Mini inverters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
so... know that my laptop has a device on the power cord to convert power from AC

Well...seems like the right answer is to not go through the inverter to AC only to convert back

Can anyone tell me the name of, or a link to the power cord I can use with laptop directly to 12v?  

Also...I need to have a couple little mini inverters to power some devices...like the charger for the ebike power pack...etc

Anyone use one..any recommendations.

Samlex inverters are good value, some say cheaper Bestek is OK, lots of supercheap noname chinese to beware.

Google "universal cigarette adapter OR converter" eBay, Amazon.

3 factors, pin size, polarity and voltage.

Or look for the one specific to your make/model, designed to run in your car.

Do an Amazon search for DC to DC power supply for your particular model and brand.

For inverters , depends on the device . Some like pure sine wave and others will work fine with a modified SW...

I have a 120W Black & Decker inverter that I've had for 3 years now. I've used it to charge and run 2 different HP laptops as well as any other small devices I've needed 120 for.

Around $20.00 at Home Depot.

I keep it for the small stuff now that the van is wired with the 400W PSW inverter.

The newer lithium based all in one battery systems include small inverters, a small item in the plus column as the cost on those reduce.

The DC to DC laptop adapters are called 'car adapters'.

I have used the PWR+ brand for many years, and it uses 12 to 20% less electricity than using an inverter to power the original AC/DC brick.

https://www.amazon.com/CHARGER-Lati...74671&sr=8-2&keywords=pwr++laptop+car+adapter

I would stay away from the universal adapters in favor of one which is designed for your specific laptop, especially if your laptop can consume more than 60 watts.

Look on your original power brick and multiply output amps times output volts DC and that is the maximum wattage the laptop can demand.

The only issues with these car adapters are the Ciggy plugs. They will at some point, fail.

If one has a lot of extra battery and recharge capacity then the inverter powering the ACDC brick is fine, but those needing/wanting to conserve will be able to save a consequential amount by not using the inverter just for the laptop.