Muddy Wheels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddy

Reaction score
Hello everyone, after a false start or two I'm finally picking up my van tomorrow from Penske in Iowa. Barring any major issues, I will be driving it back home to Texas, building it out just a little and taking it out on the road by the end of the month.

The van survived the ride to where I'm staying. No issues, everyone can just write me off as the maniac Texas driver. Thing handles a lot better than I was expecting, actually. Took me a 25-point turn to reverse it out of the lot but it was fine from there.

Pics to follow

ETUgps5m.jpg

Will have some better pics when I get home sometime next week. Interior ain't much to look at at the moment.

Well, looks like my departure is set for Tuesday. It's gonna be cold and wet round the Midwest after that and I don't wanna stick around. I'm excited to get started on the build but nervous about driving the thing for two days straight, any driving advice?

muddy said:
Well, looks like my departure is set for Tuesday. It's gonna be cold and wet round the Midwest after that and I don't wanna stick around. I'm excited to get started on the build but nervous about driving the thing for two days straight, any driving advice?

Keep it between the lines, and lock your doors at rest stops.   Don't try to push it. :D

My only recommendation aside from agreeing with GotSmart is to pay for roadside assistance in some form. I pay $4 a month extra on my auto insurance. It's paid for itself twice now.

Oh I won't try to push it, the van is pretty heavy so I doubt it could get it all the way back to Texas, a hyuck

Yep, got my Triple A card in my wallet.

Departure was pushed back a day to change the tranny fluid.

Have a great trip!
Don't fear the journey at all.

What did you end up buying?
Obviously a GMC Van buy details?
LWB?
Engine?
Options?

Dave

Thanks DJ.

It's a SWB 2011 GMC Savana Cargo van. Bit up there in mileage, but mechanically it is in great shape, and I won't be putting tons of miles on it. I got it for a pretty good price since I flew out to the middle of nowhere to get it.

There were several good extended vans in California that I looked at, but this one suits me just fine for now. Nervous driver that I am, I'm terrified of backing the thing up anyway.

Back home safe. Looking forward to never driving through Oklahoma again. Van handled great however, it wasn't as much of an adjustment to drive as I feared.

muddy said:
Back home safe. Looking forward to never driving through Oklahoma again. Van handled great however, it wasn't as much of an adjustment to drive as I feared.

The toll roads are in nice shape.  That is the best part about that state.

Van is at the mechanics right now. Good news -- some minor issues, but it's in great mechanical shape as it seemed to be and there appear to be no majorly expensive "projects" any time soon.

Well, I lament to say I have not been good about pictures. Insulated vinyl floor is down. I'm leaving the walls alone for now. Starting to really rethink my lengthwise futon, but I don't really want to rip it out and do it again. It's almost ready to roll, I just need to build a little cabinet where my CPAP & electronics can live and figure out how I'm going to cook.

Planning a trip down to Padre Island this month as a shakedown cruise. I'm thinking end of the month but if anyone is planning on being there, or on the way there, let me know. I could leave right now, but I want to finish the desk setup so I can test drive it, even though I'm not working right now.

Adding in the floor (and fixing the exhaust leak) have really fixed up the road noise. I listened to two audiobooks when I drove the van back from Iowa, and I couldn't for the life of me tell you what either of them were about.

This month my focus has been on simplifying my diet and eating healthy. I want a diet that's easily sustainable with little thought on my part, so I've cut back to one cooked/prepared meal per day (two counting eggs, which can be hardboiled in advance). The rest of the time I've just been sticking to simpler smaller stuff. Wild Planet sardines are amazing.

Will post interior pics as soon as the desk is done, sometime this week!