Mist sprayer cooling and insect control

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
akrvbob said:
For inside use I think I would just place a fan so it hit me how I wanted it and use a spray bottle to mist myself. Far simpler and no risk to my electronics.
Bob

Yes. Sometimes we get stuck thinking the same way we did when we lived in buildings: heat/cool the entire room. But since we're not connected to utilities (unless we're in an RV park) we need to readjust our perspective. Think in terms of heating or cooling only our body instead of our surroundings. 

For me, this nomad life works best when I think of it as fulltime camping. That's a different head space than trying to live in some kind of mobile apartment. It calls for simpler solutions. And it means being selective about the problems I might try to solve. Instead of trying to make my life softer, I get tougher.

MrNoodly said:
Yes. Sometimes we get stuck thinking the same way we did when we lived in buildings: heat/cool the entire room. But since we're not connected to utilities (unless we're in an RV park) we need to readjust our perspective. Think in terms of heating or cooling only our body instead of our surroundings. 

For me, this nomad life works best when I think of it as fulltime camping. That's a different head space than trying to live in some kind of mobile apartment. It calls for simpler solutions. And it means being selective about the problems I might try to solve. Instead of trying to make my life softer, I get tougher.

This attitude appears appropriate since the nature of that lifestyle involves the removal of unnecessary of material goods. This means it shares more in common with camping than it does with regular arrangements for housing. This might also allow a person to reconsider the priorities that involve the placement of household items in this setting.

Another way to stay cool is a damp head scarf, like a shemagh or keffiyeh. There are many videos on how to tie them. For example:

And then there are compact (and not so compact) misting fans, which would be the simple, easy version of the original poster's idea.
http://www.o2-cool.com/misting-fans-4

MrNoodly said:
How much water can you carry and how quickly would the mist system use it up?
_____I don't know yet on water consumption.

_____The cool mist humidifier is placed in the bulkhead above the cab of the van, and the mist rides the fiberglass ceiling, near the highest point of the interior of the van. The mist cascades down to the floor nicely. This next summer is the test stage for this direct evap cooling idea. I imagine with the surface area of the mist in a low-humidity enviroment (Las Vegas & BRC) and the FANTASTIC FAN blowing hot and dry air inward it would bring the van interior down to a confortable temperature. Ideally the humidifier and roof fan setup works as a whole house evap cooler. When I am sleeping open rear windows, and when travelling on surface streets keep all back windows closed and the front windows cracked (If I can't get the vans built-in A/C system charged). Have the fan on high and at stoplights have a rush of mist blowing past me and a passenger. If it works like I envision, will have a comfortable van while saving money only running the A/C on the 90+ F days or just the hottest part of the day. The physics says this setup will have a cooling effect, the real world says test it.

_____The van can carry a lot of water containers if needed. If not the woodgas trailer I will have in LV and BRC can carry it. Burning Man 2015 is my LAST trip running on gasoline!
MrNoodly said:
Another way to stay cool is a damp head scarf, like a shemagh or keffiyeh. There are many videos on how to tie them. For example:

And then there are compact (and not so compact) misting fans, which would be the simple, easy version of the original poster's idea.
http://www.o2-cool.com/misting-fans-4

_____Damp head scarfs is a time intensive task over the long term. Time cheap over the short term but time expensive over the long term.

_____That must be new, as I do not remember seeing a standalone single-misting-head misting fan that requires no manual work to engage the misting action. In general we need some innovations in evaporative cooling, there hasn't been any in 50 years. Imagine evap cooling system that can be acceptable substitute to A/C on mild-hot days in low humidity enviroments.

_____Here are my thoughts: If one spends an hour a day actively cooling down to save $7 a day on genset fuel that would run an A/C; one haven't saved or spent anything. An hour sitting on the street corner begging for change is the same amount of time as an hour working a minimum wage job.

_____If one is lucky to have the option to sell their time for an hour at minimum wage vs spending their time actively keeping cool, why not work the mimimum wage job for that hour which is likely working in an air conditioned space? Oh and don't forget the dangers of being in a swealtering enviroment. Heat stroke, brain damage and dehydration off the top of my head. Who desires their tombstone to read "Died because I thought I was tough enough to beat the heat without A/C "? Who desires to wake up in the air conditioned hospital after falling asleep in the Flagstaff WALMART lot?

