Motorized bike, anyone have one?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really want an e-bike. not one with pedals really but I just skimmed this thread, I will have another look.

Willy said:
You can utilize compression braking with 4 strokes..

oh yeah! its quite an art form when taken to the extreme and one of the fastest ways in racing to get around some corners.

Local Community support centre has a project going to help unemployed youth build DIY EV bikes for skill development and self esteem. Most battery packs are 18650 cells from discarded Laptops. The electronics for charging and BMS are very cheap online. I see lots of innovative and novel drive systems.

My recent interest in Lithium batteries has rewoken motivation to have an eBike. Small detour as I was given a petrol powered quad, free, because the petrol powered bit is very unwell. So, while researching motors for the quad project, I have come across electric powered skateboards as an alternative to an eBike to use in urban settings. I like the skateboard idea as you take it with you when shopping rather than risking the theft of a bike left chained somewhere.

Ticklebellly said:
 So, while researching motors for the quad project, I have come across electric powered skateboards as an alternative to an eBike to use in urban settings.   I like the skateboard idea as you take it with you when shopping rather than risking the theft of a bike left chained somewhere.

I've read that those can dump you face-first instantaneously and because of that have a terrible safety record, with accidents tending to be surprisingly severe even at low speeds.  No time to even put your hands out or, sometimes, turn your head.  When the battery is overwhelmed by a steep hill or too high a load, it can cut off suddenly so as not to damage itself.  Unfortunately that can mean damaging you.