Max Burton fridge/freezer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John61CT said:
These I dunno. Check they're using a Danfoss compressor, then maybe OK.

Engels are tried and true, known for high reliability long-term, and are currently on sale.

https://www.engelcoolers.com/12volt-fridge-freezers.html

I took a look, but even Engels' sale prices are too much for me. I've found the Max Burton 6987 fridge/freezer for under $300 with free shipping...

Never heard of em before this thread. Kind of looks like a Dometic, which use a Waeco compressor, which seems to be a clone or a near clone of a Danfoss/Secop compressor.

Hope it works out, but bargains have a way of not meeting expectations.

Yeah I hadn't heard of them either — I found them when I started looking at fridge freezers a few days ago.

I'm really tempted, a 37qt fridge + freezer for under $300... I can't get a Dometic 11litre fridge/freezer for that. Yes I know, that right there tells me something. They make a number of items for 12 volt, cookers, pots, soup warmers, oven — maybe they cater to truckers.

huh, that would be Aervoe Industries, in Gardnerville NV. formerly Aervoe Pacific my truck is painted with their military paint Desert Sand 30277. they do not make that refer they import it from China. highdesertranger

I have to admit the price is attractive. It may not be the best there is but if it is good enough to serve a purpose it would be a wonderful thing.

Would be good to have a performance / noise/ consumption/ longevity report from somebody using it.

The price is certainly attractive for a 12v compressor fridge.

I am out of the running as I just got the Engel. I did see someones Grape solar 5 ft upright today that I was told used 40 watts. Looked to be the perfect replacement for my 5 ft Dometic propane fridge in the trailer. Luckily the Dometic is behaving because the glacier ac/dc fridge 5 ft doesn't appear to be available anymore.

Hammacher Schlemmer is selling the 53 version, and they offer lifetime warranty.

Engel just ended their sale, the MT80F-U1 model I wanted is $400 more this morning 8-(

I went and took the plunge and bought one — $295 on eBay. It arrived the day I was due to leave on a small excursion to Elephant Butte Lake so I gave it a field test. I loaded it with refrigerator items, set the temp for +2°C and took off — that temperature is the temp of the freezer so I was using it a refrigerator. I ran it for 5 days straight and had no problems with it, the heat in the van (about 80-90°F) seemed to have little effect on the duration the compressor ran. The duty cycle seemed about 15% with the compressor running for about 8 mins and then off for almost 40 mins. I currently have a single 50Ah Stark LiFePo4 charged by 200 watts of solar panels, and battery depletion following the fridge and ventilation fans running overnight was almost negligible. I continued running the house lights and ventilation fans, as well as sometimes charging the phone and laptop and operating the inverter which supplies current to my hotspot. I never ran out of stored powered nor even came close — the lowest early morning battery voltage I measured was about 13.1 volts which correlates to ~10-15% discharged (but it's difficult reading it from a volts vs. percentage discharge graph since the slope is very shallow). In every case the LiFePo4 performed better than the lead-acid batteries I used to use.

The refrigerator seems well constructed, solid, with a reasonable amount of insulation. A nice feature is the door that can open either left or right, or can be removed completely. The fused cigar lighter cable seems solid and the side spring contacts are very strong and make a good connection with the socket — I can't feel any heating of the plug and socket that would be due to a poor contact. The fridge also comes with a 5A A/C adapter that also does not run hot. The temperature is set in either degrees centigrade or fahrenheit and there are three selectable battery cutoff settings so you can control how much battery is left when the unit shuts off. Current draw is about 3A with the compressor running and a fraction of an amp with it not running. Also, the unit is near silent when the compressor is running, at least to my 72 year old ears.

I have not given it an exhaustive test yet, and that will not happen for a while, but I will try to do some testing at my son's house while I'm there, particularly when using it as a freezer and fridge.

Wow, excellent report, thanks so much!

And please update as you learn more

I have tried a little more testing. I set the temperature to -10°C and put a bottle of water and a Walmart freezer thermometer in the freezer compartment — I wanted to see how long it took to freeze. Four hours later I was still waiting even though the thermometer was reporting within a degree of the desired temperature. My son came in and looked at what I was doing, grabbed the bottle of water, and vigorously shook it — it instantly turned to ice. Then he explained about nucleation centers and super-cooled water...