_____I see some on here in a mindset of depriving themselves. It seems like those people have traded one kind of depriving themselves for another while trading one conventional kind of dwelling for another. It it one thing to not have the means, it is anther to deprive oneself when they have the means. Much like those extreme cheapskates who have money for lifes luxuries yet save money at less than minimum wage. Time is more valuable than money, most human being have about 80 years of it. Spend that time wisely.

_____Isn't the whole ideal behind vandwelling over sticks and bricks life is less work and more play? Drawing parrellels, I think working to keep cool is the same as working a job you hate.
_____My 2 cents.

Folks, I'm 100% confident that post is  an honest effort to be helpful to others and therefore its to be accepted even if it's outside my thinking and I disagree. Of course, logical and reasoned discussions of pros and cons are always welcomed. Attacks are never welcome.

I don't see anything that calls for a response by anyone of anger or any kind of indignation. He used the word "deprivaty" which isn't a word but it does sound like depravity, which is  a negative word. From the context he didn't mean that and I changed it.

It shouldn't be a point of contention here at all.  

After all, we are just one big happy family full of of very strange people living in a very strange way!!!!!   :p :cool:
Bob

Bob if you are referring to my post, I wasn't angry at all. I was confused on what the point was. I still don't understand the post even after you edited it. maybe it's just me, but to me it's a very confusing post, of course it's not hard to confuse me. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Bob if you are referring to my post,  I wasn't angry at all.  I was confused on what the point was.  I still don't understand the post even after you edited it.  maybe it's just me,  but to me it's a very confusing post,  of course it's not hard to confuse me.  highdesertranger

Not at all HDR, I was just looking down the line to potential problems.
Bob

debit.servus said:
_____Isn't the whole ideal behind vandwelling over sticks and bricks life is less work and more play? Drawing parrellels, I think working to keep cool is the same as working a job you hate.

I don't think so at all, everything is harder when you are vandwelling. You can't just flip a switch and have lights you have to take care of the solar and put water in the batteries. You can't just poop and flush it, you got to coddle that stuff until it's finally gone. No hot water when i turn the knob, I have to warm it up on the stove or keep water in the solar bag and on the roof.

No, everything in our lives is harder and takes longer. It's just the cost of being free and I gladly pay the price.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I don't think so at all, everything is harder when you are vandwelling. You can't just flip a switch and have lights you have to take care of the solar and put water in the batteries. You can't just poop and flush it, you got to coddle that stuff until it's finally gone. No hot water when i turn the knob, I have to warm it up on the stove or keep water in the solar bag and on the roof.

No, everything in our lives is harder and takes longer. It's just the cost of being free and I gladly pay the price.
Bob
I know what you are saying, everything in our lives is harder and takes longer. What I should have been more clear on is individuals lives can be made easier in a van by having certain things. There are improvements which make vandwelling more comfortable for those with the means to acquire them, and make things like in-van showering quicker. Only for those not in a depravity mindset.

My goal in terms of in-van showering is to go from zero to shower in ten minutes or less.

Back on topic:

Mist sprayer cooling is very direct evap cooling, HOME DEPOT has a powerful portable misting fan, (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arctic-Cove-18-Volt-Two-Speed-Misting-Bucket-Top-Fan-MBF0181/) that requires a RYOBI powerdrill battery. They NEED to come out with a 12v version of this.

I like this shower:

b1948a329167708c502254a29eaafd19.jpg

Somewhere I saw a little video of it and the spray seemed pretty strong.

debit.servus said:
...Time cheap over the short term but time expensive over the long term.

...If one spends an hour a day actively cooling down to save $7 a day on genset fuel that would run an A/C; one haven't saved or spent anything. An hour sitting on the street corner begging for change is the same amount of time as an hour working a minimum wage job.

...[etc.]
I guess I don't feel the press of time the way you seem to. I spent too many decades trying to be as productive/profitable/efficient as possible with my time, filling out time sheets, worrying about billable hours. I'm done with that. The way I see it, the great luxury in this modern time-obsessed world is the ability to totally waste time. Time is money? Then I'm tossing Benjamins to the wind. Wheeeee! I've got time. Lots of time. A big old pile of time. I can afford to be inefficient and unprofitable.

Latest posts