Most extreme measures to save money, rig weight and fuel?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
This is a thread to list the most extreme measures to save money, moving rig weight and fuel. We are NOT going to delve into the thought processes, rationalizations, justifications and/or pissed away lives of the people who perform said measures.

This thread would belong in "money matters", if the thread was just listing extreme measures to save money. I believe it belongs in this forum because it pertains moving weight and fuel as well.

Get a tune up from a mechanic. My 91 Dodge gets a 14mpg average, loaded.

Not only is your question vague and worded strangely, but you also do not properly understand the learning process. Without the "WHY?" most of your answers will be worthless.

GotSmart said:
Get a tune up from a mechanic.  My 91 Dodge gets a 14mpg average, loaded.

This is off topic but I'll reply for the record: I would LOVE a deep tune-up on the van, theres just no money for it. Heck, theres not even enough money to get the transmission looked at by a skilled mechanic.

GotSmart Wrote: Get a tune up from a mechanic.  My 91 Dodge gets a 14mpg average said:
This is off topic but I'll reply for the record: I would LOVE a deep tune-up on the van, theres just no money for it. Heck, theres not even enough  money to get the transmission looked at by a skilled mechanic.

That is extreme measures to me!  I am the one who replaced the top end while living in the desert!  

So how can you finance a gasification plant???   :huh:

You want to move massive amounts of weight and fuel?  Get a freight train.  They haved moved from wood power, to diesel because it is more efficient.

GotSmart said:
You want to move massive amounts of weight and fuel?  Get a freight train.  They haved moved from wood power, to diesel because it is more efficient.

You're hijacking my thread!

What are the most extreme things people have done to to save money, rig weight and fuel?

FROM TEXAS JAYBIRD
O.K. FELLAS....STAND BACK 'CUZ I KNOW THIS ONE!!!!!!      the answer is    :D :D :D     TO BE REALLY EXTREME AND   "TO HAVE MONEY TO BUY FUEL TO LOAD A RIG PLUMB  UP AND GO SOME WHERE" THEY COULD TAKE A CLUE FROM THE GROUP  SHA NA NA   .........AND IF ABLE TO WORK.........."GET A JOB!...NA NA-NA NA NA NA NA,          THANK YOU VERY MUCH       :angel:

I don't know if this would be considered extreme, but I know some people who have swapped out their rear end / differential to get one with a better highway gearing ratio for better MPG.

Get a Tesla Model X , that's an extreme way to save money,rig weight and fuel.
Well , after you pay for it anyway.

to get better mpg I am converting to a diesel engine. is that on topic. highdesertranger

debit.servus said:
This is a thread to list the most extreme measures to save money, moving rig weight and fuel. We are NOT going to delve into the thought processes, rationalizations, justifications and/or pissed away lives of the people who perform said measures.

This thread would belong in "money matters", if the thread was just listing extreme measures to save money. I believe it belongs in this forum because it pertains moving weight and fuel as well.

Steal gas....That's pretty extreme...

Sold a motorcycle to save buying trailer/hitch hauler, MPG and insurance.... Only to realize life sucks without having a motorcycle to call your own and having to buy another one.
Lesson learned...

Swaping out the v6 for v8 should work out to be the same MPG loaded up as empty with v6, that's my story an I'm sticking to it