Mistaken as a YouTuber by a YouTuber

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my second trip to Northern Canada/Alaska, I made a lot of videos that I posted on youTube.  I grew tired of it and stopped.  I still have my video editing tools and will edit a video that I might put on facebook.  

It’s a lot of work to make good videos and it takes a larger effort to find material to make a video on.  I decided that it wasn’t worth it, so instead focused on having good text/pictures/short videos that I post on face book.  The funny thing it that I generally get more response from those FB postings than I ever got from youTube.  I guess that’s because my text in my FB posts tend to be more to the point - rarely over 6 short paragraphs - about one page worth.  So I stopped posting on youTube and instead post on FB when I feel that I have something to say.  I don’t have to have material regularly twice a week.  

I’ve also become much more selective in the youTube channels that I watch.  Way too many youTubers post on the same topics:  
“A Day In My Life”, “What I’m Eating For Lunch”, “Look at the sights where I’m at”, “See How I Cook In My Van”, “Interview of XYZ”, etc.  

So I’ve found myself watching Van Life videos less and less - oh there are some that I still might watch.  But instead I’m tending to watch things like History Channel videos, Philosophy Channels, Science Channels, etc.  I feel like I’m being much more selective than I used to be.  

I think that some of the Van Life videos might be worth while for folks just starting out.  Maybe they can learn something, so I’m not about to criticize those.  But they just don’t interest me any more.

How about Instagram? I started one for my dog because I spent hours looking at dog photos on there and I also wanted to bring awareness to the deplorable conditions at our local shelter. I started out just plain pics but I was shocked when she developed a huge following maybe because I love dogs and dog photos and I always comment. But it became exhausting having to post often and think of new interesting photos. Some people spend a fortune on accessories and staging for their dogs and I can’t/wouldn’t. It was so much work I stopped. I started a new one because she’s so adorable (LOL) but I’m not going overboard this time.

mpruet said:
It’s a lot of work to make good videos and it takes a larger effort to find material to make a video on.

That reminds me of the hardest thing about cooking dinner. Thinking of something to cook!!

mdoverl said:
I was trying to say hello to someone and I was getting the 20 question burn by someone which is fine, they didn’t know me.

They then proceed tell me I can’t record any video, which I’m like in my head “I’m not a YouTuber”. Then they proceed to tell me that they are a YouTuber.

Is it normal for YouTubers to be this rude?

How annoying are YouTubers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While i think you're making an unnecessarily broad statement about "YouTubers" in general, i know a few people in the film industry and i can honestly say that it is always the small time celebrities who are generally the rudest, and try to build themselves up into a big deal. I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of attitude carried over onto YouTube as well.

That being said. People behave how they will, social media just tends to amplify that behavior. Its not fair to judge others based on a few limited interactions with some rotten eggs.