More New Mexico Gold

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wire gold is formed inside quartz as a wire. It is a bit rare, and certain examples in clear quartz have sold for heartstopping sums. We have a jewelers loupe, and this piece seems to be true wire gold. The guy that found it took it as part of his share, and he may have it appraised. Then again, if his wife finds out it's really valuable she may just confiscate it :)

We sell very little, but sometimes sell a piece or two to a jeweler. At a gold buyer, we are lucky to get 75% of the spot price. We have gotten better prices from collectors on ebay. A few nicely shaped nuggets have gone slightly over spot.

Bama

I'll bet mining claims are expensive in these areas. I believe in diversification when it comes to investing. Being that I just retired, NM would give me good place to go on vacation.
 Map Quest, showed that I live 769 miles from Hillsboro NM. The bad news, I would have to drive 648 miles, just to get out of Tex. :D

According to MapQuest I am 930 miles from Hillsboro, and it's almost 800 to get out of Texas. We're Neighbors!!! LOL.

And the claims are not all that expensive to buy. The claim just south of ours sold recently, $3500 for 80 acres. The problem is the maintenance costs. In the last 4 or 5 years, the fees and filing charges have quadrupled. If you have several folks buying and paying as a group, it's not that bad. And as a hobby, it is cheaper than ham radio or hunting, once all costs are recognized. It's way cheaper than golf, and it actually pays for itself if you're just a little lucky :)

Bama

I would recommend against buying a claim, unless you have some experience in prospecting or mining. I would also recommend against buying a car for someone who never drove one, just to put it in perspective. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I would recommend against buying a claim, unless you have some experience in prospecting or mining. I would also recommend against buying a car for someone who never drove one, just to put it in perspective. highdesertranger

Just curious but how does one prospect for gold without a claim? Gotta be crazy regs about who what where when and how without buying claims. Also who owns the land that you stake the claim? I am interested in this but know nothing about it. Pro baba should start a fresh thread on this. Sorry for the hijack!

Thought I should chime in here to let anyone thinking about going on Bama's next trip you will be in for a true experience of a lifetime.The group was hardworking and I learned alot about gold mining,I must confess I wimped out after a day and a half on the claim. I found I'm not in the best of shape for shoveling but hope I can improve that before another trip if I would be allowed to tag along. :p Thanks to Bama and his group for a great time hanging out with them and finding muscles I never knew I had LOL.!

yeah gamma prospecting is hard work, but it's good work, once you get used to it you will be in great shape.

cdiggy there are clubs throughout the country that have minimum dues and they have club claims. this is an excellent way for beginners to get started. go to meetings to learn a little, go on group outings to get hands on experience. most clubs have experienced members that are happy to share their knowledge. then there is the gpaa a nation wide organization, they have hundreds of claims all over the country, there are also quite a few local gpaa chapters that are like the smaller clubs. so this is how you can gain the knowledge, kinda like school. once you are comfy with your knowledge then you can start looking for you own claim. I spend a lot of time doing research you have to, even picking up rocks on a claim is stealing so you must know what you are doing. lots of surveying involved. actually I enjoy this part too.

so everyone must remember bamaduke has been very generous with his offers, and deserves a shout out. I just got to make it out there for one of his trips. highdesertranger

Here's a pic of our rotary wash plant, set up on the claim:

Wicks_Setup.jpg

These are the kinds of holes we dug:

Wicks_Holes.jpg

And yes, Gramma, it is pretty hard work  :)

We really enjoyed having you, and am very glad that you got to see some gold.  Let us know what you pan out of the bucket you took.  Hope it's a lot!!

Bama

Attachments

• Wicks_Setup.jpg
    Wicks_Setup.jpg
    153.7 KB
  • Wicks_Holes.jpg
    Wicks_Holes.jpg
    80.3 KB
looks like pretty hard digging. looks like a bunch of cobbles packed pretty hard. ancient river? not so ancient river? highdesertranger

Not so ancient river. It has flowing water 3 or 4 times a year. We have dug the same holes several times, and gotten gold each time. So each flood replenishes the hole. Makes it easier to choose a place to dig LOL

Bama

Does the wash plant you have pictured use water?  Recirculating or you have a source?

