Mistakes & Errors You've Made in the Past

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikachu711

Reaction score
This thread I'm starting is more for benefit of those who have NOT moved in to a vehicle yet. This thread is primarily for those group members who are currently living in a vehicle. This can also apply to those who have lived in a vehicle in the past.

Is there one thing you have done in the past that was a mistake on your part? This can be on any aspect of vandwelling.

Let's try to limit it to one mistake or bad decision you made that you wish you had not done while vandwelling. It would be helpful to know things we should NOT be doing as vandwellers.

Thanks for all your replies!

I am currently living in a van in north Dakota. I originally assumed there was enough insulation in this van to keep warm in winter. Nothing was further from the truth. I had to re-insulate half way thru last winter. Everything they seem to do to convert these to whatever, at the so called custom shops, seems to be half baked.
It may not make a difference in some parts of the country; but up here it does.

My only regret(s) are when I get rid of things in an attempt to keep my load as light (and small) as possible, only to find that I wish I hadn't later down the road.

For instance; I got rid of a bike rack after I stopped carrying my bike with me, only to buy a new bike (and rack) a year later.

Another example; I dumped my microwave which I rarely used as I was rarely in places with electrical hookups, only to buy another microwave a year later as I now stay in my places with electricity available.

I bought a tow-dolly to haul my car with me, only to sell it 3 months later, then 3 months later I wish I hadn't. I did the same to a small cargo trailer... bought, sold, regret. Again with a 19' camping trailer... bought, sold (3X what I paid for it at least), and regretted it.

An ongoing battle with myself. What is worse is that I even have a storage space to put these extra items... I just don't do it. It's a sickness I tell ya.

Somewhere between spartan and hoarder is the golden spot. I haven't found it yet....

It is a trick Other Stuff uses. Other Stuff wants to convince you to not toss Any Stuff.

I had a great van that I sold because the person I was dating at the time got the better of me. I wish I had kept that big old whale.

When it comes to buying "stuff" it really depends upon whether it's a "nicety" or a "necessity."

Buying a necessity is something that is practical and necessary that will be used on a regular basis.
Buying a nicety is something you don't really need but it's nice to have "just in case."

Buying something because we want it and not need it is a common mistake. If you can live without something but it's nice to have "just in case" is not a reason to buy it.

One error I made years ago was on a cross country trip with my family while pulling a trailer. At one rest area I was walking back to my car and noticed that one of the wheels on my trailer looked somewhat odd which caught my attention.

Upon further investigation I noticed two of the lug nuts were gone. They for whatever reason had fallen off somewhere on the road. I removed one of the lug nuts on the driver's side of trailer and put it on the wheel with the missing lug. I then proceeded down the highway at a reduced speed until I located a city where I located a place to replace the two missing lug nuts.

I learned that checking the tightness of lug nuts should be checked on a regular basis.

My problem is this. If I really like something, I figure 2 of the same thing is better. Before I know it, I now have 3, 4, 5 of the same type of item in different sizes, design, colors, etc. You should see how many power cords I have for my electronics. It's pretty sick. Doubly so for many other items such as carry cases and bags, batteries and chargers, flashlights and lanterns, on and on and on. I literally have backups for backups for backups for backups. The other mistakes I've made relate to being a self-made guinea pig. Being a test subject for new stuff usually involves extra cost. Before ya know it, you have a whole closet full of stuff that is outdated and nearly worthless

Related to my van, one of the more costly mistakes I've made was installing an auxillary battery system that was too small for my ever growing power needs. I had first went to a car stereo shop to install a 2nd battery that was really only meant for powering a new stereo system and bass amplifier and DVD player. But my energy needs grew much larger, and I ended up killing the poor under-powered battery. I ended up going to a "real" shop that installs battery systems for vans and trucks and got a "real" battery installed. It all ended up costing me much more had I done it right the first time.

This is not really a _mistake_ but rather an observation in design.
Years ago i decided to try living out of a high-cube chevy delivery van and did so for almost 2 years and LOVED it. The box was 12L x 8W x 7H with cab walk through a sliding door/wall partition. The design had no windows and only a skylight/hatch on roof. Since i was single the idea of not seeing outside was fine to me, though the few times i had my girlfriend along while camping she sort of freaked out being inside with no view to the outside world.

Now, 30+ years later with our chevy AWD van conversion the only windows are there pretty much for safety/view while driving. The curb side slider and rear cargo doors are the windows. And funny thing is once we are in camp the Reflectix insulating window covers go up on Cab/Slider/Cargo windows! I think is we could figure out a safe way to view what was going on outside while driving we would order a van without any windows except the cab.

I can envision a future design with a central monitor showing the outside view via several cameras. That way we could have fully insulated walls all around us and still enjoy the view (or our choice of view) on the large monitor.

Happy Trails,
Thom

I wish I had done more to insulate before we built out the inside. It was one of those "no time, need to get moved in" type of decisions.

Thinking I could drive just a little farther into that sandy area, because, gee, it would be nicer by those large bushes instead or totally out in the open.

MrNoodly said:
Thinking I could drive just a little farther into that sandy area, because, gee, it would be nicer by those large bushes instead or totally out in the open.

Yep, I've done that one too

Along this line. White line fever. "I'm still good, going to make it to the next rest stop. Oh, there it was. Ok, I'm still good. Going to make it to the next rest stop. Oh......"

Zil said:
Along this line. White line fever. "I'm still good, going to make it to the next rest stop. Oh, there it was. Ok, I'm still good. Going to make it to the next rest stop. Oh......"

Ha....it's kinda like a never ending loop!! (been there, but still doing that!!!) :blush:

ONE mistake? I have a tendency to do everything twice or over in an "improved" manner...like the investment in building a shower in my van, complete with pump and gray tank, only to remodel it into a kitchen without ever using it as a shower.
The shower was a waste of precious space, fine for storage, but it all had to be stashed someplace else to shower.....much quicker and easier to pull out a basin or tote and bath.

karl, I like your tag line, "don't believe everything you think".

karl said:
The shower was a waste of precious space, fine for storage, but it all had to be stashed someplace else to shower.....much quicker and easier to pull out a basin or tote and bath.
Karl, I've seen others say the same thing, and I've come to agree, too.

At first a shower seems so important. But if you have a sink or a dishpan, you can take sponge baths and shampoo your hair in it, and keep plenty clean--without the expense of wet wipes and such.

Then, when a hot shower is available, it's a wonderful luxury.

karl said:
ONE mistake? I have a tendency to do everything twice or over in an "improved" manner...like the investment in building a shower in my van, complete with pump and gray tank, only to remodel it into a kitchen without ever using it as a shower.

But sometimes we can't tell what will serve our purposes until we do it.