Modifications you overthought

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matlock

Reaction score
Time to reflect on things I'd change/skip next time around.

Way over thought insulation. Next time use rigid foam everywhere in different thicknesses. The only airtight moving vehicle was the space shuttle.
Vent the 20# barbeque propane tank with a hole through the floor under the secured tank. Cover the hole with screen to keep bugs out and be done with it.
Buy/use 12V powered products and adapters to charge at 12V. Forget inverters, they waist juice. It's not how big your batteries are it's how much juice you can put back in tomorrow when the sun comes up.
Forget stealth, you are not fooling anyone. It only works for Duck Hunters.

Anyone else care to share.

MrNoodly said:
Then there's UNDERthinking one's modifications.

Beautiful install.  I think this became form over function.  

My cooktop has stainless on the hot wall.  Not near as pretty though.

Hahaha I have a burn mark almost exactly the same on the side wall of my kitchen counter!

It wasn't a case of underthinking a modification - it was underthinking the size of the pan I was using on the portable stove set tight against the wood.

Pan got too hot, wood got discolored. Sandpaper and new paint needed :rolleyes:

I think next time I would get a longer, taller van. I spent a lot of effort on a regular van and would still have to tow something if I wanted to stand up in it.

Not really overthinking as the details of my plan changed but if doing over I'd probably get a slightly smaller rig. I'm still in the build stage but I'm not one of those that went too light on truck capability.

36378380_1927707337242256_3028935851968036864_n.jpg

I overthought the tilting system for my solar panel. Twice. I have since learned I don't really need to tilt it -- at least where I spend most of my time.

And I overthought the things I would need with me. I've gotten rid of about a quarter of my stuff.

^
Same here.  I ended up losing one of my panels when the wind caught it while I was in Alaska.  The tilt structure raised the panel up just enough and then —- KABAM!!!.

Had a 100 watt panel blow off in arizona this spring was close to Arizona wind and Sun in flagstaff .
Replaced it with a 270 watt for $170 great company.
Scott