Married Couple Traveling Together in Separate Vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why separate vans? Sounds like an expensive way to travel to me.

Love the idea of 2 vans rather than one big RV. So much more flexibility of places to go and you wont disturb your partner with any snoring or late night bathroom visits.

There used to be a regular poster here on the forum who travelled with her hubby in twin Nissan vans and it worked fine for them. If you limited your travel miles it would be okay.

Last edited:
I've heard the advice - "Don't sell your van." - more than once from couples who met on the road. That said, I also know some couples who moved in together and are very happy with the arrangement. It's a decision you'll have to make if and when you meet someone.

I'd never sell my cargo trailer.

Last edited:
The thought of having to use twice as much fuel to move is enough to discourage most couples.

Two vans means both people have to drive 100% of the time on travel days. I like the idea of redundancy and separation of space, but if I wouldn't do duplicate vehicles. I'd do a camper van that tows a travel trailer. Or a class A with a camper van as a toad.

There used to be a regular poster here on the forum who travelled with her hubby in twin Nissan vans and it worked fine for them. If you limited your travel miles it would be okay.

WALK ABOUT TED.........two years ago we met them selling One of the rigs out in the Quartzsite LTVA

For us the Car Van Combo lasted less than 30 days

Ram premaster 21-28
RV 8-12mpg
It appears it may be cheaper on gas to have 2 Vans over 1 RV.
Real world:
- Promaster 1500 average 17 - 18 mpg (650K miles)
- Promaster 2500 average 16 - 17 mpg (1.7M miles)
(source: fuelly.com)​

IMO there isn't enough difference to use gas cost as a determiner. Gas accounts for approximately half of your per mile driving cost.

The big advantage is you are not stuck doing something your partner does.

I would love to find a lady so we could travel in tandem.

Road trips and wallpaper hanging are two ways to destroy a relationship.

Two vehicles, one goes down, they're not stuck.

Whatever works for a couple, nobody else's place to criticize.

Road trips and wallpaper hanging are two ways to destroy a relationship.

Two vehicles, one goes down, they're not stuck.

Whatever works for a couple, nobody else's place to criticize.
This is true, and a good thing. I was mostly thinking of the economics of traveling with two vans.

I LOVE this idea. I'm not in a relationship right now so I have no idea what the future holds as far as how my next relationship is going to unfold, but I'm definitely open to this.

My wife was just telling me about this I'm not sure if it's a hint or not?

I'm thinking, in the future, to buy a van to tow our CTC. Park the CTC, drive the van around, sleep in it in parking lots, or wherever, and set up a more permanent camp with the CTC. Checked out the prices for new vans and decided that idea was several years off.

Don't know of any vehicles that get "better" fuel mileage when towing unless you are going down hill all the time. Lol!!!