Mistaken as a YouTuber by a YouTuber

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
I was trying to say hello to someone and I was getting the 20 question burn by someone which is fine, they didn’t know me.

They then proceed tell me I can’t record any video, which I’m like in my head “I’m not a YouTuber”. Then they proceed to tell me that they are a YouTuber.

Is it normal for YouTubers to be this rude?

How annoying are YouTubers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Youtubers" by definition are full of themselves.

wayne49"Youtubers" by definition are full of themselves.
I respectfully disagree.

There are plenty who are there because they want to help others. Some are trying to make a living without working for someone else. Some donor as a hobby.

When someone is out in public, there is no right to privacy and you can take all the pics or video you want.

They can ask you to stop but there is no law that says you must. Private property would be different.

Paparazzi get away with it all the time.

Mdover I’ve met all kinds of youtubers. Some are definitely confused by it all and start thinking they are movie stars or winners of the Novel Peace prize or something. They seem to forget that anyone out there can have a channel and they didn’t run as a famous elected official or something and get elected.

I once read from somewhere one had gone into a store somewhere and was kinda dissed as being a bum or something. They said that they thought to themselves, “Does he even know WHO I AM???”

Oh brother... Until you have millions upon millions of followers you need to remember there are still billions and billions who have no idea who you are nor do they even care.

I have had some say to me, “Well you know me from YouTube don’t you?”

Uh.... no I sure don’t

On the other hand some do seem to stay down to earth thank goodness.

It takes quite a bit to impress this old lady and it sure isn’t going to be by a nomad YouTuber or even a movie star. It needs to be someone who has actually done something positive and great to change the world.

Or bake perfect sourdough and brew ginger beer like Ravella. Maki makes some really cool little things she sells in her Etsy store.

I was a celebrity in my own mind long before youtube. I knew I had made it to the big time when I got my first drunk commenter. I think the people on youtube are just like people everywhere. You will find all kinds. Some people tend to take this online stuff way too seriously.

Then again I saw a 9 year old who makes millions, so what do I know?

I do YouTube as a hobby. There's a big reading community there called Booktube. We are reading friends sharing with each other what we like to read, recommending books to others. I do it for fun, not for fame and fortune. Sorry you ran into an unfriendly YouTuber - there are all kinds, of course.

I have enormous respect for good doctors, good scientists and medical researchers, gifted IT workers, nurses, social workers, teachers, people who work with their hands to build this country etc.
Edit: I learned a few years ago where I live (may vary) you can even video other people once they are out in public. Hence the paparazzi.
But then I grew up in Los Angeles and am intimately familiar with narcissism. I’ve only watched a few interesting YouTube channels and I’m unimpressed with YouTubers as a group. A few good ones like Bob who truly try to help yes.
If you want to make some videos and slap them up on YouTube more power to you. If you make some money off it, good. But I certainly wouldn’t allow someone on public land tell me not to do something legal.

What Highdesertranger said. Don't overgeneralize.

There are all types of YouTubers. Some good, some bad. Some arrogant, some humble. Some helpful, some idiotic.

Just like regular people.

I agree not to overgeneralize at least on here and in writing LOL (sorry Desert Dude) but I was just addressing in case anyone really doesn’t know that is legal to film not only places but people in public.

There’s almost a law book about legal v illegal filming, for example you may not film people’s confidential conversations in public etc etc But basically yes, you may film people and places IN PUBLIC.

It’s the polite thing to do to ask permission but even that isn’t necessary. I think if someone confronts you you should know your rights, that’s all.

I don’t think most YouTubers are that obnoxious but I’ve been out in the Southwest alone taking pictures since I could drive which was 1978 and no one who just discovered a few picturesque places and thinks they’re going to become a millionaire is going to tell me what I can and can’t do. Rant over.

Good point, yes, you're right about that.

I was responding to what you wrote earlier -
You wrote: "I’ve only watched a few interesting YouTube channels and I’m unimpressed with YouTubers as a group. A few good ones like Bob who truly try to help yes."

FYI - I'm a YouTuber and I think (on this message board and in general) there's a lot of judgment against YouTubers as a group. Apparently people think we do this just to get fame and fortune. But there are other reasons. Here are a few of mine.

