Most frequently used vehicles for Van Dwelling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterPiper

Reaction score
I see quite a few posts where people live in a Prius.
I would think Dodge Caravans are also quite popular.

What are the most popular / most often seen vehicles used for RV Dwelling on a budget (ie....under 30k?)

Standard old RWD cargo or passenger vans. Probably more of them than anything else.

Sometimes I wish I had a smaller van like a Caravan for the better MPG.

The best for me though would be a VW Vanagon with an EFI Subaru engine installed.

slow2day said:
Standard old RWD cargo or passenger vans. Probably more of them than anything else.

Sometimes I wish I had a smaller van like a Caravan for the better MPG.

The best for me though would be a VW Vanagon with an EFI Subaru engine installed.

With gas prices over $3.00 gal and more increases probably on the way fuel costs can really eat into ones budget.

I would suspect that the popularity of the larger vehicles will decreased proportionally with gasoline prices making the vehicles with better gas prices much more desirable over time.  All this assuming there is no magic rebound in the US economy any time soon.

Or, people will just find a location and stay put more.

I have one of those large RWD cargo vans... yes, I'm not driving as much as I'd like to these days. Gas in this small town is just over $4.60 right now. I wouldn't want to live in anything smaller at this point in my life.

wow.  $4.60 would really hurt.  I paid $3.19 for regular last week in my travels but that's in the Southeast.

Yes, smaller spaces are harder spaces for sure.  I guess maybe you have to figure how much you save without a mortgage or rent (far less than gasoline expenses) and consider that ?

The Ford transit is a newer popular one. Its probably the way I would go if I ever decide my 4Runner is not enough.

Excellent.  hadn't thought of that one.
Changed your reputation up one for that because you named two vehicles in one post   :thumbsup:

The same vans in the US appear to have larger capacity engines than in Europe!

The UK Fiat Doblo Cargo XL (long wheelbase, high roof) can be had with the award winning 1.3 litre 16 valve diesel engine, or the 1.6 litre or 2.0 litre.

I understand that the US version Dodge Ram (short wheelbase, low roof) equivalent has a 2.0 litre or larger engine as standard.

Even earlier models of the long wheelbase, high roof Doblo were able to achieve excellent MPG, with the best I ever read of being 69 MPG (and that van had a real oak campervan build out!).

The smaller engines could be due to the horrific petrol and diesel costs (especially in the UK).

The UK spec Fiat Doblo Cargo XL (long wheelbase, high roof) has an award winning cargo capacity, making it an excellent choice for a camper conversion, especially with the 1.3 litre or 1.6 litre 16 valve engines for excellent fuel economy for a van with that much cargo (living) space!

Which is why it's my choice, and a European converter has built an underfloor slide out drawer/platform which holds 45 litres of gear and is virtually undetectable when closed.

Fuel costs are my priority for selecting a van (I'd love a Transit Custom, long wheelbase high roof, but the fuel economy is vastly different to the Doblo, and that equates to hugely more expensive fuel bills.

The [/size][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Fiat Doblo with only 1500lb weight capacity really limits it to a passenger vehicle, even with the upgrade to 2000lb. It must be super slow with anything in it, but that gas mileage is just insane. [/font][/font][/color]

Have Ram 3500 with fuel transfer 70 gal in the bed, not travelling a lot now. but i stayed in some area for months before was in Arozina when fuel was cheap.. BLM lands

I see a lot of Chevy Express cargo vans. A lot of Ford 250's and 350's too. I have a 2017 GMC Savanna 2500. It's perfect for me when I go adventuring alone but space can get cramped and crowded when wifey comes along. My next van will be the Ford Transit Mid Roof....

I predict we will see inflation continue for a few months, but I don't believe it will last more than a year at most. I believe we will be seeing changes in the financial system (eg collapse of central banks and elimination of the Federal Reserve) which will ultimately bring a better situation for all of us. That won't happen overnight but I do believe within a year we will see things improve quite a bit and inflation will go away.

The Ford transit is a newer popular one. Its probably the way I would go if I ever decide my 4Runner is not enough.
I can't imagine giving up my 4Runner. I am able to get to places that are unthinkable for a lower clearance, RWD van. It is a bit cramped in the 4Runner, however. I am thinking at some point I will get a smallish trailer with at least the same ground clearance as the 4Runner.

I predict we will see inflation continue for a few months, but I don't believe it will last more than a year at most. I believe we will be seeing changes in the financial system (eg collapse of central banks and elimination of the Federal Reserve) which will ultimately bring a better situation for all of us. That won't happen overnight but I do believe within a year we will see things improve quite a bit and inflation will go away.
I would also add to your prediction that in the coming months/year or so there will be a lot of vans and other "nomad desirable" type vehicles for sale. The whole covid thing prompted a lot of people to try the lifestyle but I suspect many are realizing it isn't as romantic as they had hoped. As the covid thing falls apart, many are going to be returning to the sticks and bricks lifestyle with flushing toilets, unlimited hot water showers, etc.

I would also add to your prediction that in the coming months/year or so there will be a lot of vans and other "nomad desirable" type vehicles for sale. The whole covid thing prompted a lot of people to try the lifestyle but I suspect many are realizing it isn't as romantic as they had hoped. As the covid thing falls apart, many are going to be returning to the sticks and bricks lifestyle with flushing toilets, unlimited hot water showers, etc.
This is my general thinking as well but it's hard to make predictions when you can see such contradictory reporting. You can see a report that cargo container ships waiting off westcoast harbors are down something like 40% and another report the same week that inflation will remain high longer than expected with rent, food and used vehicles (specifically up 38%). being the most effected. How would anyone make sense of that?!?!
I'm just starting to see a very slight uptick in used mini vans in the mid Atlantic area wherut they are definitely running 30% higher than they were a year ago or so ago.
Another factor in all of this may have been the movie "Nomadland" which I both liked andred at the same time it might make my life more expensive.
I'm curious what people think of know they're spending each month on van life? Are many people able to keep expenses down undder a $1000/month?

I have no doubts that the movie Nomadland had a huge effect much in the same way Hunger Games was a boon for archery sales. I wonder how many archery sets are now sitting in closets never to be used again and eventually winding up at garage sales.

I would also add to your prediction that in the coming months/year or so there will be a lot of vans and other "nomad desirable" type vehicles for sale.
I sure hope so. It is really depressing trying to find any reasonably priced adventure vehicle these days.

I also speculate that with the supply chain issues, semiconductor shortages, etc., this has also affected nomad friendly vehicles. A friend of mine who is a car salesman has been saying for the past year or so, they simply cannot stock enough vehicles, new or used, to meet demand. So, speculating here, I suspect a lot of vehicles that are desirable for nomads are also being bought up by people who have no intention of living in it but merely want/need a vehicle.

I seriously think in another year or maybe two, it is going to be a buyer's market for vehicles.

I have no doubts that the movie Nomadland had a huge effect much in the same way Hunger Games was a boon for archery sales. I wonder how many archery sets are now sitting in closets never to be used again and eventually winding up at garage sales.
Hey, maybe we'll be able to pick up a van and a bow and arrow at great prices soon!

I also speculate that with the supply chain issues, semiconductor shortages, etc., this has also affected nomad friendly vehicles. A friend of mine who is a car salesman has been saying for the past year or so, they simply cannot stock enough vehicles, new or used, to meet demand. So, speculating here, I suspect a lot of vehicles that are desirable for nomads are also being bought up by people who have no intention of living in it but merely want/need a vehicle.

I seriously think in another year or maybe two, it is going to be a buyer's market for vehicles.
Geez, you think it will take that long then?

Latest posts