Movie Suggestion Thread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifted_Cowboy

Reaction score
Sitting here with the itch to watch a good movie and wondering what some of your favorites are.

I'm probably going to watch Dear Zachary again. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it.

Can't go wrong with a Western.
Lonesome Dove
Broken Trail
Hayfields and McCoys

Lonesome Dove is one of my favorites. Great adaptation from the books but the other parts are hard to find.

Never seen the other two but they are downloaded and waiting for another movie night. Thanks!

I recently saw the Godzilla movie in the movie theater. This time Godzilla is the good guy and saves San Francisco from utter doom. Rather entertaining, not great, but fun to watch.

I don't watch movies at movie theaters as often as I used to. Mostly cuz it costs a freakin' $15 a pop per person plus another $15 for popcorn and soda. Unreal. I watch more Netflix movies than anything else.

That's why if I do pay those prices at a movie theater, I sometimes try to sneak into a second movie that is good to watch to get more bang for the buck, haha! Heck, sometimes I even bring my own 3D glasses if the second movie requires it.

thanks for the suggestions.

Please, if it's not too much trouble, for those of us with limited data or lousy internet would you mind listing the names of the suggested movies?

Thanks!

Anything Mel Brooks. We rent movies from RedBox. I often get two movies for $1.50 for one night. We have watched a lot of movies that I am glad we never paid theatre prices to see. I do have movies that are "keepers". That means they are movies that I can watch repeatedly (like Mel Brooks' movies).I like to do marathon movie watching and watch all series movies in one sitting or one weekend. Unfortunately my collection keeps growing. I plan on figuring out how to put all my bought movie DVDs onto a stand alone computer hard drive (I have two old hard drives) and then hooking the hard drive up to my TV. I know it's possible. Ijust need to figure out how to do it without spending a lot of money and also still add movies to the collection.

caseyc said:
I don't watch movies at movie theaters as often as I used to. Mostly cuz it costs a freakin' $15 a pop per person plus another $15 for popcorn and soda. Unreal. I watch more Netflix movies than anything else.

HOLY CRAP!! The last time I sat in a movie theatre, it was eight bucks a head, and the same for munchies/drink. 'Course, it's been a good thirty years......
Thank goodness for Netflix!
And Hulu, and Crackle. :cool:

$15 is the highest price typically for a movie in 3D where they give you the glasses to wear. Otherwise, for a non-3D movies, it's usually a couple dollars less. I always keep the 3D glasses even though they sometimes ask you to recycle them in a bin. I imagine the ticket price is less for the first matinee showing, but seriously, who goes to a movie theater at the first showing of the day?? As for food, it gets expensive for popcorn and soda and usually totals up to the price of a movie ticket. Now you know why I sometimes see 2 movies in a row! The second movie is a "sneak-in". But security is so lax that they really don't care at various theaters. A couple times I even watch 3 movies in a row in a single day! Usually it was the day after Thanksgiving or day after Christmas when there was nothing else to do after eating a feast on those holidays. I don't recommend sitting in a movie theaters for 3 movies in a row cuz your booty feels like jello after!

Two underground, under-appreciated movies from back a ways:

Road Prophet

Motorama

One has a Beastie Boy in it, the other has a Red Hot Chili Pepper. Both stories from the road, although Road Prophet is mainly motorcycles, and Motorama is cars.

I actually really enjoyed the book & the movie "Into the Wild".

once Chris (the guy in the movie) sheds his junk and hits the road....I LOVED IT!!

(I just erased the entire next part of my message as it was discussing details about the movie, and facts that have surfaced after the fact.....but I don't wanna mess this up for anyone who hasn't seen the movie.)

Nebraska and Philomina are two recent movies that were Oscar nominated. Both star old people and are character studies. Not a lot of action, just awesome acting and stories. I mostly watch Red box movies on my laptop for a dollar. But sometimes I need to watch a movie on the big screen. So I go to a $3 theater or early showing in a regular theater. If I have some extra money, I may buy nachos or pizza there. Otherwise I put some candy or beef jerky in my pockets. I'm bad I know.
BTW, the Counselor got bad reviews and was poorly directed. But many of the scenes were awesome and are still stuck in my head. Javier Bardem , Brad Pitt, and Penelope Cruz are always fascinating actors.

oh...btw.....

I HATE going to movie theaters too!

EVERYTHING is WAY OVERpriced, the kid in the seat behind me is constantly kicking the back of my seat, I just missed what the person on the film said due to the loudmouth on my left, (and they won't rewind the movie so I can hear it over)...

...and they won't let me watch it sitting in my UNDERWEAR!!!! :p

Thread necro, cuz it has the most helpful title of all threads with "movie" in it.
Patrick46: you rule! :)

Just saw "Captain Marvel" on DVD, courtesy of my local Library's generous guest policy (and an unexpected Hold fulfillment).
The first part was tons of tedious action, then they finally got to the good stuff, which was enjoyable. Not "awesome", but above average for comic-book inspired movies (purely IMO).

Abnorm and all other cat lovers:
You will like the cat content.
I won't ruin it for you, just be prepared for tedium then quality cat. :)

That's the #1 reason I felt the Need to Post. :)

I no longer have TV, so have lost track of what interesting movies are coming out on DVD.
Any suggestions?
I like all good science fiction, thinking movies, and some action movies. I rarely like comedies, particularly slapstick.

I prefer Libraries over Redbox, mainly because their loan period is usually a week (perfect for my boondocking rhythm) and they're free (or a very modest "guest" charge). :)

Watched the Girl in the Spider Web dvd this week. Currently watching Birds of Prey. Love to see bad guys getting their due. Suicide Squad was fun. Can't wait until the new Harley Quinn movie comes out in 2020.

Shiny! Had forgotten that was out - just added it to my Library wishlist. :)
I've read all of Stieg Larsson's original Millennium novels, seen the original movies, and then the first English language remake with Daniel Craig (which also featured both awesome & sad cat content).

Which "Birds of Prey"? The 2002 TV series on the WB?

Ditto on bad-guys-getting-their-due! :)

This BoP is a dvd marked 2007 from netflix, but is apparently the same 2002 WB/CW show. I had not heard of it until noticing that "a" Harley Quinn was in it. Pre-Margot Robbie HQ, who was phenomenal in Suicide Squad. Difficult to out-act Will Smith, but Margot Robbie did it, lol. I liked all the Lisbeth Salander movies. Tough gal.

Latest posts