minivans?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitt

Reaction score
Hey y'all! I had some quick questions on minivans! I'd love to hear from you Astro/safari folk, and maybe see some of you conversions! I'm considering which minivan I want to convert. I keep alternating between a 2005 Toyota Sienna, an astro, and I saw a pretty rad Kia Sedona conversion on the Enigmatic Nomads youtube. I'm leaning more towards an astro because I can find a newer model cheaper and with lower miles for less than a 2005 Sienna. I just saw the video last night and I haven't much looked into the prices on a Sedona.

I'm wanting to do a conversion similar to this one
http://thegroveguy.blogspot.ca/2011/06/toyota-sienna-van-conversion.html

I'm wanting to do a cooking area in the back, (I'm only 5'4) no drop down table, keep the futon idea, cut the shelving and have a fridge there instead. Either install a rotating captains chair on the passenger side or have a lightweight camping chair. Have netting on the ceiling, like the Sedona conversion, and build drawers under the first half of the bed and have the other half lift up with plastic bins under that for my hiking/backpacking gear and like winter clothes. I want to install solar and two fans, one to bring air in and one to move it out. I want a small dorm fridge as well. I also want to rip out the floors and install insulation and laminate wood flooring.

This is the eventual dream conversion but I really am thinking about starting out with a simple conversion like the Sedona so I can dip my toes in. I test ran my '95 Tahoe for a week or so, parking on streets in my town. So I have a very general idea of things I do and do not want. I want a kitchen and a bed. and the best stealth I can get. that's it. I also need enough room for my eventual service dog.

there's the link to the Sedona conversion. I'm going to have to see if I can get a cot that's a little bit wider, since I am 300 pounds and need a bit more room lmao!

Any ideas, thoughts, or advice is totally welcome!

I think an Astro is more of a mid size van not a true mini van. they have quite a bit more room then a mini van. James from Enigmatic Nomads has one. I don't recall if he has ever done a video on his layout. highdesertranger

I don't even consider anything other than the Astro/Safari to BE a mini van. I've had both an Astro and a Safari as well as a Grand Voyageur and a Montana and truthfully if you want a mini van as opposed to an overgrown car that isn't even quite a station wagon then you want the Astro/Safai.

Yes, I'm a Van Snob.... :D :D :p

Having lived out of both of Astro/Safari at different times, I can tell you it's still going to be a bit tight for you in terms of comfort. I put a pull out bed across the back but then I'm only 5' tall so I could fit crosswise.

Sorry, no pics of conversion available, they both pre-date my time here!

My Dodge Grand Caravan serves me well. I don't consider a 5,700 lb vehicle a "mini" anything, but inside height is a bit challenging.
A big advantage to the GC is Stow&Go seating, which gives you three underfloor stowage bins, once the middle and rear seats are removed. Good MPG, feels safer than a lowslung car.
The platform has legs too, being still in production, while other minivans are long discontinued. The Gen Four and Five GCs have good reliability. It is very comfortable for us Big Guys, other than inside height. Very comfy driver's seat.

You mentioned a Sienna, so I can chime in there.  Mine is a 2000 and I am pretty happy in it.  I've heard that the newer ones have a good amount of storage in the back under the seats, so that could be a plus.  No personal experience there though, mine is flat.  

I'm not terribly handy and I didn't/don't have a ton of money to spend on it, so I kept it relatively simple.  I started with a simple plywood floor to level the surface and so I didn't have to worry about the carpet. Behind the driver's seat is my bed, which is just this mattress on top of a piece of plywood being held up by a few pieces of 4x4.  I cut the plywood and mattress to curve around the wheel well so I have a little bit wider space at the front than I do at the back.  I cut the 4x4s to the exact height needed to be able to sit straight up on my bed without slouching to maximize the storage space underneath.  That leaves me with 7" of storage underneath, which is where my shoes, a few cheap tupperware type containers, and some odds and ends live.  

