mounting solar panels on the side ...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rastaman

Reaction score
On my Truck Camper I am considering mounting 2 100 watt panels on the side in a temporary fashion. that would enable me to use them there when tilted at an angle, or remove them and have them portable to be placed in the sun while I am parked in the shade, and also removed and stored away while driving.
For mounting I am thinking of an upside down J hooks on panels with eyelets on camper type set up. anyone have any ideas on this arrangement????

I have one mounted on my rear hatch- top hangs on a grooved piece of treated 2x4, the bottom has bolts with spacers through the frame ...those are long enough to go through the hatch and have nuts on the inside. Makes it secure, yet easily removable. Extra wire wraps up on a large diameter "spool" under the panel.

Try searching Bob's blog. I seem to remember this setup and the person propped the panels up with extendable painter poles. Jan

No exactly what you were considering, but it occurred to me tha a large piano hinge could be used to attach the panel's to the top of the camper's side, like an awning, but permit the bottom of the panel to swing up and down. The panel could swing almost 180 degrees.

On the bottom, some sort of brackets that would let the panel's be pinned in place during travel. Wing nuts, perhaps, or smaller versions of the pins used holding hitches in the receiver.

If there was some way to make the piano hinges quick disconnect as well, you'd have the best of both worlds

Tricky part, as I see it, is the excess wire needed if you want to unmount the panels. Even on a spool, it creates drag going down the highway. Also, making the panel's secure during travel, so the panel's don't rattle and break, but easy enough to unmount will be a compromise.

It was something I considered briefly, but the project manager (DW) didn't like the idea... Lol

I think I want to weigh in on this ;)
I have panels on my van that I can tilt, or remove and put in the sun. Mine are top mounted so it's a little dif.
I built an angle steel frame that the panels mount in,
that frame has a couple tabs on one end that line up w/ the Mtn bike fork clamps that I have on my racks.
I can pull the skewers (big pin) out of the mounts, line up the frame w/ panels mounted in it, and reskewer including the frame tabs. That gives me the piviting end. The other end gets clamped or pined as works for the racks, yours would be as you needed.

The wires coming from the solar panels I ended as a good metal trailer plug.
The receiver for that plug is mounted high on the wall of the van, just under the gutter.
I can now remove the panels and unplug them.

For an extention I just made up an extention cord of good gauge wire w/ trailer plugs to match. That cord is wrapped up and stored most of the time.

The receiver on the van wall has a nice closable cap if nothing is plug into it.

On the inside I just have to receiver wired to my charge controller, and all the rest is standard.

Thank you, I've been searching the web for what type of connector to use at the outside of the van for portable solar system.

Ahha, a trailer plug it is!!

I want all the wiring and outlets in long before I ever get solar...the wiring will be done during the build but the solar won't go in until I get to someplace like Arizona...date unknown.

Seraphim said:
No exactly what you were considering, but it occurred to me tha a large piano hinge could be used to attach the panel's to the top of the camper's side, like an awning, but permit the bottom of the panel to swing up and down. The panel could swing almost 180 degrees.

On the bottom, some sort of brackets that would let the panel's be pinned in place during travel. Wing nuts, perhaps, or smaller versions of the pins used holding hitches in the receiver.

If there was some way to make the piano hinges quick disconnect as well, you'd have the best of both worlds

Tricky part, as I see it, is the excess wire needed if you want to unmount the panels. Even on a spool, it creates drag going down the highway. Also, making the panel's secure during travel, so the panel's don't rattle and break, but easy enough to unmount will be a compromise.

It was something I considered briefly, but the project manager (DW) didn't like the idea... Lol

Not planning on having them on the side while traveling down the road, thats why a quick connect system is desired. that can also be secure when in use. I have studied 'Strolling Amok' installation and it was helpful.
As far as the wire is concerned I plan on having two sets, shorter for when panels are hanging on the side, and another set when panels are place on the ground.away from camper. As for storage, I already had to raise the TC 3" using 2x6's so I am thinking I could reconstruct that platform to have an opening to slide them under the camper. Or I might have just enough space between the camper and the front of the bed

rastaman said:
Not planning on having them on the side while traveling down the road, thats why a quick connect system is desired. that can also be secure when in use. I have studied 'Strolling Amok' installation and it was helpful.
As far as the wire is concerned I plan on having two sets, shorter for when panels are hanging on the side, and another set when panels are place on the ground.away from camper. As for storage, I already had to raise the TC 3" using 2x6's so I am thinking I could reconstruct that platform to have an opening to slide them under the camper. Or I might have just enough space between the camper and the front of the bed

Sounds like you have a plan, then...

I misunderstood the intent of your original post.

Seraphim said:
Sounds like you have a plan, then...

I misunderstood the intent of your original post.

Oh yes I have a plan....just not sure how to execute it :)

I did a post on mounting them on the side here: (At the bottom I have pics from that post)
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/ingenuous-solar-power-system/

If I were doing it I think I would use the Renology 100 watt flexible panels because they are so light and easy to store. found here:

At the bottom I have pics from that post.

doug-panels-deployed.jpg

doug-panels-down.jpg

like you said your not going to have them on the side while in motion. so I say go for it. the system that bob posted looks good hooks on the top and painters poles on the outer edge. highdesertranger

I used a panel this summer that I could move around, most of the time it was tied on the roof with a sandbag holding it down in the event of wind but when I moved or when I was parked in the shade I shifted it into the sun and set the sandbag on it on the ground. After doing this this summer I am not a fan of moving it back and forth, I found that it is too easy to slip or drop the panel or have it blow away in a big wind, also it is too easy for someone to just walk away with it. I will be looking at making a permanent holding spot on the roof for it, for that reason. I might have to add more panels to accommodate the shade factor, in my mind it is too risky moving it all the time.

flying kurbmaster said:
I used a panel this summer that I could move around, most of the time it was tied on the roof with a sandbag holding it down in the event of wind but when I moved or when I was parked in the shade I shifted it into the sun and set the sandbag on it on the ground. After doing this this summer I am not a fan of moving it back and forth, I found that it is too easy to slip or drop the panel or have it blow away in a big wind, also it is too easy for someone to just walk away with it. I will be looking at making a permanent holding spot on the roof for it, for that reason. I might have to add more panels to accommodate the shade factor, in my mind it is too risky moving it all the time.

I understand your point, however because of the roof that I have mounting them on the roof is not an option. Also I may not have mentioned that once or twice a year I may be needing the panels and battery in an off grid location that I visit, and may not be taking the camper.

akrvbob said:
I did a post on mounting them on the side here: (At the bottom I have pics from that post)

If I were doing it I think I would use the Renology 100 watt flexible panels because they are so light and easy to store. found here:

At the bottom I have pics from that post.

doug-panels-deployed.jpg

doug-panels-down.jpg

Hey Bob...yes I have studied Doug's set up extensively...and will be applying some of his set up.
Oh BTW...just noticed on your signature I don't see any mention of Cody,,,you may want to add him before he logs in and see that he isn't named...may hurt his feelings....
peace