mount solar panels on the side of my MH?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keysbottles

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2014 Thor Freedom Elite MH.  It has neither solar panels or awnings.  I saw a photo some time ago where solar panels were hinged to a MH where the awning would normally be mounted.  They folded the panels against the side of the MH during travel and raised them in a opened awning profile when stopped.  Is this a practical idea?  There would be some advantages, easier for an old guy to keep the panels clean w/o climbing, could use the large Santan Panels.  also provide a shade.  What do y'all think?  Thanks Don

I've seen it done by several people. You just need to make sure your anchors are secure.

also you have to be very careful if you plan on boondocking. if I had those panels they would be ripped right off the side PDQ. all my vehicles have extensive desert pin-stripping. top to bottom, front to rear. highdesertranger

there is a recent thread on this subject that has a discussion and links about this very thing. You should search it out in the forum. No real need for an additional thread on it since the other one was within a few weeks of this time frame.