Moony: 'cause I got my head in the sky

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moony

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm currently a college student, studying biology and working toward a teaching certificate. I'm in love with this lifestyle and eager to start, even though it'll probably be (at least) a year before I'm able to.
I love the freedom and self-reliance of it, and I figure that, since I'm already accustomed to living in a small area, the eventual shift won't be as difficult as it could be. Since the profession I'm going into does't pay overly well, I figure I should get ready to live my life on the run from student loan collectors ;) Kidding, I really do love the freedom and self-reliance of it, and the stability those add.
Until I'm able to start my own conversion, I'll be saving up and prowling the forums searching for pertinent information.

Hi Moony! Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Are you familiar with Ken Ilgunas? He graduated from Duke University and managed to stay out of debt by living in a van.

He also wrote a book, Walden On Wheels."
More info, here: http://www.kenilgunas.com/

Hiya Moony!

My daughter is an animal biologist, and now has a really great job because of her degree. What type of biologist are you studying to become?? Where are you attending school??

You know, there are quite a few students who live in vans and other vehicles, in order to save money. This may be an 'in' for you to consider.

Welcome to the forum!!

@Cyndi: Thanks for the welcome! And the link to Ilgunas' blog, I hadn't heard of him before and I look forward to reading his materials.

@Patrick46: Thank you for the welcome! At this point in time, I'm considering an emphasis in environmental biology. I'm going to UWM, I like that their requirements for a BoS in Biology are very broad because it exposes us to many of the subsets of the subject. I don't (personally) know any students in my area who VanDwell (although there are probably quite a few), but I do know that the campus has some nice beneficial factors, like the library being open 24/7 even in cold weather, because this last winter was a real doozy!

Okay, as long as you're not one of those UC moonies, lol, welcome to the forums! Biologist huh, my best friend is a biologist, he works for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. We met in the Peace Corps where he taught conservation and fish culture, and then went to work for the Govt right after and now 26 years later he's one of the upper mucky-mucks in charge of the biosphere that Hawaii is a part of, not a bad gig if you ask me, lol (yeah he always tells me how much it doesn't suck to live/work in paradise :dodgy:).
Also my daughter is planning on studying marine biology when she goes back to school next spring, sounds like a fascinating subject, but then science always is, imo ;?D

Latest posts