Movie themed trips

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fandrel64

Reaction score
Being more traveled than the average person has anyone ever made it a point to follow the route itinerary of a movie? The first one that comes to mind for me is National Lampoon's Vacation but there are plenty of others I'm sure.

I never thought of that. We're planning on following the Donner trail and Oregon trail sometime.
If we were going to do a movie type trip I would have to go with the movie "Paul"

I don’t know many movies I’ve not seen many. My kids should be Star Wars but I don’t think I can follow their trail. Following the Donner Trail sounds fun I hope you don’t get hungry. But being that your zombies it might work. I do like getting off the main roads. I have considered following route 30 from the East Coast to the West Coast. Not the interstate but going through all the little towns etc. that sounds like fun to me but it wouldn’t be cheap RV living with it.

Not the whole route part, but I have traveled to some movie things/places. Astoria Oregon for Goonies, Salam mental hospital for One flew over the Cuckoos nest, Kuai for Jurassic park, Not a movie but the Pondarosa Ranch for The TV show Bonanza up by Lake Tahoe, We went and visited an old west town out by Palm Springs that was used for Really old westerns way back when so many of the old westerns were filmed in the same places. And of course I live here on Whidbey where and when The Ring was filmed and where Double Jeopardy is based. Saw Tom Cruz when he and his wife where here filming that witches movie... I like traveling with some fun involved and movies have been filmed everywhere.

I recommend Alabama Hills near Lone Pine CA. More western movies have been made there than anywhere else. The main road is Movie Road. Don't start your generator out there or you may get eaten by a giant sand worm. (Tremors)

Fandrel64 said:
Being more traveled than the average person has anyone ever made it a point to follow the route itinerary of a movie?

When I first moved to AZ, I saw on the map a little, out-of-the way place called Bagdad.  I was thinking that was the place where the movie "Bagdad Cafe" was shot and wanted to take a ride out there. The motel and cafe in that movie were actually located in Newberry Springs, a small town in Cali.

Also, last year I again watched "Eazy Rider" and did some Googling for info about the route they took and locations,etc.

A month ago I bought a '98 BMW K1200RS and silly ol' me started having ideas about retracing that route. Not gonna happen. I found out that model of BMW is REALLY uncomfortable.

"The motel and cafe in that movie were actually located in Newberry Springs, a small town in Cali."

Actually the cafe in Newberry Springs was renamed the Bagdad Cafe after the movie came out. That is the location where the movie was filmed. The original Cafe was in Bagdad California.

Bagdad also holds the record for the longest dry streak in the US to go without rain.

Sadly everything is gone except for some foundations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagdad,_California

Highdesertranger

...bucket list- football games, stadiums in the fall...week to week..

I wouldn't mind doing the "Sometimes a Great Notion" tour in Oregon. I've always been fascinated by that book. Newport, Kernville and the Siletz River.

https://hollywoodtheatre.org/events/sometimes-a-great-notion-2/

Then there's always "Twilight" in Forks.

Truthfully, I just want to go back to the Olympic Peninsula for about a week. lol

edit: I just watched the trailer in that link and when they showed the family at the table, there is a kitchen queen behind them. I think I've got the same one.

Read the book many times, never watched the movie.

^
I'm not familiar with that movie but all the well-known actors in it are among my favorites.

It's on Amazon Prime, so I will give it a look this evening.

slow2day said:
It's on Amazon Prime, so I will give it a look this evening.

"Video currently unavailable"... Amazon Prime video sucks. Most of the movies I want to see aren't included or they want to charge a rental fee.

^^ That's a shame. Maybe I'll find it and give it a watch. I wish I'd seen it before I read the book so many times, The book is SO detailed. And it's Ken Kesey, so it's kind of surreal too.

^^
A copy of the book on eBay is just $5 but would take over a week to arrive.

Maybe I'll do what I've done with other books---visit the library in whatever town I've stopped in while on the road and read 20 or 30 pages. Then stop at the next town and read the next pages from their copy. I rarely read all of a book at one sitting anyway.

^^ That's a GREAT idea!! I never would have thought of that. I'm not the best at thinking outside the box. lol

I devour books so I need to have them. By need I mean I get anxious if I don't have at least one book with me when I go out, even if I know I'm not going to have the chance to read. Yeah, I'm kinda weird.

Edit: A nice WA based movie themed trip would be Port Townsend for An Officer and a Gentleman. I've always stayed at the motel that was in the movie, The Tides Inn. I see from my recent trip that it's been extensively remodeled and added on to since I first started going there. Fort Worden is actually a very beautiful place.

^^
OK, I'll raise you the Regal Inn in Las Vegas,New Mexico.

It was one of the motels in "No Country For Old Men". The one where the briefcase full of money is hidden in the ductwork and where several dudes got shot all to hell. The actual motel has HVAC units mounted below the windows and doesn't have ductwork.

I've stayed there several times in the past 10 years or so and it wasn't until I re-watched that movie last year that I realized it was the one in the movie.

Regal Inn.JPG

Attachments

• Regal Inn.JPG
    Regal Inn.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 5
wanderingsoul said:
Edit:  A nice WA based movie themed trip would be Port Townsend for An Officer and a Gentleman. 

I used to ride a Triumph motorcycle that was just like the one in that movie.

If only I had looked as good as Gere while sitting on it:

51elecJ1LWL._AC_.jpg

Attachments

• 51elecJ1LWL._AC_.jpg
    51elecJ1LWL._AC_.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 4
wanderingsoul said:
I love the older motels and motor courts!

Yes, some of them are off the beaten path and real gems.