Medical cannabis

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeremiah Diminovich said:
It's a possibility but it would have to be done on the federal level because Arizona local government allows people to bring in medical cannabis into the state as long as they have cards from the state there from but they still want let you purchase in the state with a out of state medical card

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

If it is a customs and border patrol - that is federal.  And no matter what the states allow it is still no legal federally.

There are several Border Patrol Check stations here in the west and southwest. These are Federal, not state, operated. 

I think the one talked about above is the one on I-10, west of Las Cruces, but not really near White Sands. 

These USCBP checkpoints almost always have K-9's sniffing vehicles as they are processed thru. 

If the dog alerts, they WILL pull the driver and vehicle over into 'secondary'.

Be careful out there!

Where are the other border patrol check points on the way to the area, Quartzside or Ehrenberg? Is there a route from the east that doesn’t involve a check point?

So how is it between Phoenix, and quartzite?

Also how does one end up getting themselves searched? I've always heard that if you don't draw attention to yourself, or give anyone a reason to suspect anything, then you're fine....

My brother-in-law was a sheriff for 20 years in Ohio and he told me marijuana is the easiest to search for because most the time you can smell it and if you can't smell it you can usually tell by certain tell tell signs whether or not their smokers are not and then you just block them into it and then that's how you end up getting searched it's a grey area loophole the police used to bring in Revenue to their County or town because it's a quick turnover in the court systems

Here is an incomplete and somewhat outdated list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Border_Patrol_interior_checkpoints

USCBP website:

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/along-us-borders/border-patrol-sectors

ACLU's take on this:

https://www.aclu.org/other/constitution-100-mile-border-zone

I have many many years of passing thru these with no issues. If you make yourself a small 'target', you are much less likely to get pulled in to 'secondary'. 

Secondary is the same thing as 'detainment'...you are not under arrest, yet, but the agents will be talking to you and probably searching your vehicle based on 'probable' cause. 

Here is a paragraph from one of those pages:

"Border Patrol checkpoints do not give Border Patrol Agents carte blanche to automatically search persons and their vehicles, other than in the manner described above. In order to conduct a legal search under the Fourth Amendment, the agents must develop particularly probable cause to conduct a lawful search. Probable cause can be developed from agent observations, records checks, non-intrusive canine sniffs and other established means. Motorist's may consent to a search, but are not required to do so."

tx2sturgis said:
I think the one talked about above is the one on I-10, west of Las Cruces, but not really near White Sands. 
There is one on I 25 north bound out of Las Cruces also.

Jeremiah Diminovich said:
And California is not recreational yet I've seen several states get right up to the last 72 hours and then change your mind and stay medical New Mexico was one of them

Was doing some reading and found this.  Thought some people may be interested.

[font=verdana, arial]Adult use of cannabis is legal in California under Prop. 64, the Adult Use of Marijuana Act ([/font][font=verdana, arial]AUMA[/font][font=verdana, arial]), approved by the voters on Nov 8, 2016. In general, AUMA allows adults 21 and over to possess, privately use, and give away up to one ounce of cannabis, and to cultivate no more than six plants for personal use at their residence. It also legalizes the commercial sale, distribution and production of cannabis for adult use at state-licensed facilities beginning Jan 1, 2018, under terms spelled out in the Medical and Adult Use of Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act ([/font][font=verdana, arial]MAUCRSA[/font][font=verdana, arial]) approved by the legislature in 2017. Local city and county governments can restrict or ban cannabis businesses in their jurisdiction.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial]I believe they delayed allowing it to be sold so they would have time to setup all the regulations and methods for issue of licensing.

[/font]

If you want to avoid the checkpoints, try using I-40 instead. You can come down to Quartzsite from Needles or from Flagstaff.
Much better drive IMO. And you avoid the unwanted intrusion.

geogentry said:
There is one on I 25 north bound out of Las Cruces also.

Yep. Been thru that one many times...but at that checkpoint they don't stop you heading south, plus, abnorm said they were on I-10.

From Alamogordo, across White Sands, to Las Cruces, the only permanent checkpoint that makes sense is the one on I-10, west of Las Cruces, which is a westbound checkpoint.

geogentry said:
has anyone else spotted the construction of a checkpoint between Ehrenburg and Quartzite?

If that is the case, it sounds like they could be trying to nab people right before they get into cali...

You can't go by any of the maps are websites the one thing I have you can't go by any of the maps are websites the one thing I have found as a medical cannabis user that got off thousands of dollars worth of opiates because of it all these maps and websites or at least a year out of date the closest one I have found is called WeedMaps and leafy are the two best apps I have found so far they give you any information that's worth having. They're not going to put new construction on the map they put with already built this way it gives them a few months of nailing people and unjustly finding them and putting them in jail and stuff like that before it's actually updated to any map is just a cheater cheater thing. Don't get sucked in do what you're supposed to be doing don't give a reason to pull you over as long as it is local police and not some type of federal entity then in this state you have the right to carry medical cannabis from your state to this state now we get back in that gray area of being on BML land and stuff like that but as far as transporting through this into the state with medical cannabis it is legal until you get to the federal level

WanderLoveJosh said:
If that is the case, it sounds like they could be trying to nab people right before they get into cali...

Maybe - depends on who is staffing the thing.  Could be a check point for coming out of California.  With California opening up the legal sales of recreational marijuana starting in January - and that being an interstate and all.  But who knows 'eh?

So what about in a case, for example, someone living in Colorado like I have been for 3 months, and you keep your medicine in your trailer, because where else would you put it. That leaves a scent. Now say you leave Colorado and have NOTHING on you. Maybe someone tries to hassle you because they found out their wife is cheating on them, they just aren't in a good mood, and you know you have nothing on you, so you submit to a search. After you explain you lived in Colorado, and have nothing on you, they tear apart your rig, and there's nothing at all you can do now except pick up the pieces and move on?

That's part of the problem my brother-in-law was a sheriff for 30 years in Ohio and he said that cannabis was the easiest and most profitable citation or ticket or jail time of all because all they have to do is have their dog think it smells something and it justifies then doing what you're talking about tearing your stuff apart and you can't do anything about it because all they got to do is say why I smelled it or my dog smelled it doesn't mean they found anything. And unfortunately unless you got enough money to fight all the attorneys in court you're just going to lose so sometimes it's best to just pick up the pieces and move on

WanderLoveJosh said:
After you explain you lived in Colorado, and have nothing on you, they tear apart your rig, and there's nothing at all you can do now except pick up the pieces and move on?

If you are talking about Border Patrol - If they have a suspicion, probable cause, that there may be drugs they may look anywhere within your vehicle that it is possible for you to hide the drugs.  Up to and including the removal of body panels and engine parts.  Basically they can gut your van, tear apart the body and when they find nothing YOU get to put it all back together and leave - since your "free to go".   You have the right to file a civil suit.  You might even win.  But it would take years before the case is settled. 

If your talking about regular Law Enforcement it is the same thing except normally they will not tear apart your vehicle.  If they call in a dog unit and the dog gives an alert then they will tear apart your vehicle.  Again civil suit, and again you get to put it back together.

I feel that if they tear your vehicle apart and find nothing then they are responsible for putting it back EXACTLY how it was before. I know that's not how it is but if it was, maybe some of this nonsense will stop. highdesertranger