Monocrystaline or Polycrystaline ???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Advantages / disadvantages, for a pair of 100w panels mounted flat on a van roof.

Also, anyone have experience with Windy Nation products.  They are 25 minutes from my house.

Thanks

Gregg

less expensive
Polycrystallinesolar panel,Characterized by its shattered glass look because of the manufacturing process of using multiple silicon crystals,
polycrystalline solar panels are the most commonly seen solar panels. A little less efficient than monocrystalline panels, but also less expensive.
however the cells of a polycrystaline solar panel tend to
have a uniform appearance, normally with no gaps.

More expensive
Mono-crystalline solar cells are cut from a chunk of silicon that has
been grown from a single crystal. They appear to be like from a cookie
cutter pieces ,These cells are used in high quality solar panels & are
very efficient in converting the sunlight into electricity.
Monocrystalline solar panels are the most efficient & most expensive panels currently available.
Because of their high efficiency, they are often used in applications where installation square footage is limited,
giving the end user the maximum electrical output for the installation area available.

Flat mounted panel's will never achieve optimum performance because they'll not face the light source directly. If they still produce the amperage you need, not an issue.

If I wanted efficiency(which I do have limited space), I would go monocrystalline. Currently I am planning on buying Renogy 100w panels. When the time comes to buy, I plan on making sure I can't spend my money better. The renogy 100w are 47" x 22" and weigh approx 17 pounds. Great reviews on amazon and 150$ per panel. Find better, post back and save me some research time, lol.

Renogy has a 400 watt kit with PMW controller for $616. Includes cables from panel to comtroller and connectors. Another $75 to upgrade to MPPT. At least, as of November these prices were good.

Seraphim said:
Renogy has a 400 watt kit with PMW controller for $616. Includes cables from panel to comtroller and connectors. Another $75 to upgrade to MPPT. At least, as of November these prices were good.

Nice! Who is the merchant? I am still 2 to 3 months away approx, but this is a deal if everything is acceptable.

I used A Windy nation 300w kit on one van, quality appears comparable to Renogy panels on my van.
Panel dimensions are quite different between the two brands. Don't recall the pricing.

See what fits the best on your rig before you decide. You can get the dimensions of each panel through the spec sheet.

Windy Nation has a complete 200 watt monocrystaline kit for $309 http://www.windynation.com/Monocrys...t-for-RVs-Boats-and-Off-Grid/-/353?p=YzE9MzA=  Their equivalent Poly 200w kit is $299

I am leaning towards their 300w monocrystaline kit with a MPPT controller if I can fit 3 panels on my roof rack

I am definitely going with WN (unless I hear some terrible reviews) as they are just down the road from me if I have any problems or issues.

Just an FYI, I don't know what it was, gut feeling etc, but as I was contemplating new panels and Windy Nation was definitely a consideration to me and then I did some reading up on them. If I recall correctly there were some customer service issues, and I had an incredibly hard time finding there detailed warranty information.

In the end I have decided and have ordered two Kyocera 120 Watt mono panels used. I felt I gained 40 watts for less money, two panels for $250.00 shipped. One thing I had noticed was the mono panel weighed less.
Considering wiring loses etc, I figured the extra 40 watts would help me break even on charging 225AH batteries.
The reason I didn't go with a package from anyone was cost and type of equipment. One thing I wanted was a charge controller that pretty much had it all so I went with a Morningstar TS-45.
I'll never have room for more than one more panel so the controller will handle three no problem, second it allows you to fine tune the charge parameters if the defaults don't suit ya. Three I can initiate a Desulfation charge manually if I want to. Four it has temperature compensation albeit at an added cost of $40.00 for the stinking sensor. (That's a rip). Five it has a Battery sense connection, so with temp comp and battery sense the unit will very accurately handle it's charging duties.

To each his own, I have spent a couple months researching etc, funds were not unlimited but I was determined to have the best I could in a charge controller and I believe the TS-45 is one of the top. As for panels, as long as they have a clean glass, put out there rated spec then I don't care if used or not. Price was a strong purchasing factor IMHO. 

MikeRuth said:
Just an FYI, I don't know what it was, gut feeling etc, but as I was contemplating new panels and Windy Nation was definitely a consideration to me and then I did some reading up on them. If I recall correctly there were some customer service issues, and I had an incredibly hard time finding there detailed warranty information.

In the end I have decided and have ordered two Kyocera 120 Watt mono panels used. I felt I gained 40 watts for less money, two panels for $250.00 shipped. One thing I had noticed was the mono panel weighed less.
Considering wiring loses etc, I figured the extra 40 watts would help me break even on charging 225AH batteries.

From whom did you order the Kyocera panels?

Thanks ..... Gregg

Gregg said:
Thanks for the response.  I didn't realize they were used and 11 to 13 years old.  I'll spend a bit more and get new.

Gregg

No problem, maybe used and a few years old but all that counts in a panel are two things to me. The glass surface has not been damaged. The panel puts out its rated spec. these do. If not they will go back.  The seller has a good rep. 

I just couldn't get over that the same panel sells new for roughly $250+ dollars each. 

I'll post up my results as soon as I get the system installed. 

Mike R

Latest posts