Mosquito zapper devices

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyc

Reaction score
Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2, which the human body puts off a lot of, which is why they are attracted to us. Zappers use a type of light that that mosquitoes can easily see, and that puts off CO2 in a spectrum (as far as I'm aware), so naturally they are more attracted to it than us. So I'd say they work, scientifically. :)

Hmm, interesting. But that doesn't explain why mosquitos only seem to bite my GF but not me. Maybe she's giving out more CO2, and I'm not worth the bother? Seriously, no exaggeration. Mosquitos don't bite me, but they love her for whatever reason. Weird.

While the Skeeters are indeed attracted to CO2, they can also be repelled by our eating certain things. Garlic and sulphur are the primary things that turn them off. So, load that pizza and lasagna up and go skeeter-free! :D
Of course, it may repel the S.O. too...... :(

caseyc said:
Hmm, interesting. But that doesn't explain why mosquitos only seem to bite my GF but not me. Maybe she's giving out more CO2, and I'm not worth the bother? Seriously, no exaggeration. Mosquitos don't bite me, but they love her for whatever reason. Weird.

I'm the same way. They love to chow down on the delicious skin of my lady friend, but avoid me at all costs. It's very strange. However, I can't remember where I read the article, but women do put off more CO2 than men, because their bodies are generally more active and naturally more healthy than a man of the same age (without modification, of course.) This could be why! Physically and etymologically, women are indeed superior humans. :blush:

Anyways, as stated, garlic is a good way to rid them of your area. Healthy skin oils can also mask the CO2 around your body which makes them not come near you, such as coconut oil, avocado oil, etc.

those swatter zappers are fun!! They'll take out wasps too.

Those devices are designed to attract the bugs you don't want around you. Can you keep it far away from your bed?

How true the skeeters chow down on my wife a lot more than me. In Florida when the no-see-ums nats are out (they run in cycles of some sort somewhere around 3 weeks just a guess) you better get inside somewhere as they are relentless.

Maybe too much info but what I want to know is why I sweat like a pig (and I am a skinny guy) and the wife not a drop. She won't even want ac until its over 90.
A SEEKER

I went ahead and bought both devices, since I'm willing to give it a try. It's really all for the GF, doesn't benefit me since mosquitos don't care for my blood. I don't know why, since I am rich in protein from all the beef and pork I eat, hah! I feel sorry for her whenever mosquitos bite her, which is often, so I'm willing to anything to help her.

The reason I got the first device is cuz it's double AA battery powered, plus I think it's also USB powered. Hopefully the little critters will be attracted to the light and get zapped to death. I will place the thing on top of dashboard. I have a curtain behind the front captain seats to help cover the light that it will emit.

As for the swatter zapper, I got that particular model because it takes D size batteries instead of the usual AA size, so hopefully more zap power will be emitted.

And yes, I also have that extra powerful 100% Deet stuff in a bottle from REI sports which I spray around the interior of the van. That sort of helps, but not really since my GF isn't willing to have that spray on her skin. She says it makes her sneeze.

Get a new girl friend and return your purchases.

Lol, lol.

I've got one that works off 12v that I picked up in Quartzite abt. 5 years ago. ..Willy.

I have a solar bug zapper (similar to this one) that I bought at Home Depot. It seems to work pretty decently. What I like is that I don't have to keep batteries in it and I don't have to string an extension cord. I do love those specialized solar powered things. I also have a couple of cheapie $1 solar lights that we use to light near the entry door. Gives off just the right amount of light without lighting up the whole campground. I still need to buy a couple solar powered exhaust fans for the bus. I can put them anywhere in the bus and not worry about having to run electric to it.

caseyc said:
And yes, I also have that extra powerful 100% Deet stuff in a bottle from REI sports which I spray around the interior of the van. That sort of helps, but not really since my GF isn't willing to have that spray on her skin. She says it makes her sneeze.

Be careful with DEET - it damages nylon and some plastics! I ruined a digital watch once, and crazed some small areas on my cellphone case.
Had a buddy once leave a very noticible fingerprint in the frame of a synthetic-framed 9mm pistol! That's some powerful bug dope!

compassrose said:
I have a solar bug zapper (similar to this one) that I bought at Home Depot. It seems to work pretty decently. What I like is that I don't have to keep batteries in it and I don't have to string an extension cord. I do love those specialized solar powered things. I also have a couple of cheapie $1 solar lights that we use to light near the entry door. Gives off just the right amount of light without lighting up the whole campground. I still need to buy a couple solar powered exhaust fans for the bus. I can put them anywhere in the bus and not worry about having to run electric to it.

I also have a solar powered bug zapper, and also a solar powered racquet zapper, and love them both.

I've never had much luck with solar electric panels, but individual solar items are really great. And solar hot water is great too.

I bought a whole case of those dollar store solar yard lights, and they are killer. I've been using them for indoor lighting, and like them a lot. One or two gives me plenty of light to do almost anything. For a buck, it's hard to go wrong. Got a little solar powered fan at the dollar store the other day too, it is neat, it hangs from a string around your neck and blows the air upward.

Cabelas sells a mosquito net that looks large enough to be used over your bed.

Regards
John

Thanks for the warning. Yes, I had already read about that from Amazon reviews about the product prior to using. That's why I only spray the stuff on small hand towels and hang them around the ceiling of the van. Plus spray onto parts of clothing as well, such as the back of the pajama collar, cuffs, etc. I don't spray the stuff on skin, nor onto plastic, nor onto anything else.

LeeRevell said:
Be careful with DEET - it damages nylon and some plastics! I ruined a digital watch once, and crazed some small areas on my cellphone case.
Had a buddy once leave a very noticible fingerprint in the frame of a synthetic-framed 9mm pistol! That's some powerful bug dope!

I leave my ceiling vent blowing air out overnight. I like to think the fan blows CO2 away from my cracked doors/windows where the suckers might get in. The one's that do get in end up stuck to the vent screen. I've not had a problem with getting bit.

Good luck!

Latest posts