Making window screens

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eDJ_ said:
... I've used No-See-Ums 20x20,  but I would imagine fiberglass window screen purchased on rolls from Walmart "could" be used.   ...

First, good post.  Thanks.

Second, man, oh, man.  If a person had any real concern about no-see-um's (biting midges), I certainly would NOT use normal window screen.  Why?  A short-ish story.

Grew up in Florida.  Thought I was familiar with every biting thing that flies, crawls, or walks.  No.  Apparently, when I was a kid, midges weren't a thing.  Probably thanks to all of the DDT they sprayed from the back of a pickup truck in my neighborhood.  Made the kids laugh and chase it and run in and out of the "fog".  But that's another story related to taxpayer-funded brain damage.  Anyway, it killed lots of mosquitoes and probably midges if they were there.

Flash-forward many years to another part of the world.  Still sub-tropical / tropical.  Urban area.  Concrete beehives masquerading as houses for people.  Normal window screens.  Actually, interior screened windows inside of a screened porch. Double layer of screen. Sitting at my desk, on the computer, something just starts eating me.  Yeah, my ankles mostly and legs.  Nothing there.  I literally can't "see um".  Disregarded and kept on working.  One thing led to another, I end up with 20 or more bites all over my legs.  Some bleeding.  This happens again, and again, and again.  Day after day.  Season doesn't seem to matter much.

Turns out that those little bastards are drawn to CO2 (i.e, you), love urban areas as much as rural, come in through normal window screens, and seek out dark, cool places inside to live, wait, and probably breed (like under my desk).  Oh, and a nice bonus ... whatever anti-coagulation puke they spit into your newly made skin hole causes the wound to take a long time to heal.  Itching, scratching, new bleeding, more scabbing, itching, .... you get the idea.

A particularly insidious part is that, at first, it's like one of those really bad horror movies with a total budget of about $200. I'm getting eaten, bleeding, but nothing is there. No one believes me. Start to wonder if I'm going crazy. But the bites were real. And the solution worked ...

The only way that I was able to break the cycle was this:
1.  Remove everything from under and around my desk.
2.  Spray normal deadly toxic bug spray under and around there.
3.  Put everything back and be very careful not to sit at the desk in bare feet (toxic absorption)
4.  Keep the window closed right above the desk or the whole cycle repeats.

So, if you don't know about these creatures, really know them, consider yourself lucky.  Mosquitoes are a nuisance and annoyance.  Midges are invisible, flying piranhas that never leave.  

If you think you'll be boondocking or even camping in their territory, do yourself a big favor and put the right screen on your windows.  I know I will.

Vagabound
Recovering Tiny Vampire Victim

Midges, interesting.    They sound like flying bed bugs. 

Perhaps that's what we've had so much of here this summer in the 100+ temps in the Ohio Valley.   They are eating people up,  look like bed bug bites but not in the "Typical Pattern" of bed bug bites.  (2 close bites and
one a bit further away...hold up your left hand and fold down your middle and index finger and that gives you
an idea of the spread of bed bug bites)

I agree that rough or boondock camping should have No-See-Ums netting.   House screen wire would be a last resort or for use on parking lots and well developed camp grounds where they may even spray.   Or just to practice making a first screen until the No-See-Ums you ordered arrives.  LOL 

It wasn't until this thread that I remembered seeing some older Campers spraying their screens with Deep Woods
Off.  Dad once told me that military tents (like field Mess or Hospital Tents) treated with repellent. 

Campmor  offers tight weave polyester (very strong)  No-See-Ums in 72 inch running width by the yard for $7.50+ shipping.  

https://www.campmor.com/c/72-in-tight-weave-no-see-um-mosquito-netting-61001

Skeeta biz  offers vinyl coated polyester No-See-Ums in 54 and 60 inch running width by the yard.

Mosquito netting similarly 66 and 72 inch by the yard.  

http://www.skeeta.biz/skeeta-mosquito-netting-no-see-um-netting-fabric-mesh.html

They also do custom sewing.  So they could make your screens if you don't have a sewing machine.  I would suggest making your patterns of paper that fit exactly as you want to send to them should you want them to make the screens for you.

Mosquito Netting & Noseeum Netting CUSTOM SEWING - Please call SKEETA at (877) 715-7206 or email [email protected]

NYLON No-See-Ums is available in 162 and 81 inch running width by the "foot" from US Netting.

The chief argument for Nylon is that sunlight doesn't degrade it as it does Polyester.   Polyester is Very strong
but strong direct sunlight is it's enemy.  

https://www.usnetting.com/agricultural-pest/pest-control-netting/mosquito-netting/

I would imagine that anyone who traveled with a sewing machine and was capable of making paper patterns
from window or door frames could have a profitable industry just making screens for those who don't have them when in Camp or at a rally.  The materials won't require that much of a cash out lay. 

Magnetic strip comes on a roll or in flat sheet.  Flat sheet can be cut with a "box cutter".  Screens can be made square or with rounded edges for a more custom look.

I've used snaps and magnets and while both work magnetic strips give the best secure contact and is more affordable.  Velcro if stitched to a screen boarder and secured to the metal with glue and a small flat head screw will perform ok.  I would suggest using Velcro in small pieces like one would use snap fastenings.  Use the
hook component of the Velcro on the metal surface and the wool component on the boarder of the screen.
The screen will be easier to remove if set up in this manner.   You can always find ceramic magnets like those used on Cabinet Doors at hardware stores,  and lumber places.  I've even found them loose in boxes at Radio Shack.   But these magnets can be placed on part of the boarder that isn't sealing tight to the metal should you be afraid bugs can enter there.  

I learned early that having these screens when in camp made life 100% more enjoyable.

My other foiler for bugs is a carbide miners lantern.  These can be found affordable or priced through the ceiling for the same thing. (so shop around)  Same with finding a good price on a can of carbide.

carbide-lamp.jpg

They give off a long beam of light that draws flying bugs in and burns them when they fly into the pencil like flame.  Some C02 is given off when they burn which adds to their effectiveness.  You need a can of calcium carbide and a little water for the small water tank.  Water drips into the carbide and produced acetylene gas that burns and produces light for the reflector.   Lovely little bug zappers in the night when placed a few yards away from the Van on a safe surface.

And as far as Bugs in general goes,  I own a book by Dr. Myles H. Bayder titled "Natural Solutions to things that Bug You".  This guy has many books in print and is a great source for ideas to use with pest and varmint control.   Handy book to have along in your mobile Library.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Baders-Pest-Cures-Solutions/dp/B00B4G7CVO

eDJ_ said:
The chief argument for Nylon is that sunlight doesn't degrade it as it does Polyester.   Polyester is Very strong
but strong direct sunlight is it's enemy.  
You are giving out the wrong information in this post, you got it backwards. Nylon is the product that degrades in sunlight. Polyester is the better choice, it does not degrade nearly as fast. That is why companies who make fabrics for outdoor use make them from Polyester, companies such as Sunbrella.

Latest posts