mounting panels on a RV roof

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highdesertranger

R.I.P HDR
Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack wagoneer's thread so I started my own.  does anybody have any experience with mounting panels on a rubber RV roof.  this is a walk on roof.  would the z brackets work?  should I build a rack/frame that attaches on the outer edge?  this is a good roof and was just cleaned and treated so I don't want to do anything that would compromise it.  any ideas?  I have mounted panels on aluminum roofs,  but I have never worked with a rubber roof.  highdesertranger

ummm...I am new to this but if I was guessing? I'd do the rack and outer edge so that you don't break the integrity of the rubber.

John

If you go the adhesive route, be sure you pick one that's recommended by the manufacturer of the rubber roof...I've had 2 cases recently where caulking/sealants failed adhesion on two different membranes. One was fixing someone else's mistake and one was ours, but in both cases I would have thought they'd be fine (butyl and Sikaflex).

I always see RV roof penetrations slathered with caulking which is rather unsightly. I was wondering if you could use the standard EPDM boots we use for roofing penetrations...a few quick searches showed two things: 1) boots are made generally for round pipe penetrations, and 2) they are a bit tall for a low-profile install. Seems like the way to go if can find the right product tho...

thanks for the replies I am leaning to a roof rack type mounting on the outer edge. highdesertranger

HDR you have an RV now?

If it were my RV I think I would attach PVC board (Azek) cleats to the roof, then rubber seal around them, and attach the panels to the cleats. But it sounds like that advice is coming late. I would think you could still put either cleats or angle aluminum on top of the rubber as long as you include a generous bead of sealant underneath and in the screw holes. I wouldn't personally choose to put the z brackets directly to a roof.

no no no, not my RV I was helping someone. haven't done the install yet. going to Renogy on Saturday to buy the panels. TMG I will look into those cleats. highdesertranger

Do the panels have to be roof mounted?

Its nice to be able to park the vehicle in the shade and place the panels in the sun away from the vehicle.

YouTube is your friend!

On the van I went the gutter with a gutter rack and a 240 panel it's been problem free for years. by the way it's still for sale