Recommendations on getting a roof rack put on

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markw

Reaction score
So I have a 2005 Kia Sedona that I purchased back in December. Only real issue I have with it is that it does not have a roof rack. The reason this is an issue is that I want something to install my flexible solar panels to (though I'm considering using the flexibles as portables and getting fixed installed on the roof but that will be down the road...for now the flexibles is what I have to work with) as well as attaching an awning room system.

These are the panels I have (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W21FRBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1) I have 2 of them.

Look for what is available from Kia or aftermarket.....I saw some on GOOGLE.......

I've only mounted rigid panels to roof racks....what's the plan?

The plan is to sort of make them semi-rigid with metal edging all around (think something similar to a metal picture frame that holds the picture within the edges of the frame itself) and something like corrugated fiberboard underneath for ventilation, then attach the whole thing to the roof rack similar to how you would with rigid. The goal is to make them removable without them ending up with gunk on them from like Eterna bond or similar.

This will be temporary as I eventually intend to put rigid up and use these as portables for the solar charge controller. For now, though, these panels are what I have to work with.

I am pretty open to other suggestions for attaching them if someone has a better way. At this stage, though, if I can avoid it I'm not quite comfy yet drilling holes in the roof...I'll get there just not there quite yet. I mean I can see how it would work (such as grommets, caulking or some other medium to make it waterproof etc...) I'm just not quite there yet. I know at the very least I will have to end up drilling one hole to run the cables into the van...and I'm not looking forward to it.

I did see a video a while back where a guy attached them with t-nuts in tracks that were bonded to the roof...but I'm not sure if I want to go that way.

One 250 watt rigid panel from SanTan Solar is like $50 I believe. You most likely will spend over that for hardware and materials to temporarily mount the panels you have and possibly damage them doing so. With no holes means glue or tape and no mess means it won’t stick well. There are expensive racks that mount in the door openings or rails but the cost to me isn’t justified to save putting a few holes in the roof of an almost 20 year old Kia. Personally I would go ahead and get the rigid panels and mount them to a permanent rack and not risk damaging the expensive flexible panels just for temporary use.

Most medium to large cities have companies that install roof racks. Some of them even have companies that sell and install pre-owned racks.

Forget about putting the portables up top, they will not last well. But after you put a decent panel on the rack do keep the flex panel. Then you can park the car in the shade on really hot days and use it as a alternate input source. Being under the trees is a lot more effective for shade than hanging a piece of awning off the side.

One 250 watt rigid panel from SanTan Solar is like $50 I believe. You most likely will spend over that for hardware and materials to temporarily mount the panels you have and possibly damage them doing so. With no holes means glue or tape and no mess means it won’t stick well. There are expensive racks that mount in the door openings or rails but the cost to me isn’t justified to save putting a few holes in the roof of an almost 20 year old Kia. Personally I would go ahead and get the rigid panels and mount them to a permanent rack and not risk damaging the expensive flexible panels just for temporary use.
It's not "damaging the van" that concerns me regarding putting holes in it... it's possibly not getting them sealed up well enough to prevent water getting in.

Also, if I can get a 250 watt panel for fifty bucks, I will probably go that route instead.