Making of Campurban

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burbanlife

Reaction score
2002 Chevy Suburban 4x4  now coined "Campurban"  Started with 1 renogy 100 watt panel and a UB121000 agm battery, as of today it has another 100 watt panel HQST 100-d panel exact same specs as the renogy 100-d panels  but for 30 dollars less. Also installed the battery doctor battery isolator so will see how that does in a few days. I Removed second and third row seating and added a custom made shelf/cabinet out of a queen size headboard, cut it in half and reconfigured a little bit. Made a platform for a bed with 6" under for storage.  installed my pure sine wave inverter 600 watt. but found I needed a larger inverter on this past camp out ...aka maiden voyage out. bought a cargo carrier from harbor freight that was meant for the 2" rec. hitch but I wanted it for a roof rack  to carry my jerry can and other items.  I use oxygen and use a concentrator so I need to bring a generator . I think with another battery or 2 plus my inverter and panels will power it. but till then Honda inverter gen. works great and is quiet .  Some pics for your viewing enjoyment ::) oh yeah, the fridge is a Edgestar 12 volt compressor type and works great. have it double insulated and the 1 panel and 1 battery powered it just fine set at 34 degrees.

lots of pics

Attachments

• suburban bed platform 003.JPG
    suburban bed platform 003.JPG
    588.2 KB · Views: 72
  • suburban bed platform 002.JPG
    suburban bed platform 002.JPG
    562.3 KB · Views: 65
  • suburban convesion starting 009.JPG
    suburban convesion starting 009.JPG
    561.2 KB · Views: 66
  • campurban 002.JPG
    campurban 002.JPG
    588.7 KB · Views: 46
  • campurban 009.JPG
    campurban 009.JPG
    685.5 KB · Views: 65
  • campurban 019.JPG
    campurban 019.JPG
    576.9 KB · Views: 52
  • campurban 005.JPG
    campurban 005.JPG
    501.8 KB · Views: 46
  • campurban 010.JPG
    campurban 010.JPG
    562.9 KB · Views: 56
  • campurban 017.JPG
    campurban 017.JPG
    520.6 KB · Views: 60
  • campurban 011.JPG
    campurban 011.JPG
    818.6 KB · Views: 49
  • campurban 018.JPG
    campurban 018.JPG
    520 KB · Views: 55
  • campurban 028.JPG
    campurban 028.JPG
    490.6 KB · Views: 30
Very nice, I like what you did for shelving. Those two panels fit your roof nicely. (Get some Dicor self-leveling sealant on the roof mounts). 4X4 too, sweet :)

rm.w/aview said:
Very nice, I like what you did for shelving. Those two panels fit your roof nicely. (Get some Dicor self-leveling sealant on the roof mounts). 4X4 too, sweet :)

Thanks Rick!   No need for the dicor, no holes drilled into the roof at all. I use VHB tape by 3m . I have used it on my last campers with some panels.

Will post more pics tomorrow of other goodies.  lol

Battery doctor installed, had to get a 100 amp resettable  fuse/circuit breaker and pic of the second 100 W panel. My other 100 AH battery is due in Wednesday.

Attachments

• second solar panel and battery doctor 001.JPG
    second solar panel and battery doctor 001.JPG
    834.1 KB · Views: 28
  • second solar panel and battery doctor 003.JPG
    second solar panel and battery doctor 003.JPG
    447.5 KB · Views: 28
  • second solar panel and battery doctor 005.JPG
    second solar panel and battery doctor 005.JPG
    725.6 KB · Views: 28
While camping in the desert , we decided we wanted some more light to either put fuel in the generator if needed & play scrabble outdoors or if someone creeped up a light would come on. So harbor freight has this 60 led motion sensor light for 26 bucks with the coupon.  mounted it today along with a couple led strips. will post the led strips later

Attachments

• 12 volt motion sensor light campurban 001.JPG
    12 volt motion sensor light campurban 001.JPG
    492.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 12 volt motion sensor light campurban 002.JPG
    12 volt motion sensor light campurban 002.JPG
    537 KB · Views: 32
boy there is no way in Gods green earth I could mount a light like that. but I can tell from your paint that you don't off road much. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
boy there is no way in Gods green earth I could mount a light like that.  but I can tell from your paint that you don't off road much.  highdesertranger
lol it's been off the beaten path a lot, but I just don't beat it up, as I use this as a daily driver and coast to coast ride.  don't have the cash to keep fixing broken parts.

Led strip and led roll lighting rgb on passenger side, and pic of the 60 led motion light

Attachments

• led lighting in campurban 006.JPG
    led lighting in campurban 006.JPG
    737.5 KB · Views: 32
  • led lighting in campurban 008.JPG
    led lighting in campurban 008.JPG
    596.1 KB · Views: 35
YukonHo! said:
Nice! Ive got a Yukon im doing something similar to!

Very cool,  Would like to see your pictures of the progress !!!

I have a 2001 Suburban 1500 and I'm thinking about converting it. Do you happen to know interior dimensions? With your bed 6" off the floor, do you have enough headroom to sit up? Do you cook in it?

Nice looking setup. Comfortable and 4WD to boot... now I want a 4x4 burban frame to set my van on.

mothercoder said:
I have a 2001 Suburban 1500 and I'm thinking about converting it. Do you happen to know interior dimensions?  With your bed 6" off the floor, do you have enough headroom to sit up?  Do you cook in it?
I never measured the dimensions, but I can almost sit up right.  Now I can sit up right if I have my feet in the regular floor board area behind the passenger seat. I do cook, but outside, I made a table that fits on top of my receiver hitch and I put the coffee maker there and or cookstove