Motorized bike, anyone have one?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So true about the HF engines. All I did was take the pedal out of the frame and use a MAP torch to heat and bend the pedals to clear the width of the engine. I like the reviews of the Subaru engines but I had less than $300 in my bicycle total after building it with a friction drive

I thought about friction drive, simple & light, but I'm not too sure about how it would handle a lotta dirt & mud on the tire. Plan to be in the backwoods a lot..  ..Willy.

Willy<br>Dirt is okay but mud not so good. FDs have a lot going for them as you mention, light and simple, but their biggest drawback is wet going reducing friction and slipping. On pavement they are great but for back country going with an aggressive knobby tread, chain or belt is gonna be better. Of course, there are drawbacks to those too like everything else.

hey moby t, kind duh, had a change of heart on these&nbsp; motrcycles. to much money for one thing, and for time i would be on&nbsp;it. an you got to be crazy for driving around on one while people talk on there cell phones. an plus a live in a 55 an older community, most of them don't even have a license, plus i'am old=dead meat. ok now&nbsp;over that&nbsp;part. now some more questions, for a ct70 or ct90 do you need a motorcycle license to drive one? an i guess they don't make them any more?&nbsp; i think riding&nbsp; trails, and&nbsp;around the camp ground. would work for this old guy. gary

Moby T said:
I have a 1974 Honda CT70 that is mounted to the front of my van. &nbsp;100mpg. 150lbs.<br>
<br><br>Doesn't look legal. It blocks your front facing turn signals and headlights.<br><br>
AltTransBikes said:
<br id="tinymce" class="mceContentBody ">To level out the hills some, I added an assist, 35cc 4 stroke made by Subaru, industrial duty motor, smooth, quiet and highly reliable.<br>
<br><br>I had a 40cc goped style scooter (the first one I ever had) with a 2 cycle Robins Subaru engine. Later on the company switched to the 35cc 4 cycle RS engine before going out of business. They were a USA based company out of AZ or someplace around there. It was Mosquito.. but then they changed their name to something else. I had the "Stinger" model.<br><br>Here's a photo of the one I had with an aftermarket front fork that added front suspenion. It came with NO suspension.<br><br>
normal_000_2372.jpg
<br><br>This page talks about (and still sells??) the 4 cycle version:<br>http://www.scooter-source.com/mosquito-stinger-4x-gas-powered-scooter-pd453410119.html

hey cubey, thanks for the&nbsp;link on the scooters,i think that they are more&nbsp;my style!! a 50cc an under i don't need a motorcycle permit ?&nbsp; gary

It depends on the state's laws where you are. They usually require it not have manual gears if the law allows no license for below 50cc.

&nbsp;That hub-clamp fitting is pretty skookum.. but it's for a coaster hub only. Would like to get something similar that fit on a front wheel or a 'regular' rear wheel. Would then like to attach a large pulley to it instead and have belt drive. Actually, I kinda wonder how strong the freewheeling mechanism is on a cassette style rear wheel. Would be cool to have my little Huasheng 4 cycle driving the front. It came with the lousy 'hoot' gearbox, so I'm looking at alternative drivetrains now. Problem is that living in BC means there's squat when it comes to availability and reasonable price. ..Willy.&nbsp;

lets ride, dumb a$$&nbsp;me just bought a honda rackus 50 cc.!!! so if you don't see any post's from me, its because gandma or pa took me out.youtube has alot of&nbsp;video's on the ruskus. i'll be dead in a week.gary

Cubey said:
It depends on the state's laws where you are. They usually require it not have manual gears if the law allows no license for below 50cc.
<br><br><br><br>Depends on where you live. In many residential areas (including mine), these are a noise nuisance and people complain, so I think they're banned. They should be illegal on sidewalks everywhere.&nbsp; And on the road, you're usually way too slow and risking road rage to even death. They're definitely not allowed in parks and such.<br><br>I doubt most larger cities would allow these. When those Pocket-bikes came out, the streets and sidewalks were littered with them. Little kids, adults who lost their license or can't afford insurance, drug dealers, etc. used them. Cutting in front of cars...cars can't see them well, etc. Our city banned them.&nbsp; Less than 49cc mopeds are now required to get registered, helmet, etc. <br><br><br><br>

