Mongolian Hot Pot (shabu shabu)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl1966

Reaction score
I got reacquainted with this last summer when I arrived back home to help out my elderly parents. I'd kind of forgotten how simple, spendthrift, and healthy a meal this can be. The name shabu shabu (literal meaning is swish swish) was given to it by the Japanese when this style of cooking finally made it to their shores in the 20th century. Originally this was developed by Genghis Khan during his more "aggressive nomadic days" as a fast efficient way to feed the troops. It helped to conserve fuel and food. There were large communal pots where the men would gather to cook/eat. The shorter cook time of this method also allowed for food to retain more of its nutrients which helped to keep said troops at their peak.

Basically it's a lot like blanching. You dip very very thinly cut slices of beef into boiling hot water for about 20-30 secs. Veggies go for 2-14 mins depending on type. Nowadays a 50/50 mixture of boiling broth/water is used to add a little more flavor.

A nice marbled rib eye is a typical cut for this. You can use any kind of beef or other types of meat, but be sure to adjust cooking time as needed for type of meat/width of cut.

Veggies can be just about anything you can think of. I've used baby bok choy, shitake mushrooms, been sprouts, cabbage, or broccoli to name a few.

Any pot works for this (even used the KK to make it).

sl1966, that sounds great! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely give it a try!
-AK

Steve, I know a good all you can eat shabu-shabu buffet dinner that includes all you can drink beer or sake for only $25 per person. Good stuff. If you're in town, give me a holler!

Casey, sounds great! We're on if/when I make it up that way.