Minivans-bed behind the driver's or passenger's seat and why?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30781

Reaction score
I'm watching one of Bob's videos about making a plywood bed frame for a minivan.  In it he mentions that the owner wants the bed behind the passenger seat and that it's unusual to want it on that side.

Which side do you minivan owners have your bed on?  Any particular reason for one side or the other?

wanderingsoul said:
Any particular reason for one side or the other?

Unless they want to crawl over the bed each time, they will be entering on the driver's side.

If you're parked in town it's safer to enter/exit on the curb side.

I get a kick out of watching the old "Highway Patrol" TV series as most always they enter the car on the curb side and slide over as almost all cars had bench seats. It was considered safer and in some places law. I remember going with my cousin and his mom for his drivers test in Ohio and after passing we went to get in the car to leave and my cousin jumped in front of my aunt and got in on the passenger side and slid over leaving his mom standing there lambasting him for not holding the door for her. The officer standing nearby that had just given him his license was having a hard time keeping from laughing. He didn't want to get a ticket minutes after getting his license. He got so flustered with her yelling at him he put the car in reverse instead of drive and proceeded to back into the officer's patrol car. He quit smiling then!

I originally had mine on the driver's side. But then I moved it over after thinking about "what if I have to leave my spot in a hurry?" and figured it would be faster to get to the driver's seat from behind the passenger seat. Maybe not.

Ok, I confess. I am THE QUEEN of second guessing myself.

I have mine behind the drivers seat and don't think it matters either way very much. Getting out the passenger side might be conveniant if alongside a sidewalk but I rarely am parked by one of those.

Well for my temporary bed, I had mine on the passenger side, Mostly because of my sleeping preference, Normally sleep on my left side or my back.. That said, I am rebuilding and I will have a full size bed/bench.

Bed on driver side. Just feels more natural and flows better IMO

You know, it does, and I think I'm going to move mine back over there.

Mine started on the driver's side but I moved it over to the passenger side. I like the quick switch from the back to the driver's seat. Also because I mounted a cubboard on the wall and found it blocked more of my window on the passenger side so I switched it around. I can see it both ways.

Make it easy to switch which side it is on.

Tony\ said:
Mine started on the driver's side but I moved it over to the passenger side.  I like the quick switch from the back to the driver's seat. 

See, that was my thought too!

I changed my mind again. lol

A couple of items I see here:

1) As has been mentioned in this forum before,  if you are a very tall person, you can build the bed to the length necessary for you to get a good night's sleep.  If you are a little less than 6' in height having the bed across the rear wheels will provide adequate room even if you have to curl up slightly. (still it's difficult to stretch sometimes)

2) For those whose military training lives on in them,  waking up facing the door/entrance etc
was a matter of one's own safety.

I think the westfelia design is the best layout for any van including minivans. I got a dodge caravan factory built camper with the double bed on the passenger side. It folds back up into a bench seat for day use, front seats swivel. On left side of van are cupboards stove,fridge,sink.
This design is very well thought out and proven over years of use. It feels spacious when bed is folded into bench seat, and front seat swivelled back, easy access to fridge,stove and sink for food prep etc.

Which side do you minivan owners have your bed on?  Any particular reason for one side or the other? said:
My rear seats fold down about 1/3 on the left and 2/3 on the right.  One third isn't wide enough for the bed, so the bed is on the right.

If you're going to be "camping" at the curb most of the time, the van will usually tilt to the passenger side. That means unless you have some sort of compensation system, the bed will tilt that way. When the bed is on the driver side, you'll feel like you're going to roll off the bed. When the bed is on the passenger side, you'll feel like you're rolling against the wall.

I think the choice can also be influenced by something similar to handedness. One position just feels more natural than the other. It's like choosing which end of the bed is the head. (In my cargo van, the head is at the back of the van.)

Latest posts