A small, quiet 4 stroke engine, like the Honda 35 or Robin/Subaru 35 is very quiet, at least compared to the exhaust note of 2 stroke engines of similar size. The 2 strokes have that annoying weedwacker ping. The China made 2 stroke motored bike kits are also not very quiet and another reason I've come to avoid them, besides being less than reliable.<br><br>I'm describing a motor assisted <em>bicycle</em> so as far as riding with traffic, I don't try to mix it up or keep up with traffic I ride like I would on any bicycle, best to pick your routes, observe traffic laws and rules of the road, and expect the same considerations any bicyclist would get. In our car centered world it is always a good idea to ride like your invisible but that's the same lesson experienced motorcyclists come to advise.

AltTransBikes said:
A small, quiet 4 stroke engine, like the Honda 35 or Robin/Subaru 35 is very quiet, at least compared to the exhaust note of 2 stroke engines of similar size.&nbsp;
<br><br><br>Are these very expensive for a fully built bike?<br><br>I have 2 electric bikes with SLA batteries. Low end Currie bikes $300-500. Main problem is that they're too heavy (80-100 lbs). I'm in excellent shape, so only use the motor sparingly. The $500 one is a nice folding bike, but only 1-speed. The bike is pretty cheaply made, but solid/heavy...probably to avoid lawsuits due to the torque of the motor. <br><br>Weird, but the price went up on these for essentially the same bike. $300 one is now $550.<br><br><br>

MK7<br>I just built one for a guy, he picked it up today, it ran around $800 (using his bike). He has an electric bike but it won't pull the hilltown terrain we have around here, he has about 700' of elevation gain in the last mile on the road home.&nbsp;<br><br>Weight can be a problem with eBikes, which is very dependent on battery chemistry. SLAs being the heaviest. LiOn is lighter and LiFePo4 lighter still but costs rise dramatically of course with more advanced chemistry. A 1000w, 20ah LiFePo4 is gonna run between $500 and $600 just for the battery. <br><br>The ICE bikes I build weigh under 50 lbs, some closer to 40.<br><br>

&nbsp;I've looked at E-bikes, but the cost of going 'green' leaves me green and would suck the 'green' outta my wallet. Thing is, spending so much time in the mountains, charging also becomes a bear and hill climbing problematic. There's also a problem with the electronics insofar as I've read posts where someone has burnt up a controller.. and the good ones ain't cheap. On top of all that, being mechanically inclined, I'd have no problem tearing into an engine.. but testing MOSFET's 'n diodes and whatnot leaves me cold. An ICE powered bike is the simplest solution for me.&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;One thing I'd like to find out is if Bamabikeguy built his own rear pulley, or bought it. If he built it, I'd like to see a step-by-step. ..Willy.

Willy<br>BBG rode and built his bikes with the GEBE (Golden Eagle) drive assemblies and liked them as he did the Robin/Subaru engines, which I favor and build with. I'm a little more hesitant on the GEBE drives than he was though, they can be a little finicky with componentry, belt tracking, etc. There are a number of DIY versions addressing wheel and sheave that have been done, most modeling something along the lines of what Whizzer used. Obviously a much beefed up wheel becomes commonsense. Still, driving off spokes is something that just runs against the grain in my nature. BTW, Paul was a friend and was a voice in the MAB world sorely missed.

&nbsp;I like the relative simplicity of the GEBE system. Got on their website tho, and they haven't&nbsp; made a front pulley system for the motor I've got, a Huasheng without the integral clutch (just the straight shaft). Bummer. ..Willy.

I think people who burns up the controllers of the e-bikes are the ones trying to boost the power by adding extra batteries. I don't have ton of experience with e-bikes, but I do have 2 of them for over 8 years now. They run fine, just the batteries needed replacing. They're fun, just very heavy for the cheaper SLA battery versions. For my bikes, the controller is part of the throttle....just buy it from the MFG and replace it.

No edit.<br>Details as follows:<br>&nbsp;<br>250cc<br>About 300 lbs.<br><br>No, I Don't follow the rules.

Latest posts