More New Mexico Gold

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL. Yeah, the "drive right up to it first time" was the part that got us :) In reality, all claims are supposed to have 4 corner posts, with a sign on the post saying which corner it is, and one post having a copy of the claim docs in a waterproof bottle. If you get close, you can usually find a post and extrapolate from there. And that is the real way to find a claim. The county records and BLM records are a great starting point, but actually seeing the posts in the ground is the only way to know for sure that you are in the right place. The records will say "... 20 acres in Section Such and Such, or Township/Range So and So...", but you have to put hands on a wooden post to actually know. The rules are very specific on the posts, too. If you use the wrong material, or color, or size, the BLM can invalidate your claim.

Camping on BLM land has certain rules, and they have nothing to do with the claim. You can camp on most BLM land, whether or not you or anyone else has a claim on it. We found some of the Rainbow tribe on ours once. Nothing we could do legally to run them off. Had we tried we would have been arrested. We have camped on other claims, just because they were prettier than ours. Our claim is also leased out for cattle. We find plenty of pies :) During hunting season we see campers, too. I don't know of a specific permit for New Mexico, but some places do have permits for BLM land use. The Ranger Station is the best bet for info. There is one in Truth or Consequences for the National Forests nearby, Chibolo if I remember right. They answer the phones, but I've not had much luck with emails. From what I've seen, the 14 day rule is in effect, and fairly well enforced.

Bama

I don't know if we will get as far south as New Mexico this year (maybe this winter though) but I would like to see your operation, Bama.   I would assist you for a few days and you could keep the gold...I just want to see what is possible with your equipment.   My wife would probably sit in the hammock and read or ride her motorcycle (dual sport) around the area.   She is not really into hard work gold mining unless she starts seeing nuggets (then we could probably get her hooked).

I will have a pretty nice setup with our RV and garage/workshop and would have a fridge full of steaks, burgers and drinks.

We may head to Alaska next spring around this time, have not decided.

I'll let everybody know the dates. We're looking at October, not sure if early or late. We welcome anyone who has an interest, and REALLY welcome anybody with a shovel :)

Looking forward to seeing everyone!!

Bama

Glad to hear you all are planning another trip back this year and I hope I'll be able to tag along again. Bought a better shovel and working (Slowly) on my panning skills with that bucket I brought back :shy:  Going slow coz all heck broke loose here as soon as I got back. As my sig says Mi Vida Loca (my crazy life!) ;) 

The panning is the easiest part, and you have gold in the bucket to find!! Hope to see you there next time, and bring us some of the Ibuprofen LOL

Bama

i told my wife there is gold in the rivers in CA and now that's all she thinks about (and me too to be honest). i think my plans or driving a big loop around the west are going to be seriously derailed if we find any gold. i can see us spending the next 5 months sifting through river and creek beds. i've spent the last 2 weeks watching gold prospecting videos and researching promising area in the CA gold country, so that's my new plan now.

if anyone has any good tips about bookdocking sites between Yosemite and Tahoe i'd love to know.

thx

ha ha steve sounds like you have the fever and you haven't even found any yet. wait until you do. highdesertranger

It's a great hobby and well worth pursuing , but you are aware it is very unlikely you will ever show a profit from it, right? A few people can and do but they are a tiny majority and they are not just learning like you will be.

Bob

Apples to oranges comparison. But you will make a profit by learning about stock market and savings interest. And spending time on that. Though it is boring and tedious to look at numbers. --- more fun to look at rocks.

offroad, maybe you're an example of a true contrarian. Stick with it I like it.

I can't think who said it right now, but a guru once stated: most investor are like robots because they follow the crowd.

I look at it like natures lottery. I know I am not getting rich, but you never know what's under the next rock. besides most hobbies never return any type of financial gain. I look at it this way, I am outdoors, I am doing hard work, and I enjoy it. what else is there in life. if you don't look you will never find anything. highdesertranger

I can't wait to get into prospecting. The few times I've treasure hunted with my detector, the search was fun and relaxing and finding something interesting was a bonus. I'd love to find some gold, but more than that, meteorites.....but probably just as scarce. I envy the hunters of sunken ships....what a life!

Hi all,
I have a Garrett AT Pro detector & I'm hoping it can earn its keep as we travel. There are thousands of places along the coasts and lake sides where people lose their jewelry - you don't need to find many gold rings to keep you in food & gas for the next few months... :) 

I was also considering joining AMRA https://americanminingrights.com/claims/ - For $200 a year, you can try your hand on any of their claims.

Roland

ProDigger said:
Hi all,
I have a Garrett AT Pro detector & I'm hoping it can earn its keep as we travel. There are thousands of places along the coasts and lake sides where people lose their jewelry - you don't need to find many gold rings to keep you in food & gas for the next few months... :) 

I was also considering joining AMRA https://americanminingrights.com/claims/ - For $200 a year, you can try your hand on any of their claims.

Roland

I been metal detecting since 1973 and my biggest treasures has be found under water. Old river swimming holes and lakes is my favorites, a lot of rings and silver coins. One place I go to, is an old swimming hole, a muddy river. I'm about the only one that metal detects there. I think everybody else is afraid of snakes or what ever. I found some very old coins, silver dollar, 1858 quarter, is the oldest coins I found there, the rest is in the 1900s. Also found some gold rings.
In 1996 I bot. a 1280-X Aquanaut, made by Fisher and I still use it and they still make it.

I don't care for land metal detecting around beaches, too much trash.

Looks like a big, thick, bran flake to me. You may want it to keep the look but vinegar could probably brighten it up.

HDR that is like asking someone where they caught that big fish and they answer "In the water." LOL

gsfish said:
I have always wanted to do some prospecting but being a lifelong resident of Florida hasn't been very conducive to that endeavor.
They have gold up in Georgia, not super close but closer than NM....

Some years back (it was actually the last millennium :) I went up to the  American River behind Auburn, Calif to try my hand at gold mining. There were a lot of people up there that summer placer mining. I had camping gear, my van, shovels, buckets, a sluice box & a gold pan.
It took 2 days of moving rocks (I only found a couple of specks) for me to realize that a vacation that had a shovel as a major participant was not my idea of fun. 

But the other miners were great people! I had a good time...

I have a pan, a couple of screens & a collapsible shovel in my rig right now, just in case!

I watched the demo Highdesertranger gave on prospecting at an RTR & was reminded that there really is gold out there.  That was a superb talk on prospecting!  He not only knows the subject but has both the gear & the patience to explain all about it!
Thanks again!!

I used to live in the Klamath River Valley and was a member of the New 49ers Prospecting Club ... still have a membership but it is inactive for the time being. I may go back there during summer months. Happy Camp is a nice place to be and there are places to park near the river.