Movable Solar Panel and battery, Plus roof-top and battery bank..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPDX

Reaction score
Thank you all- I've been trying to soak in the various dissucions on 6 vs 12 volt and general solar/ battery installation.

A question I have, which maybe typical, premature overthinking: I've bought the100 W Renogy folding solar case.  But have "analysis paralysis" regarding a first battery. 

I live in the NorthWest and camp frequently under shade; usually there is a nearby sunny spot.  I plan on setting up the panel away from camp if I can get a much better charge, moving the solar panel and a single "portable" battery.  This should met my beginner needs. The "portable battery" can be pretty heavy as I have a foldable bike trailer in the van that I can pull a short distance by bike or hand.

But someday, I also plan on roof top solar and a 2x 6V bank, maybe two banks.  If I have this greater capacity likely the need for seeking out the absolute sunniest spot maybe reduced. 

But could I charge it separately, using the portable Renogy panel, and then add it, charged, to the bank?

I've seen the numerous warnings about not "mixing" battery types- so a 2 X 6 Volt bank plus a 12V is a no-no?  Any other ideas? I guess all 12V?

If my question is confusing, it reflects my current thought process!

Best regards, jj

I use 50 feet of cable for my portables. That gives me lots of room for avoiding the sun.

jimindenver said:
I use 50 feet of cable for my portables. That gives me lots of room for avoiding the sun.

With 50 ft of cable attached to the solar panel, can I just connect to the roof-top solar and battery bank?  Foregoing an "extra" battery?

at the moment my panels are portable. it is certainly doable. putting batteries on the roof is not a good idea imo. that's a lot of weight up high, plus how are you going to service them? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
putting batteries on the roof is not a good idea imo.  that's a lot of weight up high,  plus how are you going to service them?   highdesertranger

Batteries on roof? WHAAAAT?!?! :s Did I miss something? I've reread and still don't see them. :huh: I may need a nap. :D

anbwb I think I read the post wrong. my bad, maybe I need a nap. highdesertranger

JJPDX said:
I've seen the numerous warnings about not "mixing" battery types- so a 2 X 6 Volt bank plus a 12V is a no-no?  Any other ideas? I guess all 12V?

Live-aboard boats often have multiple battery banks.

You could wire your 12 volt house battery as one bank and your two 6 volt batteries as a separate bank, using a marine battery switch like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...3204560&sr=8-1&keywords=marine+battery+switch

Two switches - one from the charging sources to both batteries and one from the batteries to the fuse box - would allow you to draw power from one bank while charging the other one.

Thank you all! Sorry for the poor wording- NO batteries on the roof. Opt Para has captured more of my idea... have a switch to the "in house" battery bank and a switch to the "roaming" battery- sometimes connected in house, sometimes following the Suitcase Solar to a remote sunny spot.

JiminDenver- I like your method too- can I take the Suitcase solar out form the van up to 50ft and still have it adding into the system along with the roof solar?

thx, jj

Yes, I use multiple systems on a bank. I have them set for the same set points so that they are not fighting each other. Were your controller for the roof system big enough, you could plug the portable panels into it and run them all together. All the panels would have to be 12v and wired in parallel but it would work.

JJPDX said:
can I take the Suitcase solar out form the van up to 50ft and still have it adding into the system along with the roof solar?

Yes.  IF your solar charge controller is big enough to handle the output from both the roof and the portable panels, so be sure you buy one big enough.

JJPDX said:
Sorry for the poor wording- NO batteries on the roof.
I don't think your wording was off. Well, maybe, since I understood it. :p But, nah. Just struck my funny bone to read what HDR wrote and then I had to CYA my own butt just in case it was me. I'd say maybe HDR and I have been drinking the same water but there's a buncha miles that say otherwise. ;) I still need that nap if nobody's taken it. ;)

Now I'll let you all get back to your discussion because you just crossed over the bridge from where I pay attention to where my eyes glaze over just trying to read it, much less understand it. :D

PhilD1954 said:
here is some video. easy setup for very simple system.

Yes! that's how I will start off- I have the Renogy panel now.  Ultimately my questions are about integrating a movable panel and battery into a future hard-monted roof-top panel array and a bank of house batteries.  Can one have a "rouge" battery that can be taken out for a walk with the portable Solar Kit.  Sounds like yes, if one is careful.  And the Smart Switch idea sounds great.

thx!  jj

I have a small battery box, that is portable, I use it for powering mining equipment. but it is separate from my main system, I charge it with a 50 watt panel that is also portable and I use it for a variety of reasons, although I use the panel mostly for recharging this battery box. here a link to my write up, https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-small-battery-box?highlight=battery+box . highdesertranger