Maryland State Parks - Gambrill SP near Frederick

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebyrd229

Reaction score
:mad: So, I’m at a SP campground for the next 10 days waiting on my husband to join me here before we head to Salt Lake City from July 10-Oct 12 for my job. I live in my spacious yet old and somewhat unsightly Suburban when we aren’t traveling for my job, which is about 2 wks out of every 5wks. Ive been here many times before and lived between here and another nearby SP all season last year when I first got the job in MD, but I had a small travel trailer then. 

The rangers just came through and said i have to have a tent or a camper because the head boss lady doesn’t want people sleeping in vehicles and apparently it’s in the “policy” and she’s “cracking down” on this regulation!! I told them I don’t have a tent with me and it’s smaller than the back of my suburban anyway so I’m not gonna sleep in it. They said they’d talk to her but they think it’ll be ok since I don’t have a tent and I’m already booked for 10 days. Glad this will be the last stay this year!! WTH?!! So if I had a $65K 2018 conversion van, they’d make me leave??? Is my poor old 1996 Suburban house-on-wheels not ok? 

Again I say, WTH???!!! I’m furious. How can they tell me what I can sleep in??? I’ve rented this plotch of land for 10 days and as long as I’m not being destructive to my surroundings, why do they care??

We’re in the market now for a 7x14 or 7x16 cargo trailer to convert, so will have that soon enough, but will THAT not be acceptable either since it’s not “designed and intended for camping”?? HARUMPHH!!!

I carry a small 1 person tent (doesn't take up much space) for whatever circumstances dictate its use. I haven't needed to use it yet though. I mostly boondock.

It doesn't do you any good to get upset (I know you just wanted to vent). Just throw that cheap (kids?) tent on the ground and sleep in the 'burb'. Let it go and give 'em what they want.

I carry a tent I never sleep in to apease the campground Gestapo. It has come in handy in other instances like using it for storage while rearranging my stuff around or as a way to use my crapper if others are nearby. But the biggest reason is it makes a good placeholder for when I have to go somewhere and will want the site when I return.

Welcome to the CRVL forums nebyrd29! I see that you joined a while ago but I don't think you got an official welcome - so welcome! Some state parks have that rule which seems nonsensical but rather than buck the system it's often easier to put up a cheap pup tent. Sleep wherever you want. The tent means are complying with the rules. ;-)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

B and C... you’re right, deep breath and carry on! 

VanMan....great points, especially about the spot-saver! Duly noted!

RVwandering thank you for the welcome, I’ve been reading these forums for years and they’ve been so helpful. What a great community! 

I’ve been stealth living in my vehicles off and on for several years now, but this is the first year to use the state parks without a proper camper. I had no idea there was such a regulation. From now on the grandkids’ puptent will go with me!

Learning everyday,
Nancy