling my sons objections to my plan to as they put it..."To Wander around the Country like a Hippie and live like a Vagrent". They are convinced that I've fallen under the spell of Bob Wells who they call a modern day Charlie Manson. I've laid out all the reasons why but they just don't understand it. I went over this again last night with them, I'm open to any any suggestions anyone who has been through this has. I'm going to do this either way but I would have a better since of peace out there if I knew they understood.

I would tell them "I am all grown up", then point out something embarrassing they did as a son. highdesertranger

My sons are aged 30 and 33 I am 59. They are good decent human beings who I know love me as I love them but they do think Mom's completely lost her mind. My boys were not perfect they did did there share of crazy crap in high school and college.I don't believe in throwing up past mistakes in someone's face. I just would like them to understand why I must do this for me.

I would tell them I don't need their permission but I really need their approval or at least acceptance. Let them know you will be in touch with updates on a regular basis. Heck, tell THEM to contact you everyday!! We'll see if they do haha!! I would be happy having sons that cared as much as they do!!

Jacklelop said:
My sons are aged 30 and 33 I am 59. They are good decent human beings who I know love me as I love them but they do think Mom's completely lost her mind. My boys were not perfect they did did there share of crazy crap in high school and college.I don't believe in throwing up past mistakes in someone's face. I just would like them to understand why I must do this for me.

So, start out with camping vacations and just keep making them longer until they get used to it. Realize that at your age, you will only  be doing this a limited time, anyway. Even if we don't die first, few of us are up to driving long distances once we are well into our 70's.By the time we are in our 80's, a lot of us should not be driving at all.

Would your sons be more comfortable with a less ‘All In’ approach and start?
Unless you’ve been tossed on the street by landlord smaller steps can be very useful for you and your caring relatives.

Don’t know your situation or experiences in life but...
Have you spent an entire day at a local park, forest. Made your breakfast, lunch and dinner on picnic table. Can start with tiny-er steps with coffee and breakfast from a drive though or thermos and packed breakfast from home and hangout till lunch/dinner. Bet between your sons and you, you have a camp stove, 1-2 qt pan, good camping, sleeping pads and other items to practice.

I think a full sized van is better than a mini van because of its strength, frame, brakes and the price much the same. Either of those sons have van shopping ability? Get them involved.

I have a good friend, she keeps her home but uses her van for relaxing day trips to parks, events or things to see a day+trip away. She has a porta pot setup (bucket), stove, cooler, and simple sleeping arrangement. If she wants she can still pick a motel but can find a Walmart or boondock spot for the night. She has taken longer trips like xcountry from CA to PA but mostly stays within a couple states of home. She appreciates her home conveniences but yearns to see nature, new things, water, mountains, but not live in it 24/7

Have they watched Bob’s videos? If he is a guru of anything it is to find away to live your best life. I haven’t heard of him giving a date for the end of the world.

I have four sons and can't imagine them thinking that they had veto power over my plans to become "homeless". They'e just thrilled that I'm not dragging them all over creation as I did when they were kids.

Make sure you have the higher benefit AAA, or the like. Set up the GPS based Google shared location so that they can see where you are every hour, if they are so inclined. Give them access to see your credit card purchases so they can see that you're buying food and gas like a regular person. Check in with them (or have them check-in with you) every day. If you are going to be out of cellphone coverage, have the boys pay for satellite phone with a texting plan (they're super cheap compared to paying rent for your old S&B home). Or get a SPOT or the like for emergencies in the boonies (they have texting plans also). Set up an online journal (including plenty of photos) so they can see what a wonderful time you're having. Send them YouTube links to videos of old nomad ladies like us. Send them YouTube videos of you, if you are ambitious.

Bombard them with more information about your activities and whereabouts than they currently have. They'll soon see that Mum is not off her rocker. Or you'll bore them to death and leave you alone.

Or you could just sneak off...

Happy trails!
Ted

Even if you have fallen under Bob Wells’ , or someone else’s spell, pursuing your dreams as long as you’re not being irresponsible about it is your inalienable right as a human being.

If you plan to leave behind unpaid bills or other consequences, that would be irresponsible, in my opinion, but if you’re just pursuing a dream, well it’s your life.

My kids support my extended travel, we maintain regular contact, and thru the Find My Friends app they can check to see where I am any time they like.

Go, have a great adventure, and send them lots of pictures.

My children don't have the right to tell me what I can do or can't do. We have boundaries. They aren't objecting... but if they were, I'd remind them that I'm an adult doing my own thing.

Here's a fact: we're not getting any younger, and if we can afford to do this thing now, we should do it now, because there's no time like the present to do things your heart calls you to do.

Where are you and where do you want to go? Perhaps if you can tell them you are traveling with other folks they won’t be too concerned.

There are lots of clubs and groups out there for nomads.

If you think that your kids are worried about you being taken advantage of or exploited in any way, then tell them your safety plans that will help settle their minds on the issue. Maybe they picture Bob as this charismatic cult leader swindling little old ladies out of their social security money. Maybe they picture you falling for a scam from some band of nomadic thieves that wipes you out miles from nowhere with no one to protect you. Let them know you have a plan to financially protect yourself from fraudsters.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Bob Wells reminds me more of the Pied Piper than Charles Manson. I don't know how they came up with that analogy.

Bob does caution against embarking on a vandwelling adventure without resources to make it a sustainable way of life, ie: a savings account for emergency needs. If your children object because they don't think you have the resources, maybe they could contribute to make this adventure possible for you.

If they're just upset because you've decided to step outside the box and do something different with your life, then that's just uncalled for. You have the right to do your own thing, and even at the age of 59 and beyond, have some fun and adventure.

hahaha I didn't mean to throw it in their face like a bad thing. I meant for you to use it as a reminder that we all do what seems to others like crazy things.

bring them to the RTR.

highdesertranger

I would not try to do the talking to persuade them because they obviously think you are being influenced by a cult leader. Instead you should link them to articles from more main stream sources about the huge number of older women (and men) who choose the RV life instead of living in retirement villages. Ask them if you were their male parent would they be telling you that you can't enjoy a few years of fun and adventure before you are put into "confinement".

jeanmarie said:
So, start out with camping vacations and just keep making them longer until they get used to it. Realize that at your age, you will only  be doing this a limited time, anyway. Even if we don't die first, few of us are up to driving long distances once we are well into our 70's.By the time we are in our 80's, a lot of us should not be driving at all.

Wow....I am 68 and hoping to get on the road next year. I hope I have more than a few years to live my dream!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm 66 . . . and think the best way to stay healthy enough for this adventure is to get a lot of exercise and eat healthy foods. My mother drove until she was 85... quit a few months before she had a stroke and died. In her assisted living home there was another woman in her 90's still driving safely and getting out on her own.

I can still walk a mini marathon and still drive cross country to visit relatives. I plan on still being active into my 90’s...God willing and the creek don’t rise [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could tell them you can't handle you house anymore so you want to come live with them. LOL

Seriously though starting off with short trips and progressing is a great idea.