Hello

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalartist

Reaction score
I’m a metal artist from Colorado about to become a nomad and working artist on the road.  I’ll be traveling a bit differently than most as I will be riding my custom E-Bike around the country.  I’ll be making an all weather canvas tent and custom trailer to pull all my gear.  As for my art I enjoy making Celtic jewelry.  I’m also interested in building high end computer gaming and workstation systems.  I plan on making all copper cases that are compact yet beautiful designed. I belong to a Makers group here in Colorado and once I get on the road I will be connecting with other maker group to continue working on my projects.  I’m single at the moment. ;)   About 12 years ago my mom passed away from cancer.  I was her care giver for almost 18 years. I did a lot of growing during this period and at this point in my life I just want to do my art and explore our the world.  I am very much a gypsy in spirit.  I’m definitely tired of the rat race and being tied down.  I’m ready to belong to a community of the same mindset.  Also I very much want to help my community in anyway I can, building whatever people need, fixing broken things and just lending a hand.  Anyways, here is to a new way of life and new friends!

We need to see that e-bike and trailer! Welcome!

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have a big adventure in front of you!

Metalartist said:
I’ll be traveling a bit differently than most as I will be riding my custom E-Bike around the country.

Just curious if you are riding a E-Bike and pulling a small trailer, how do you propose to charge said E-Bike? Will you be carrying solar, and if so do you plan on only traveling say 30 to 35 miles every other day considering you will probably need to sit the better part of a day for your battery or batteries to recharge?

Welcome to the CRVL forums! We do need photos! Of the bike, the trailer that you're building, and your artwork. :)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I plan on having several options on generating power... wind, water and solar. I’ll also be carrying propane for emergency needs. I’m still in the process of researching various methods of generating power. I’ll be sharing everything I do with the community including having a YouTube channel. I’m also an archery hunter so I’ll be getting small game as well as fishing. I plan on going deep into the ‘back country’. I’m absolutely thrilled with the adventures that await.

There are some prepper videos on YouTube that a couple spare batteries and a small power pack which can be charged by solar or generator work to allow travel pretty much continuously.

Bullfrog, thanks. There is so much on YouTube, it boggles my mind. I’m definitely going to check out our forum here for tips as well. Once I get everything figured out I’m going to do a video on how I build my energy system as well as making my all weather tent and trailer. I envision everything to be securely fixed and waterproof as I’m riding my bike and keep it as light as possible. I love solving problems. :)

I bought a ebike and I love it they said it would get 30 miles on a charge I would think with 2 or 3 extra batteries you could go 100 miles a day.
for me at 63 with bad knee this would be a great way to do something like this.
I would think like in FL you could ride all the way on the beach from top to bottom, I would think you could travel light and stay in motels and eat out once a day and have a great time.
I don't know about the camping part the weather could make it really miserable, if you have to pay to stay at a park it would probably be worth the extra money to stay in a motel?
I think the best way is to have a partner with a van or camper that would go ahead and find a place to stay and meet up in the after noon.

Metalartist said:
I’ll be traveling a bit differently than most as I will be riding my custom E-Bike around the country.  I’ll be making an all weather canvas tent and custom trailer to pull all my gear.

In 2007 I set out to break the Guinness world record for the longest lawnmower ride through the 48 lower states. You could do something similar on the E-Bike. If you look at my Avatar you will see me on the lawnmower. If you want I can post some some links to newspaper articles about the ride. All you would have to do is document the ride!!!!

Hi JWhite,

E-bikes are pretty amazing. I’m definitely going through the pros and cons. I plan on making an all weather canvas tent. I will have a mini stove as well. I also plan to avoid snow and go South for the winters. At this point I’m also considering a motorcycle, but after posting my idea and asking for people’s thoughts on it, this might not be the way to go. Still, I think anything new that you do in life you should get feedback on before you attempt it.