It is strange gold you have pictured...almost all large unless you just don't have a way to capture the fines (moss or whatever).

If it really is all just large gold like in the pic, the source should be close!   Maybe a nice finger size vein running several yards?  10 or 20 pounds of gold would make for a nice outing.

The plant holds about 100 gallons, and it's recirculated. We have to add 20 to 25 gal to replenish after a days work.

There were some fines, but we don't wash the (somewhat wet) rocks we remove from the holes. When we did, we got more fines. It doubled our work for 5% more gold. We quit doing that quickly :)

We figure the "source" is the partially cemented gravels along the sides of the streambed. The original vein is likely well north and above our claim. And it may have disappeared due to erosion. We won't be looking for it.

Bama

Nice.  I want to build a trailer wash plant.   My wife does too, which helps a lot :)

One thing I am unsure about is how to get a decent claim.  Was that hard work or are claims in the desert with little available water easier to come by?

I don't mind paying for a claim or even buying patented land but I don't want to get scammed either.

yeah watch the scams especially on flea bay. if you are really interested in a claim go to the area and check it out, then talk to the locals around the area. right now several claims are available because of he increase in fees. when you file a claim you file with the blm and the county the claim is in. make sure you check with the county first to see if the area is already claimed, then go to the blm website and do a LR2000 search. note the blm records are not as accurate as most county records, and they will gladly take your money even if you are filing over the top of another claim, which makes your claim invalid and there is no refund. the person you overfilled on isn't going to like it either. this is just a brief summary if you are serious I can go into more detail. I actually enjoy the research, mapping and surveying that's involved with prospecting. highdesertranger

p.s. if you are going to buy, demand to be able to sample the claim, preferably without the owner there. if they say no don't buy, if they want to be present don't listen to them about where to dig.

I'm not sure I completely agree with Ranger on his last point.  For one, it is pretty tough to FIND a claim from written directions, even with GPS coordinates.  Once you get into the gulches and draws, you may not get a good enough signal to truly know your position.  Remember, the claim system was set up over 150 years ago.  While technology has helped tremendously in the past decade or so, not everyone is fully up to speed.  

If we decided to sell our claim, we have enough pics and local folks who know the claim to get a prospective buyer on it.  GrammaTwoKitty was on our claim twice, and I would bet that she would have a hard time finding it next fall, if she decided to come back.  The area is desert, with few trees and few landmarks.  She could likely find the turn-in off the road pretty easily, but knowing whether or not she was on the claim would be less likely.  Ours is 40 acres.  We have worked it for 8 years.  A prospective buyer would gain that hard won knowledge if he met us there.  Without that knowledge, a buyer may spend several years learning.  Most claims (at least in our area) sell for a couple thousand or so.  There's not enough money to attract real scammers.  If a seller wouldn't meet me on a claim I was looking to purchase, I would be very wary.  We had walked our claim a couple of times before we bought it, but the seller was a friend of ours.  When his health started failing, a phone call to us lead to a mailed check.  There have been several claims sold in our area recently, for health reasons.  With the gold prices down a bit, there is less interest than a few years ago.  But they all sold pretty quickly.  

If you get serious, look into each state's Office of Geologic Development.  They have publications listing all of the gold producing areas and their output.  The first rule of gold prospecting is "Look where Gold has been found before!".  Our area of New Mexico was the number one producer in the state.  And we are on the best "side" of the production.

Bama

not being a smart ass but I can find any claim anywhere. not saying I can drive right to it first time. but I can find it. but like I said I enjoy that part, I consider it a challenge and I have the tools to read the survey system off of usgs maps. meridian, range(baseline), township, section, then the description within the section(I have an overlay to read this). that's all I need. all the western US uses this system everywhere. there is no doubt gps has made it easier, but like bama said gps doesn't always work and the blm does not except gps coordinates for claim descriptions. highdesertranger

I you own a claim on BLM land, can you live on the land or do you have to get a permit?