1. I've always been a timid, shy introvert and I wanted to force myself to talk to people and to learn to talk better. All my life people have talked for me, talked around me, and not listened to me when I did try to talk. So making a video gives me a chance to learn to talk better and not be interrupted by others who think they can talk better than I can. If you ever saw my first videos you would know how timid and frightened I was back then. With a lot of practice I've become much more comfortable in front of the camera. It wasn't easy and still is a big challenge for me.

2. Video creation was a skill I wanted to learn. It was very hard for me to understand and learn the tools and techniques that go into video making. I wanted it to be less mysterious. I wanted to conquer that mountain and find out what worked and what didn't. I'm still learning. Recently someone offered me a job using this skill. What a surprise for me!

3. I like to talk about books and other things I get involved in. There's a wonderful Booktube community that's part of YouTube and we recommend books to one another. Great fun.

About fame and fortune.

1. If you knew how difficult it is for me to get myself in front of a camera to talk, maybe you would realize I'm not looking for fame. My channel is still very small even after six years. I don't think there's any fame in it for me.

2. Fortune? I'm not earning a cent from YouTube. Probably never will. You need at least 1000 subscribers and 4000 hours of watch time annually. I'm nowhere near that.

Just asking people, don't throw all YouTubers into one bag and call us worthless. It feels like - just because you don't share this hobby, you think it is something to criticize.

I certainly didn’t mean to throw all youtubers under the bus if you are referring to me. When I need to find out how to do something that’s where I go.

I was referencing many who I’ve met who seem to believe if you have a channel of any kind at all that you are suddenly a movie star. If you are out and about long enough you will meet them.

So many have nothing at all to say and I really feel bad for them as I’ve met those who think they are going to make a living and get rich off just any old channel and they are people who just aren’t interesting to anyone but their own family. They may have no content except what color they dyed their hair or where they are going or they took their dog for a walk.

There are those few who have done well and find a niche for themselves. They know how to speak and have actual helpful content without a bunch of fluff. Bob Wells managed to do just that. People can actually learn a lot there. It’s the fluff that I can’t watch. Be interesting. Have something to say that actual people care about or need to hear.

So much is like sitting and watching home movies of people you don’t know. It’s gets old quickly.

Get right to the point. A long introduction can doom you. Join toastmasters and learn to speak. Get good at it. It’s kinda like singing karaoke in public. Some are good, some are actually great and then there are those who are terrible and don’t know it. Everyone claps regardless and that encourages the terrible ones to get up again and again while the crowd is cruelly twittering behind their hands. It’s awful and so sad. Better to tell the truth if asked for an opinion so the person can get lessons or find a way out of that mess than have meanies laughing behind their backs. Same with YouTube. Find your talent, take lessons, learn and get good at it. Even the most famous singers in the world take lessons.

I completely renovated a house top to bottom with no experience by watching YouTube videos by the way.

It would be great to have classes by experts at the rtr for those who are interested. Trained speakers or toastmaster experts to give classes would be fabulous.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/dunning-kruger-effect

The above condition is a pandemic far worse than the current one.
Hordes of the infected can be seen on youtube and nearly every forum.

I don't use youtube much at all. There are a couple channels with great story telling. A few informative channels and the remaining @ss ton is nothing but bloviating pontification.

And speaking of pontification....
Of course it's not fair to lump everyone into a category but I'm pretty sure we are ALL judged by the company we keep.

Most quality control typically doesn't allow 8+%damage. In agriculture when that happens the entire lot is marked as garbage until cleaned up. No doubt in my mind that youtube far exceeds the 8% tolerance.

How many hairs do you allow in your spaghetti before declaring the entire plate garbage?

Btw..TA... :)... I listen often to your channel. Your voice makes me calm and snugly and I often play it for bedtime stories.... For whatever reason you do it... I enjoy it!

I also think a lot of this is coming from people who are subconsciously jealous because they don't have the courage or knowledge to join in the fun on the YouTube platform.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my questions about YouTubers.

Many people gave insightful information and hopefully my experiences with YouTubers improves in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I deleted some of the posts due to back and forth bickering which seemed to mostly be caused by misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Please be kind to each other and think twice before hitting the post reply button.