Muddy Wheels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Click for big

The bed expands out and takes up nearly all of the width of the van. Batteries and power wiring are beneath the bed, as well as some storage space for seldom used items (as it's a pain to get into there).

I should have gone for a 6-inch mattress, but I didn't see any that were as well reviewed as the 8 inch. It's a challenge for me to fold it up in that small space and I'm a fairly fit individual.

On the side is going to be a folding-out desk with some additional storage space and a shelf for my CPAP machine to go on. Will add some cabinets (or maybe just milk crates, or something) on the door side for storage.

Not pictured really well, but those curtains are made out of duvetyne. With the reflectix window covers on, it's nice and dark in there.

Looks like it's coming along Muddy. Do you plan to insulate? Or just plan to follow the weather?

I haven't decided what to do yet, so right now I'll just be chasing that 70 degree weather. The floor is insulated, though of course that won't help much unless I do the walls as well.

That's looking good.  Did you build your futon platform yourself?    :angel: Queenie wants to know how those refleticx throw rugs are working out?  I'm afraid to even think about what's behind the walls in the Safari conversion van I recently aquired.  I hope there is insulation as I can feel the cold coming thru the windows, however I intend those to be covered whens it's in travel mode and not just a daily driver.

Jewellann and Queenie, a voluntary sef-trained guard Chihuahua

I wish! I provided moral support while the master carpenter built the platform bed. It's really quite nifty, it slides out and either side can be opened up. I'll try to take some better pictures of how it works later on.

jim -- where's here? I'm on my way!

The desk is done, will try and take another picture. It's pretty nifty, has a little alcove for my CPAP machine and everything.

Here's some John Muir for you all

Accidents in the mountains are less common than in the lowlands, and these mountain mansions are decent, delightful, even divine, places to die in, compared with the doleful chambers of civilization. Few places in this world are more dangerous than home. Fear not, therefore, to try the mountain-passes. They will kill care, save you from deadly apathy, set you free, and call forth every faculty into vigorous, enthusiastic action. Even the sick should try these so-called dangerous passes, because for every unfortunate they kill, they cure a thousand.

Here's a question for long time boondockers: What's the latest time you like to get into the NF/BLM land and looking for a decent campsite? I'm not much of an early riser and prefer to avoid driving during commute time, so I'm thinking about timing.

I suppose worst case scenario I end up spending an extra night at Wally World.

Short travel days work better for us maybe 100 miles to 200 miles, so we stop around 3PM. By previewing sites and researching the area by internet and remembering places others have advised it is pretty easy, at least out west where there is plenty of BLM land.

Hello everyone. Brief trip this weekend to Davy Crockett NF to test out the systems.

You guys know how it goes...my faithful Kindle and phone started dying after 7 years of service right before I left, and my bowels staged an open rebellion for no apparent reason. But, everything in the van appears to work fine. Planning on maybe an October trip to New Mexico/Big Bend/etc.

Good to hear from you. I'm glad the van is working out.

Departing for NM and beyond in a week or two. Not a moment too soon...actually a few moments too late, it's already 95+ daily here. Where's everybody at?