On the passenger side are 2 sets of drawers with smaller pieces of plywood on top of them. These tables are where my stovetop lives and where I keep my laptop and small water container while parked.  I work online, so I left enough room towards the back so that I can stretch out my legs while sitting on the bed so I can work comfortably for 8 hours in here or use the bathroom bucket inside if I have to. I generally boondock, so that's not usually a problem.  The rest of the space in the back is taken up by my propane tank, trash can, and some smaller odds and ends (extra paper towels, soda or juice if I have any.  That sort of thing)

I should probably get around to taking some pictures in here at some point.  
It is certainly tight and I'll probably go a little bigger eventually, but it works for me and I'm not in a hurry to upgrade.

Here's a link to an album with a few pictures of my van. It's a work in progress but it does satisfy all of my real needs.  

I live in a 1988 Astro Van that I am currently working on. Since I've just started the process, I don't have any pictures yet. Basically, I'm sleeping on a cot with my sleeping bag on top of it. It's comfortable and I sleep well. I have a 50 quart cooler right now but I am looking to buy a mini fridge and I have a porta potti if I need it. I use storage bins for my clothes, etc. It works for me right now.

VanGrrl57

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

My Ford Windstar is smaller than an Astro.  The back is about a foot short of a 4x8 sheet of plywood.  I think the Sienna, Sedona, Caravan, Windstar size is the size that is good for me.  It fits and there is no room to keep excess stuff.  It helps to enforce a level of minimalism.  I do have enough space to be able to cook inside.  That's real handy if it is raining.

Some people prefer more space.  My daughter rented a Caravan for a weekend to try it on for size.  She has not bought one.  Some people use a full size van to pull a cargo trailer, some go for the 40' class A.  It is a personal preference issue.  Your Tahoe testing probably gave you some insight into how much space you need and how much you want.  If you think you want the Astro size, go for it.

I tried using a cot but that failed. I put too much weight on one leg and it bent.  I use a mattress pad on the floor that I can roll up when not sleeping.  For my preference there isn't enough headroom to build a bed with a foot deep storage area under it.

Almost There said:
I don't even consider anything other than the Astro/Safari to BE a mini van. I've had both an Astro and a Safari as well as a Grand Voyageur and a Montana and truthfully if you want a mini van as opposed to an overgrown car that isn't even quite a station wagon then you want the Astro/Safai.

Yes, I'm a Van Snob.... :D :D :p

Having lived out of both of Astro/Safari at different times, I can tell you it's still going to be a bit tight for you in terms of comfort. I put a pull out bed across the back but then I'm only 5' tall so I could fit crosswise.

Sorry, no pics of conversion available, they both pre-date my time here!

The 05 sienna is pretty roomy! (I think that's the year my stepmom had. Maybe an 08?) but my stepmom packed her my dad, me and my 3 siblings, and 2 dogs and all our stuff for a 2 - 3 day drive to Oregon. And as for how my stepmom packs lets just say that for a solid 2 years when we went camping my stepmom had a collapsible kitchen, which included the kitchen sink. But I dig the boxy shape and windows of the astro. Also I've discovered I don't mind a tight fit. I slept in my Tahoe with all the seats up, and me crosswise in the back with my clothes ad hiking backpack. Well slightly diagonal with my feet wedged at a slight slant between the seat and door LOL.

NickTheoBennett said:
Here's a link to an album with a few pictures of my van. It's a work in progress but it does satisfy all of my real needs.  

Oh man I seriously dig it!! Nice setup dude!! Thanks!

NickTheoBennett said:

Very nice handcrafted window screens.

Odyssey said:
Very nice handcrafted window screens.

Thanks.  I got a giant piece of netting at a military surplus store for $20 that's meant to cover a tent and then chopped it up into pieces and taped some magnets around the edges.  Took all of an hour to do.

Cool! Thanks for all the ideas guys! I'm still deciding on what to do. A local dealership had some nice big maybe ford? Passenger vans. If I can find a good price I might go for a bigger van. I need to price and quality compare to the minivans that are available.

Time to contact Van Comparison Company of Dad!

