Meet Skoolio The 1990 GMC Vandura Short Bus

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chongolio

Reaction score
6f09b1ea34cd8661251b70b355cb0375.jpg

(More pictures and a vid on my blog:
http://www.chongolio.com/skoolio-the-1990-gmc-vandura-3500-school-bus )
A few weeks ago I spotted a new listing for a short bus on Craigslist that looked promising.

After an inquisitive phone call, Skidog and I made plans to drive up to Shady Grove, Oregon to have a look at the 1990 GMC Vandura 3500 short bus.

The following day we met up with Phil who had put a considerable amount of mechanical work into this retired school bus before deciding to go a different route with his travel plans.

We all loaded up and went for a test drive through a beautiful stretch of highway that runs along the winding Rogue River.

The bus handled like a van as we hugged curves and charged up a steep mountain grade with ease.

A few hours later I was a bus driver cruising back to California in the perfect replacement for my ill fated Clubwagon.

This spring/summer I plan to hit the road for a few months with a motorcycle in tow and have a go at bus life while I also refine my living needs and skoolie set up.

For now, Skoolio needs a few minor repairs some which I have already completed with the help and knowledge of Skidog.

The list of desired upgrades continue to grow and build ideas morph and change.

Skoolio will be an ongoing project that will be see many revisions, tweaks and mods.

Adding the living essentials are the current focus, along with any inexpensive DIY projects that add comfort and can be done with relative ease.

With a GVWR of 10,000 lbs and dualy axles, Skoolio should be able to handle my future towing needs with ease once I install a tow hitch and purchase a cargo trailer.

This one ton bus was purchased with a fuel injected 350 Chevy engine that was completely rebuilt and has a mere 300 miles on it!

A Gear Vender overdrive unit and a new aluminum radiator were installed.

The drive shaft, power steering unit, all 4 wheel bearings, shocks and brakes have been replaced along with new hoses, belts and tires all around.

The entire under carriage was steam cleaned and under coated. There is absolutely no rust to be found anywhere!

Lastly, the head lights were replaced with truck style LED lights.

As you can well imagine, I am absolutely stoked on my new rig!

My nomad adventure is back in gear, I have another project to focus creative impulses upon and my dream of a traveling lifestyle is back on the horizon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The white space between thoughts is great, a pleasure to read your well written post, thanks...

Handsome Bus - be interesting to watch how you choose to proceed.

And be werry verry careful in snow, eh?

^^^^
I try to write for the internet by keeping paragraphs short, on point and easy to read.

The new bus project is going to be a lot of fun and I am sure there will be a lot of head scratching too.

Hopefully with the weather starting to warm up, I won’t have to worry about snow for awhile!

^^^^^
One of the neighbors where I am currently staying had the same comment. However, That lettering has now been removed as I ever so slowly clean the exterior and prep for an eventual paint job

Very nice....
although you need to teach your dog how to relax...looks a little tense...   :p

Nice score! That looks like a good bus and the Gear Vendors OD unit is a very nice touch. Congrats.

those look to be a great vehicle for mobile dwellings. Ive been looking at them myself, specifically the chevrolets for ease of maintenance and repairs since parts are readily available and more affordable.

these really are one of the best vehicles to convert becasue of that IMO. Good luck with it!

Nice rig! I look forward to seeing pics of your build. As I continue planning my future retirement setup, I'm leaning more and more toward a van/small bus pulling a 24-foot max trailer.

I never knew there was a "Shady Grove" in Oregon--familiar with Forest Grove, Cottage Grove, Oak Grove, etc etc etc...learn something new every day!

Bud Smiley said:
Nice score! That looks like a good bus and the Gear Vendors OD unit is a very nice touch. Congrats.
Thanks! I was the first caller and first one to get up there to look at it. I was pretty lucky and glad I kept all my options open.

safarivan said:
Ive been looking at them myself, specifically the chevrolets for ease of maintenance and repairs since parts are readily available and more affordable.

Originally I was looking for a short bus but then leaned towards the notion of a van and trailer.

After buying and immediately wrecking the Club Wagon. This bus popped up and was everything I was looking for.

Like you, I wanted a rig that was easy to work on and get parts for. The slightly older van cutaway busses fit the bill nicely and solid as a tank!

Tool Amour said:
I'm leaning more and more toward a van/small bus pulling a 24-foot max trailer.

I never knew there was a "Shady Grove" in Oregon--familiar with Forest Grove, Cottage Grove, Oak Grove, etc etc etc...learn something new every day!
I still would like to get a trailer but going to have to get something smaller and maybe make payments on since this bus used up my trailer money.

Actually it was “Shady Cove” I got my names all mixed up

hey Chongolio don't you know you are supposed to blame it on auto-correct. LOL. nice bus. highdesertranger

I'm glad that you're back in the saddle after what could have been a much more devastating accident than it was. Looking forward to your build, and adventure, posts.

^^^^^
It’s good to start feeling forward momentum again after a several stagnant and sore weeks.

I will do my best to keep updates posted as they happen.

Images can be seen on my blog: https://wp.me/p3cOO5-2oh

The very first few repairs, tweaks and mods done on Skoo have been minor and fairly simple.

New shorter windshield wipers seems to have helped the sluggish motor do it’s job better. As did a few squirts of lubricant which also quieted the squeaking.

The wiper fluid pump is shot and still needs replacing, but that is a low priority for now.

Bolts and screws were tightened to keep all the rear view mirrors in place and stop the rattling.

Small holes in the body were plugged with rivets while larger ones fitted with bolts.

Skidog had bought a couple fancy buffing wheel sorta things to use on his Airstream project. They were attached to a drill for a test run and we used them to remove the lettering on the body.

RTV was used to fill holes where the seats were bolted into the floor. It was also used to stop a few leaks coming in from through the windshield’s seal.

I disconnected the back up beeper as well as the emergency buzzers for the back door.

We took a look at the wires that are left over from the disconnected flashers, associated control panels and safety gizmos.

There won’t be much done with that rat nest for now, but maybe later I can figure out how to use the existing wires and switches for outside work lights or something.

Some of the work mentioned in this post can also be seen in this vlog: https://wp.me/p3cOO5-2o8

Very nice thats about the size of my schoolie I just got my rig ready for the road good luck 
Live free !!

Latest posts