Modifying a pre-built Class B?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vandreamSF

Reaction score
I was hoping to get a loan through my credit union to finance a custom van build. I recently got a slight raise and thought my new income would qualify me. I was wrong... still too poor to borrow the money I need.

I'm not handy enough to build out a van myself, and I don't have friends/family who are supportive and/or could help me, so my options for getting into this lifestyle are limited. One possibility would be buying a pre-built Class B RV through a dealership - my chances of being approved for financing that way are higher. However, no currently available Class B RVs in the USA quite fit what I am looking for. The closest fit is probably the Roadtrek SS Agile or the Hymer Aktiv.

If I bought a pre-built RV, how difficult would it be to do something like remove the power awning and the shower/toilet or find someone who could do it for me? I'm concerned the awning detracts from stealth, and I don't need a shower/toilet so I would rather have that space for something else.

While this may not be much help, have you looked at Sportsmobile? https://sportsmobile.com/ or maybe the Explorer Conversion Van. Tearing out the bath/shower in a Class B, IMO, would be a mess and leave limited space as they are quite small. Are you looking for new or used? Not sure what your looking at as far as your needs, thus not sure what the best path would be.

Snow Gypsy said:
While this may not be much help, have you looked at Sportsmobile?  https://sportsmobile.com/ or maybe the Explorer Conversion Van.  Tearing out the bath/shower in a Class B, IMO, would be a mess and leave limited space as they are quite small.  Are you looking for new or used?  Not sure what your looking at as far as your needs, thus not sure what the best path would be.

I would prefer new, but may have to settle for used.
I am aware of Sportsmobile, but I'm not a big fan of their finishings and I've read about bad experiences with them online. I'll have to look at Explorer, thanks for pointing them out!

I'm looking for a small Class B, preferably all solar-powered electric, that is stealthy and can function off-grid. I plan to live out of it, so it needs to be comfortable and functional. 
I'd like something that has a more open floorplan than most models I've seen - and since I have a gym membership and don't need a shower, removing it from most floorplans gives a more open feel.

If you ever have to sell it, not having a bathroom when they came equipped from the factory with one will cause a major hit to the price you can get. Maybe putting plastic drawers from Walmart stacked on top of the commode will give you a better option than ripping it out. Roadtreks are very recognizable as well as most class B's. Removing the awning probably won't help with stealth much either. YMMV and is entirely up to you. If you finance, read the fine print about modifications.

I think it will be difficult to remove a bathroom from most classB RVs. it wont help it to be stealthy if removed either, nor do I think the awning will if removed.

Rvs are really not stealthy anyway. it really depends on how stealthy you want to be. what are you driving now and have you considered towing a cargo trailer with it?

I also see all kinds of various home made mobile dwellings on CL when using search terms like 'cargo van', 'box van', 'shuttle van', 'church van', etc. might be something to consider also. most of the ones already set up are much less than any RV.

YMMV

Are you committed to a duly built out RV or would you be happy with functional? I see so many people who just use real furniture and bins who make it work.

I know I was in the same boat — can’t build myself, no tools, no family or friends who could help. I was lucky enough to find a used Class B for half the going price, a miracle in CA where everything typically costs more.

I guess, after seeing so many regular people doing builds in videos, it seems doable if you’re physically able but inexperienced. That seems even more true since you don’t want a bathroom.

Do you want new? What about abandoned projects or used vans others have built out? I saw many of those while I was looking. People who were going larger, or visitors who bought and built for a 3-6 month tour of the USA (or Europe/Australia).

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B and C said:
Roadtreks are very recognizable as well as most class B's.  Removing the awning probably won't help with stealth much either.
safarivan said:
it wont help it to be stealthy if removed either, nor do I think the awning will if removed.

Rvs are really not stealthy anyway. it really depends on how stealthy you want to be.

Stealth is important to me since I will be urban camping, so I suppose a pre-built Class B is out.
I want to be stealthy to prevent having the police called on me, or people trying to break into my van.

sub2rainEN said:
Are you committed to a duly built out RV or would you be happy with functional? I see so many people who just use real furniture and bins who make it work.

I know I was in the same boat — can’t build myself, no tools, no family or friends who could help.  I was lucky enough to find a used Class B for half the going price, a miracle in CA where everything typically costs more.

I guess, after seeing so many regular people doing builds in videos, it seems doable if you’re physically able but inexperienced. That seems even more true since you don’t want a bathroom.

I could buy a cargo van and sleep in a sleeping bag in the back of it for a few years until I either learn how to build what I want or save enough money to do it, sure. That's below my personal threshold of acceptable living conditions, though.
Congratulations on your find! I'm hoping to someday move to California myself (I'm from rural PA) and was hoping to get a RV to live in to avoid paying the exorbitant rent out there.

The Hymer has a cassette toilet. Keep it. You only need to dump the little removable tank. It would, however, be the easiest one to remove. You would then have a compartment door to use for other things...

I was thinking along the lines of a cot with memory foam, like Crystal Vanner. I’ve also seen people mod an IKEA slat bed so it extends from couch size to bed size. Seems like a simple mod.

What about a new van with a back seat that converts to a bed? Then all you need to do is remove seats in the middle.

vandreamSF said:
I could buy a cargo van and sleep in a sleeping bag in the back of it for a few years until I either learn how to build what I want or save enough money to do it, sure. That's below my personal threshold of acceptable living conditions, though.
Congratulations on your find! I'm hoping to someday move to California myself (I'm from rural PA) and was hoping to get a RV to live in to avoid paying the exorbitant rent out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vandreamSF said:
Stealth is important to me since I will be urban camping, so I suppose a pre-built Class B is out.
I want to be stealthy to prevent having the police called on me, or people trying to break into my van.

Stealth is extremely grossly overrated IMO.

Urban camping is best done by finding 6 or 7 or even more legal spots to park overnight and rotating them randomly. Yes, it might mean driving a little further but think of all the rent money being saved. Parking in safe places limits the theft possibility as well.

A pre-built Class B that has the interior modified becomes something that most purchasers of Class Bs don't want, particularly the awning and the bathroom.

I have never yet seen a Class B that I would consider to have a spacious interior...heck even most Class Cs aren't what I would call 'open plan. The reason for this is that the manufacturers try to stuff all the 'conveniences' in to the smaller units that come with a 35' Class A. All it results in is a crowded interior and lack of usable storage space.

A cargo van will sell for way less than a Class B thereby allowing you to spend some money to put together your own idea of an interior. Please include something in the way of a bathroom, even if you skip the shower part. A toilet of some sort becomes a vital necessity when you  have an emergency at 4 AM and it's pouring rain outside.... :rolleyes:

You don't need to come down to a 'sleeping bag in the back of it' - there is a huge ass happy middle ground. Even if it's a cot placed against the wall and sets of storage totes secured with bungie cords.

It seriously doesn't have to take a major course in carpentry to do a very easy build. And it doesn't have to be expensive. Take a long look at our build threads here, not just YouTube videos.