(My dads been a mechanic 30+ years, and if I want to keep money where I can't touch it [i had a bad spending problem when I started working. Went from almost no income to making okay money at my part time job] so I take any money I want to save and deposit it to the "Bank of Dad" 1 member since 2010! <I'm 20 currently lol. I'm a young'in)

Anyways just me trying to be witty haha!

NickTheoBennett said:

Nice!

Is that a full size twin bed?

Thanks,

Vic

highdesertranger said:
I think an Astro is more of a mid size van not a true mini van.  they have quite a bit more room then a mini van.  James from Enigmatic Nomads has one.  I don't recall if he has ever done a video on his layout.  highdesertranger

AdventureVanMan just posted a video showing James' set-up today!  :D

vcs700s said:
Nice!

Is that a full size twin bed?

Thanks,

Vic

Mostly full sized.  I cut off about 2 inches lengthwise at the foot and 4 inches or so on the head where the wheel well is.

Hi Kitt, i'm going to play devil's advocate here ; )

First I LOVE the Astro/Safari vans. LOVE'm and would have one as my daily driver if I could find an AWD in good shape.

BUT... if you already drive a Tahoe, you already have a feel to what a (yup gonna say it) _real van_ can do for you as far as capacity and affordable maintenance with the (many anyway have) 5.3L v8. OK so, my recommendation (like others) is get yourself over to a used car lot (they are out there!) a used GMC/Chevy full size van. You don't have to pop the top like my wife and I did on our Chevy express van (pic of ours below then & now), but you have a base that can suit your needs today (for probably way less than you will pay for a Toyota mini van < < that is really just a big station wagon.)

AWDthenNow.jpg

: ) While there are those successfully VanDwelling in nearly every make/model out there... it will not cost you any more in upkeep or gas mileage to go with a full size van like the express we have over the astro. They both have the same EPA mileage rating or very close to it. We roll every day fully loaded with ~3 to 4~ weeks of supplies in our express and still get the same ~15mpg one of my coworkers gets in their nearly empty Astro passenger van.

Also, there is an ebook (but you will get all and more info on the topic right here at CRV forums!) called "VanAbode" ?? I'm not promoting the book, just saying that the author and his wife successfully lived in a fully stock van as what is shown in our "Then" van above for several years. It is THE van / style he promotes as his ( < his < ) top pick for van dwelling. I think he has some good points.

: ) Thom

Hey Kitt-

I'm chiming in as the owner of a 2009 Sienna campervan.  Life circumstances led me to this kind of unlikely solution.  To make a long story short, it can be done, and done nicely!!  I'm really loving mine (but I am a weekender, so YMMV).

Here's a few pictures of my setup.  

There's a video tour of it here: 

It is surprisingly roomy and comfortable!  (Though if I had access to a larger van, I probably would have used that. I worked with what I had on hand at the time!)

Hope that helps.

accrete said:
Hi Kitt, i'm going to play devil's advocate here ; )

First I LOVE the Astro/Safari vans. LOVE'm and would have one as my daily driver if I could find an AWD in good shape.

BUT... if you already drive a Tahoe, you already have a feel to what a (yup gonna say it) _real van_ can do for you as far as capacity and affordable maintenance with the (many anyway have) 5.3L v8. OK so, my recommendation (like others) is get yourself over to a used car lot (they are out there!) a used GMC/Chevy full size van. You don't have to pop the top like my wife and I did on our Chevy express van (pic of ours below then & now), but you have a base that can suit your needs today (for probably way less than you will pay for a Toyota mini van < < that is really just a big station wagon.)

AWDthenNow.jpg

: ) While there are those successfully VanDwelling in nearly every make/model out there... it will not cost you any more in upkeep or gas mileage to go with a full size van like the express we have over the astro. They both have the same EPA mileage rating or very close to it. We roll every day fully loaded with ~3 to 4~ weeks of supplies in our express and still get the same ~15mpg one of my coworkers gets in their nearly empty Astro passenger van.

