Motion sensor alarm system

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svenn

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on motion sensing alarms I could install on the outside of my truck to stop harassers while I'm sleeping?  

Car alarm systems don't work because I'm told they will go off if I move inside.  I assume my only hope is to get an home flood light/alarm system

One guy I know has a motion sensor light like the type you find at Home Depot. It's tied into his solar batteries.
Not very stealth in the city tho.

bindi&us said:
One guy I know has a motion sensor light like the type you find at Home Depot. It's tied into his solar batteries.
Not very stealth in the city tho.

It isn't even very stealth out in the boonies either if it's who I think it is.... :D

The darn thing kept going off during the night every time the wind blew the bushes in the area. Either that or there were animals walking around the campsite!!

Sven, are you already being harassed or do you just anticipate being harassed! The reason I ask is that I see so many of those new to van dwelling anticipate all kinds of problems that just don't exist.

I'm new, finishing up my F-150 canopy conversion (full bathroom inside!) :)

I've van-camped before and want to sleep with the least amount of worry. I read that someone here used a VIPER security system?

Gonna piss off other campers if you have a noise making alarm. 
Most folks respect privacy when doors are closed or if a sheet is hanging over the opening.

My Sprinter came with a standard alarm that has a motion sensor. However, it has a feature that will deactivate the motion sensor part of the alarm.

I only use this when I’m going to sleep in urban areas and lock the doors. This way the alarm will not activate if I roll over in bed, but will if the doors are opened without a key. While this came built in the Sprinter, I’m sure it could be added as a feature to other alarms.

That said, I’ve been on the road 11 months and have travelled through 23 states without any harassment.

Damian

Motion Detectors

I have one that I bought at Costco, takes AA Batteries for my Travel Trailer. I figured it'd be good for security when camping. Damn thing never seems to turn off. It now lives in the kitchen drawer...

ZoNiE said:
I have one that I bought at Costco, takes AA Batteries for my Travel Trailer. I figured it'd be good for security when camping. Damn thing never seems to turn off. It now lives in the kitchen drawer...

Must be really irritating when you go for a late nite snack.......
KinA

those motion detectors around a campsite tend to cause a lot of false alarms. animals set them off, deer in particular. highdesertranger

What about a beam trip-line set up on the side-view mirrors back to the taillights, then across the rear of the truck.  It would go off only when someone approaches a few inches from the vehicle?

AX-70TN.jpg

https://www.surveillance-video.com/...-Xm7GM-k80YTN56SfmDCc1bKwC2scI8bg7RoCegjw_wcB

Put out a perimeter trip wire with a few claymores and maybe a few sentries.Seriously,the best alarm is also your best friend and companion.Your dog.

I leave a huge paid of boots outside my door and a blood stained apron......never had any visitors. No seriously, I bought a portable motion sensor with a light...and never used them. I reckon the danger to perception ratio is 1:1000

Happy trails,

The Wandered

Svenn, you odd to buy the Dakota Murs Alert mobile kit. There is a bunch of way you can use em. I bot the 1 receiver and 1 transmitter. I liked em so much, so I went and bot two more transmitters. Now I have three. Planning on getting one more. I've had these well over a year and they still work great.
I planning on taking em with me when I start living on the road.
 At the present time I use them on a peace of property I have about 1/2 mile from where I live. I have one in a bird house, one in a old mobile home I use for storage and the other one is in a barn.
I had them over a year and use lithium batteries, which last about 3 to 4 months.I read somewhere that they been known to transmit up to 6 miles where there's no trees or buildings. Should work good in the desert.

http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstor...kota-murs-alert-mobile-kit-murs-ht-kit-p=3709

I have a car alarm, but it only goes off if someone tries the door handles. There is also a panic button on the fob, horn and lights.

Go to any gun range and gather up some empty bullet casings. Scatter them about the outside of the vehicle. Just Kidding.
How about putting an inside lock on the doors? I Knew a lady truck driver that would tie the doors together. Even with a slim Jim, nobody was getting in.

To update this thread, I came up with the (much better) solution of backup sensors that would beep if an object is approaching from 6ft or closer... the same ones newer cars have on the rear bumper. I'm exhausted from the rest of my conversion right now but I was hoping to find a wireless version without drilling holes... otherwise I might just pay cartoys or someone to do it

634176357896490701.jpg