Medical Emergencies while boondocking?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be cheaper to post people at the trail heads and do two things with each hiker: 1) Make sure they know how to use it, and NOT use it; remove all alcohol from their packs.

3) If someone sends a false alarm, pull out your Glock and end his stupidity.

IMO opinion people should be fined for false alarms and non-emergencies (threat to life or limb)...maybe people would think about hitting that button if they knew it was going to cost them $1000.

In New Hampshire you get billed for your rescue, needed or not. People think the White Mountains are a joke because they are low in elevation compared to out West, and they kill and strand hikers every year. Mt Washington has some of the most unpredictable weather in the world and I believe the highest ever recorded wind speed. Some of them are intense grueling hikes, especially in the winter.

I don't think charging for genuine rescue is the answer...as has been mentioned elsewhere on the web it may deter someone truly in need of help from seeking it, or waiting until it is too late for fear of astronomical bills...just like medical care...but there does need to be a line drawn somewhere.

I know this isn't quite the OP subject but I do think it bears thinking about.

I agree, I think there have been some articles from search and rescue saying they get put in more dangerous situations because people wait until it's almost too late. New Hampshire has very little taxes.....no income tax, no sales tax and it falls on local jurisdictions to pay for the rescues and I think it's a matter of they can't afford it.

I think NH does have a "rescue" insurance card you can buy which covers you for a rescue. Probably a good idea in that case.

Sad to think that those who take every precaution and still have something happen may suffer permanent damage or death because they are worried about cost.

I can't even imagine pressing the SOS button unless I was dying. I even have it set up so that I have a non-emergency rescue message sent out for something like a broken ankle or similar...where I can try to self rescue but would appreciate the help of a horse or something. I have it set up with my contacts that way.

Edited for unecessary quoting

Be sure to realize that even sat phones don't always work in canyons. Old school loud whistle or flair gun can be better. Series of 3 for emergencies.

People put themselves in harms way, then expect others to do the same to save them. Then they walk away with just paying a thank you so much. That is not right either. People want the thrills, but others should have to pay the price if things go wrong. Send the bill to the tax payers.

A privatized rescue group paid for by those requiring their services is a thought. It would be expensive, but it could be funded through an insurance policy. You want to climb that mountain? That will cost you a thousand bucks. Give us a call if you need help. Then there will also be another thousand dollar co pay, (to keep people from false calls). If your life is not worth the $2k to you, it shouldn't be worth it to society either.

I understand your point but the land is public...we already pay for it. You can't deny access to a public mountain or canyon or trail.

Back on topic please!

This is not a discussion on the viability of SAR etc. The OP's questions was about how to handle medical emergencies while boondocking not climbing a mountain.

Second the fire station option.
Most firehouses have a paramedic on duty 24/7/365.
Between calls, the job tends to get boring.
A person walking in with a medical concern would make most paramedic's days...give them something "medical" to do.
So, if you have a medical emergency (or simply a concern) , get yourself to the local fire house, having somebody else drive you is a better idea. Yep, take your pets with you if you have to, somebody at the station will watch them while you are getting looked at.

It's a win-win for everyone. You get expert medical advice and possibly FREE treatment.
The paramedic gets to do her/his "thing" and stay practiced.
Good public relations all the way around.

Used this technique at the last summer RTR.
Had a nice lady experiencing chest pain and high anxiety both about her pain and what to do with her pet.
She had someone drive her to Quartzsite fire house.
They put her on the "machine that goes beep" (EKG, cardiac electrical monitor) and treated her condition without the need to go anywhere else...for FREE. They even looked after her pet while treating her. Nice folks those fire-people!

BLM has some EMT/Paramedic trained Rangers as well but fire houses are usually easier and quicker to find.

Tip of the day: Need a place to park overnight to sleep? Simply ask at the local firehouse. I've spent a few nights parked in the back of fire stations. Bonus, you might get some great conversation and excellent coffee!

Happy Trails!
Chuck
1994 Dodge "B" Coach House with motorcycle trailer
Currently in dry dock for re-fitting

Qdini said:
Second the fire station option.
Most firehouses have a paramedic on duty 24/7/365.

Where I live, we have volunteer fire departments, and they are NOT manned 24/7/365.

In point of fact, they are unmanned and locked up most of the time.  The volunteers show up and get the fire engines when the fire whistle goes off, the rest of the time they are home or at their jobs.

I'm under the impression that it's only the big cities that have paid fire departments.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'm under the impression that it's only the big cities that have paid fire departments.

It depends on whose jurisdiction the fire department comes under. In Quartzsite/Ehrenberg case it's handled by the county not the towns, so both have full-time paid fire departments.

I'm from a little town in northern Ontario, we have volunteer fire departments that are staffed as you said but the ambulance stations are run by the 'county' and so are staffed 24/7/365 by paid EMTs.