Also, there is an ebook (but you will get all and more info on the topic right here at CRV forums!) called "VanAbode" ?? I'm not promoting the book, just saying that the author and his wife successfully lived in a fully stock van as what is shown in our "Then" van above for several years. It is THE van / style he promotes as his ( < his < ) top pick for van dwelling. I think he has some good points.

: ) Thom

Thanks! I welcome anyone and everyone to play devils advocate. I posted to hear perspectives and advice from those more experienced than 20 y/o me! I still got a lot of learning to do! My main motivation was stealth. So I bought my 95 Tahoe. I don't think I ever got 10 mpg on that beast. Maybe 8 on a good day. Peaches (my name for the Tahoe) was a champ! Big and powerful. I went from a 94 honda civic 4 cyclinder manual to this HUGE monster with a v8. When it mattered she never let me down.

Idiot driver stop to make a turn on a two lane highway with a semi truck in the other lane? 65 mph to 0 mph in about 4 seconds with me and 3 other cars behind? Brakes never failed and she handled beautifully as I prayed that I wouldn't crash though the fence when I decided to do a bit of off-roading to avoid causing a pile up.

Car almost T bones me? Pedal To the floor and I was gone.

Broke my heart the day I sold her. I now drive a 2004 Scion Xb with a sticker of the brave little toaster on my back window. All I want in a vehicle is the mechanical reliability and endurance of my honda civic (dad got it from the junkyard for $500 with a blown head gasket at around 200k) which I sold with 314k on the odometer and it is still going strong a year later (sold it to a friend of the family) and the power of my Tahoe.

I mostly want stealth. Not a lot of big vans like that in town. Mostly all minivans. I'm planning on hanging out in town for a year or so after I move in to get some money saved and line up some seasonal work.

I'm definitely thinking about the more room though. Especially since I'm going to need a service dog and I kind of want maybe even 2 dogs. Thinking a smooth collie and maybe a corgi.

Kitt said:
Hey y'all! I had some quick questions on minivans! I'd love to hear from you Astro/safari folk, and maybe see some of you conversions! I'm considering which minivan I want to convert. I keep alternating between a 2005 Toyota Sienna, an astro, and I saw a pretty rad Kia Sedona conversion on the Enigmatic Nomads youtube. I'm leaning more towards an astro because I can find a newer model cheaper and with lower miles for less than a 2005 Sienna. I just saw the video last night and I haven't much looked into the prices on a Sedona.

I'm wanting to do a conversion similar to this one
http://thegroveguy.blogspot.ca/2011/06/toyota-sienna-van-conversion.html

I'm wanting to do a cooking area in the back, (I'm only 5'4) no drop down table, keep the futon idea, cut the shelving and have a fridge there instead. Either install a rotating captains chair on the passenger side or have a lightweight camping chair. Have netting on the ceiling, like the Sedona conversion, and build drawers under the first half of the bed and have the other half lift up with plastic bins under that for my hiking/backpacking gear and like winter clothes. I want to install solar and two fans, one to bring air in and one to move it out. I want a small dorm fridge as well. I also want to rip out the floors and install insulation and laminate wood flooring.

This is the eventual dream conversion but I really am thinking about starting out with a simple conversion like the Sedona so I can dip my toes in. I test ran my '95 Tahoe for a week or so, parking on streets in my town. So I have a very general idea of things I do and do not want. I want a kitchen and a bed. and the best stealth I can get. that's it. I also need enough room for my eventual service dog.

there's the link to the Sedona conversion. I'm going to have to see if I can get a cot that's a little bit wider, since I am 300 pounds and need a bit more room lmao!

Any ideas, thoughts, or advice is totally welcome!

Hi Kitt - I just bought a Honda Odyssey minivan (traded in my Fit) and plan on a simple set up to start: a cot (with memory foam), bucket toilet, 12 volt charger, ice chest, etc. I'm also thinking of adding a tent to the back later, but the jury's still out on that one. I will eventually make changes but I like keeping it basic. I like your ideas for your van, and think it would be fun to build one out like that. Have fun and I look forward to meeting you at the RTR sometime!