masks required

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cellphone: those are 99.9% "your" germs. The other places have everybody's germs. Therein lies the rub.

That's why yer supposed to wash yer hands when leaving the toilet at Barnes&Noble, etc. If you want a eeewwww stat ... my personal observations are that 40% of men at B&N stores do "not" wash their hands. Sweet book-buying intelligensia.

crofter said:
I am currently using the heat of my dashboard to sanitize the face masks. Plus 130 degrees measured there daily during the heat. 

Previously I washed it, until it eventually fell apart. 
-crofter

This^^^^

I rotate a couple masks, but then, Im not in any true close proximity to humans for the most part, and only wear them when inside stores that require them, which is all for the most part. I often go a couple days or more between times I need them. When at the cabin, it can be a week or more between town visits. I leave the masks in the truck to air dry and kill cooties in the heat and sun. 

I use the sanitizing hand wipes besides small bottles of sanitizer. If not using them a lot, I can keep the wipes fresh and usable for a couple days by folding them up and keeping them in the little ziplock bags from walmarts craft section. 2x3 bags are really handy. I keep a couple wipes on me besides the bottle. If the wipes get used for something particularly gross I toss them, but for light duty preventative use, they can go quite a while unless they dry out.

Sofisintown said:
Bleach for clothes only.
I'm certainly not about to soak in bleach something I later wrap around my face and breathe through.

I have small bottles of alcohol that I carry with me and spray on my hands and everything else.

I don’t want my black lives matter mask getting bleached out.

Spaceman Spiff said:
What good does it do you wear a mask at the dentist's office?
I'm taking my 82 year old Mom to the dentist next week; she was in the middle of the process of full dentures when the lockdown happened and she hasn't been able to eat because the temporaries don't fit anymore. We are required to wear masks to the office and wait in our car for a text to let us know when we can come in (no waiting room). Then my mother takes her mask off when it's time for them to actually get into her mouth, but of course I keep mine on. Obviously, you don't wear it while getting work done. They have all kinds of new plexi barriers in place.

I just drove through 7 states here on the east coast (MA, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD) and didn't see a single person without a mask or arguing over anything, except in the campground, where people did not wear them in their own sites. This wasn't ideal because the sites were pretty close together but there wasn't any situation, really, where distancing wasn't possible. In most places, service stations were full serve to keep unnecessary germs off the pumps.

My brother in CA, on the other hand, sent me an article about his favorite taco stand closing because people were throwing things at the staff and getting into fistfights over being asked to wear masks.

Firebuild said:
I just drove through 7 states here on the east coast (MA, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD) and didn't see a single person without a mask or arguing over anything, 

Yeah, if you look at the list, everyone of those states is in the top-10 for covid deaths except for DE. There's a reason they have been able to greatly lower statistics, as compared to 2 months ago. Looking into the abyss does have an effect.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/pennsylvania

Mine actually has a different more breathable strip about 4 inches wide down the entire front but in over 100 degree heat is still pretty hot to wear but cooler than an KN 95 mask. Fortunately safety equipment is paid for as the tag on mine said $39.99, crazy expensive. They are washable though.

Rough day today in Dallas County:  30 deaths.  In better news, newly confirmed cases were about half what they've been the last 18 days.  More masks may be starting to have an effect.

Overall, TX is not looking so good. If 15% of 80,000 tests every day are testing positive, that's 10,000 new infections every single day in the state. So in July, there have been about 200,000 new infections. It'll take some time to slow things down. The curves in the 2nd link don't look good. It's the typical form of exponential growth. I hate to say it, but compare to NY, or the countries in Europe.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/texas
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Qxxx said:
...that's 10,000 new infections every single day in the state.
We had over 1,000 new confirmed cases per day in Dallas County for 18 days straight.  Hospitalization continue to increase.  It's hard to know what to expect in two weeks, since getting test results back is taking that long in many cases.

We've been doing well here in MA, which is giving people a false sense of security. A few weeks ago there was a photo of maybe 50 people inches from each other in the water at M Street Beach in South Boston, which is a crappy place to go swimming in the best of times, let alone in the middle of a pandemic. I'm concerned we'll be headed backwards soon.

About half the people in this county have been tested. Many people are careful to be wearing the mask here, there are many ways to comply with the mask requirement without too much inconvenience. Still the numbers are increasing here in AZ again. I know I am doing the right thing when I am parked in front of the TV. Strange world isn't it?
-crofter

Debbie Downer reporting in from Dallas County:  36 deaths today.  (Case count appears to be trending down, though.)

Texas is not doing well. Upwards to 7-8,000 new cases and 200 new deaths every day. Let's hope the "people", ie man/woman in the street, start to get the message. At this point, that's the only thing gonna say this country. The leadership is totally hopeless.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/

And now for the other side of the story.

The Shell station in Munds park, Arizona will not allow anyone wearing a mask inside of the store. Just like some places have the right to refuse service to anyone not wearing a mask, it is theirs to refuse service to anyone wearing one.

It is also a interesting view on mask and health issues. While some use the excuse of health issues to get out of wearing a mask, others wear mask due to health issues making us more at risk if we contract Covid 19. I also wear a mask because dust and allergens can make it extremely hard to breathe.

Luckily there are options. It would be really bad should it become a trend and effect the only grocery in a small town.