Mountain Bike

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spirituallifetime

Reaction score
Just acquired a used mountain bicycle, making repairs to it to make it rideable. I may be traveling on it next spring if I can't get my van fixed or replaced. I also have a road racing bike I could use if I get enough strength in my legs to push those racing gears with a load on the bike, I did it when I was younger but not sure I can that I'm older. And I don't think it has clearance in the frame for tires larger than a 700x28c I would prefer a 700x32c with a heavy load on the bike.

The years and health have stepped in the way of bike travel for me.
At one time I enjoyed a trip from AZ up into Ut, back down and into Mexico. I rode for about 1 1/2 yrs. I carried light loads, relying on thrifts for clothes and such. I used a large tent fly as a tent by staking it over the bike and crawling under to sleep.
It was a lot of fun.
Biking now is riding around places like the Q or picking up a few groceries in some small town where we've parked for the night. Still enjoy riding, but can't go far anymore.

Hey, wait a minute...you're driving truck (for the mines??). Don't they pay well enough these days??
Truly sorry to hear your van is down.

Gold prices seem to be down and mining has slowed down, more trucking regulations and electronic logs. Lost about 30% of annual income. But I'm getting by, just getting tired of repairing every thing and paying the bills that just seem to be getting bigger.

Locally I've garnered the moniker 'bike whisperer'. I refurbish bikes, mostly vintage road bikes from the "bike boom" years, late '60's to mid 80's, lugged frames, butted chromoly steel with a nod toward Italian, French, a few Brit, selective Japanese, some early American road stuff. I do 50 or 60 bikes a year, with a little over 60 this year.

I do a few MTB bikes but I really love the elegance and grace of well made steel road bikes. Carbon fiber/alloy sure, lightweight and modern.....but meh.

Some MTB bikes can make decent commuters/touring bikes. I've done and do conversions for some folks by swapping out riser bars and installing street slicks in place of knobbies for riding pavement, smooths out the ride a bit.

Good luck with your bike, be happy to help if I could.

Yeah, I understand. More outgo, less income really sux.
As I recall you were running in the Winnemucca area. Last spring it looked like the mines were going full on and this fall it didn't look much different when we came back thru. Hard to say for sure since we were only there a few days this time tho.

Hopefully it will pick up on your end again.

The Hycroft mine near Winnemucca hired a lot of people early this year then laid them off in late summer or fall. I'm going to the mines in the Carlin area now.

The road bike I have I bought it in 77, it's a Raleigh made in England. It was made for sport/racing has all campagnolo parts on it and is a fast bike. I put new wheels on it in the early 90's with new sprockets increased 1st gear from 19 tooth to about 24 tooth sprocket. Just don't think it will be a good touring bike for me now, I will have to gain more leg muscle to push those kind of gears up a hill!

More power to ya. When I was in my 20s, I could ride a mountain bike for hours and do all kinds of silly stunts. But the last time I road a bicycle not long ago, I ended up with major saddle sores after riding for a few hours. I literally could not ride again for many days! That's when I realized...dang, I'm getting old! I then bought one of those extra large foam cushion seats to replace the stock one. Looks a little retarded having a large seat on a bicycle, it's not like I weigh 400 pounds. It does help some, but not nearly enough, haha.

Hey Spirit, you know truckers never die...they just get a new 'Peterbuilt'.

Casey, Margie and I are both using the wide seats on our bikes. Who cares what it looks like as long as your butt don't ache. Ain't no way I can ride those skinny seats anymore.

ATB, the bike I bought in Q for $40 (with new road ridge MTB tires) is an older lug frame. A Free Spirit, I think built for Sears, but don't know by what company. Good solid bike and I like that the handlebars are old school pullbacks. Not fun on the back anymore to lean forward on MTB bars.
Anyhoo, I like it, price was right, and I see it as one that I can use a long time.

Spirituallifetime said:
The road bike I have I bought it in 77, it's a Raleigh made in England. It was made for sport/racing has all campagnolo parts on it and is a fast bike.

here is my wife's 72 Raleigh Grand Prix that I turned into a fixie (no coasting pedal front or backwards)
it will build some legs on ya!
nice lugged frame if you ask me

Attachments

• CIMG0234 (Small).JPG
    CIMG0234 (Small).JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 18
  • CIMG0235 (Small).JPG
    CIMG0235 (Small).JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 15
Funny reading this post a couple of days ago I pulled out my rear panniers and strapped them on my late 80's Cannondale mountain bike with upgraded components and 1.25 slicks and decided to ride to the neighbouring small city 30 kms away for some groceries. I hadn't done more then 25 ks in years. On the way home, heavily loaded, in a head wind I was wondering if I was crazy, and seriously thought of calling the wife to pick me up. I was hurting on the ride but amazingly enough no pain the next day and butt is not sore on thin seat. however I haven't sat on the actual bike since. I love my Cannondale, Alluminium frame hand made in America, 25 years old, wheels still run true bearings all original, one new chain, new upgraded brakes , new seat other worn out, 4th set of tires, shimano components all going strong, over 40,000kms showing on computer but got it years after I got bike and battery was dead for awhile. Great product.

I have a Giant mb. Bought it this summer for $40. Shop say it is about 25 yrs. old. No suspension but a ball to ride. There are trails all around Quartzsite. So if you're coming, bring em.

For sure, bring your bike to Q. Not only is there plenty of desert trails to ride, its a good way to get around in town....especially if you like checking out the many vendors of all kinds, as we do.
(RV/van goodies are all over under tents at good prices)

Hey C I like that fixie! And I noticed it has the old leather saddle, looks well taken care of. In the early 80's I turned a 10 speed into a single speed with a single speed freewheel, it was great to ride around town.

Wow looks like some good bikes can be bought in the Q!
I wish I could make it to the Q this winter but seem to be committed to working for the winter.

Just purchased Dawes Roundhouse 29 inch full suspension mountain bike. My first one, should be interesting now, seeing I'm going on 66. Will be here next week.

Did a little work on the mountain bike this week. I replaced the seat post with a taller one and fixed the loose handle bars, rides much better now. I will be replacing the broken twist shifters with thumb shifters soon.

I hate gimmicky shifters too, but the last bike had trigger shifters and those were awesome and super smooth

most common mountain bike brands are like, norco, specialized, brodie, kona, trek