Mosquito zapper devices

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't the poor skeeters just be trapped somehow and relocated?

I tried a bug zapper once. It was the normal sized plug in the extension cord kind that you hung up outside. Thought to leave it going to reduce mosquitos in the area around the yard. It worked for a little while but eventually so many got killed in it they literally clogged it up and it would no longer work. This was after only a few hours. So it would take some intensive cleaning and maintenance to keep it going, wasn't worth all the work in the end. I even tried some Pam non stick spray (ha ha) on the killing grate, but it didn't work, still clogged up. This wouldn't happen on a small one inside I'm sure, but keep in mind they will need to be cleaned, as the bugs tend to stick where they are killed.

LeeRevell said:
Where Skeeters are concerned, I don't do "catch & release"!

After experiencing the noseeums of Florida and the gulf coast, I now sort of like skeeters. They aint nuttin.

I have no experience with these bug zappers. the main reason is that people that have tried them say they don't work on skeeters. does anybody have any real life experiences with them on skeeters? highdesertranger

The one I have works on mosquitos. We recently had a bad outbreak and we had no problems, except for all the dead bodies piling up. But maybe it doesn't work and they were commiting suicide by running into the metal frame around the light.

caseyc said:
I went ahead and bought both devices, since I'm willing to give it a try.

Caseyc - Can you clarify this statement from the Amazon listing. . ."Sterilization of photocatalytic, organic decomposition purify cigarette smoke and other componenets like Formaldehyde" Does it help to negate these smells / odors? I'm sensitive to both cigarette smoke and formaldehyde so this might have double benefits for me.

Don't know if it's a new breed of skeeters or if I've changed significantly, but this is the first summer in years that they've bothered me. Whatever it is I'm ready for it to change back! :dodgy:

I have no idea what that means, sounds like a bunch of gobbledy-gook. I don't have that product yet, still waiting for the Amazon shipment to arrive. My Amazon status says the product is arriving from Korea, or somewhere far away. What the heck?? I did get that fly swatter like product, but haven't put any batteries in it yet, haha.

kyonu said:
Healthy skin oils can also mask the CO2 around your body which makes them not come near you, such as coconut oil, avocado oil, etc.

Coconut oil is healthy to eat and for your skin, but... it doesn't absorb/evaporate quickly on your skin like other lotions, creams, etc. you may use for the skin.  A few hours after applying it, it will still be wet on your skin.  So you will have oil stains on your clothes, bedding, etc.