Meditation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKarmaVan

Reaction score
I am just curious as to how many of you practice meditation. I have just begun meditating daily and I hope to keep it up on the road. I am often overthinking things and I am also guilty of being a worrier. Since I've started meditating I've managed to control my habit of thinking too far ahead and simply being present in my life. I truly believe I will enjoy my time in the van as well as life in general if I learn to appreciate each moment for what it is. 

I encourage those of you who aren't currently satisfied with their situation because of worry, doubt or dwelling on the past, to try meditation. Rather than focusing on what was, could have been or might be, try learning to exist within the now. Find ways to actively participate and you will see that you can make more effective changes for the better.

Rereading the above, I can hear that sappy, hippie tone in my own words. I never thought I'd be one to promote meditation or any of the "in your own head", self-healing mumbo-jumbo, but I really have seen improvement in my life. 

P.S. 
I have also started learning to sew since I have issues with my tailbone and needed a cushion to sit on for meditating. Look at what I made!!!!(sorry, I'm a bit proud.)
333iyww.jpg

13yhp2.jpg

Check out the cartoon in "The Sweet Spot" post in Off Topic and Chit-Chat forum!

Look within but don't forget to look around so you don't miss what is there .

I've been meditating for many years, it really helps me stop the monkey mind chatter that plagues my head.

I have ADD and can't focus on anything long enough to remember what I was trying to focus on.

I got out of the habit a few years ago...was doing it for 10 years prior. The science behind meditation is quite fascinating! In the last week, been thinking of starting again. Anyone that has monkey mind, magnesium helps.

[img=400x400]http://i65.tinypic.com/2llioly.jpg[/img]

I'm trying meditate couple times every week

I'm with all of you and have been doing daily or twice daily meditation for many years.

As I lay out the plans for my minivan conversion, one of the things that is essential is figuring out a place for my meditation cushion (zabuton). I have a dream of having it inside (in inclement weather or cold conditions, yet being able to look out one of the doors. Let's see how it works out.

I've let my practice become lax in recent months, so I'm working on setting aside time each day to sit. Cannot believe how much positive energy I get from even a short bit of meditation... really need to make it a priority again.

Was reading some Pema Chodron today and ran across this quote of hers, always stops me in my tracks and makes me think about my reactions.

[font=Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif]If we want there to be peace in the world, we[/font][/font][font=Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif] have to be brave enough to soften what[/font][/font][font=Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif] is rigid in our hearts, to find the soft spot and[/font][/font][font=Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif] stay with it. We have to have that kind of courage and[/font][/font][font=Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif] take that kind of responsibility.[/font][/font]
[font=Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif]That's the true practice of peace.[/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Pema Chödrön[/font][/font]

Dear Queen,

Thank you for posting this powerful quote. Pema Chodron really is a great guide.

The kind of self-awareness and self-responsibility she refers to here is so radical! Yet ever so necessary.

And the practice of noticing our rigidity and softening .... oh this is not for sissies!

Best,

AD

AD, isn't it a wonderful thing, to even have a moment when we soften? To feel it, and then feel the hope welling up, it is possible!

Agreed Queen, very much in agreement. It is as if that softening is everything. Meeting the world, all existence, from that soft place ... oh it is a joy.

Today I injured myself with a flat head screwdriver while doing a little work on the van. In the midst of doctoring myself up, I felt the soft aliveness well up. For that, I'm grateful.

Grateful to you for the conversation too.

I don't read much from Thich Nhat Hanh, but I find this quote very applicable in this arena.

People have a hard time letting go of their suffering.
Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.

This has been my experience too; the fear of the unknown, of change, is often more challenging than continuing to live with the suffering of our lives. I don't tend to have this myself, yet I see it all around, all too often.

May both the fear and the suffering be alleviated for all of us.

I know I'm mostly talking to myself in this thread, but that's really okay. Just like having a place to put thoughts and quotes that help me and might help others if they stumble across them.

"Meditation is about seeing clearly the body that we have, the mind that we have, the domestic situation that we have, the job that we have, and the people who are in our lives. It's about seeing how we react to all these things. It's seeing our emotions and thoughts just as they are right now, in this very moment, in this very room, on this very seat. It's about not trying to make them go away, not trying to become better than we are, but just seeing clearly with precision and gentleness." --Pema Chödrön

You know, Queen, I'm here and could swear I posted a response about shenpa a couple of days ago, yet somehow it's not here .... sigh. The ethers ate it.

No worries, I don't mind chatting with myself at all. :D