make pasta dishes without boiling water

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
Just watched a video on a cooking technique for making a pasta dish without cooking the pasta in a pot of boiling water.
When every quart of water counts for more time out boondocking or even just because it is a great cooking techique the video might be worth watching.From the youtube channel "Jacob Burton"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFr1A-kj3lwcook pasta in a skillet method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFr1A-kj3lwThe method of cooking is not difficult but it does require being at the stove working on the dish while it is cooking.

The first step is using the skillet to cook the onions, garlic, mushrooms or whatever else you want for the dish. You can at the end of that step add some wine and then reduce that while deglazing the skillet at the same time.

When that is finished cooking you add the dry pasta to the skillet then just cover it with liquid.

The liquid you add will be a stock be it chicken, beef or vegatable. Keep stirring it so that nothing sticks or burns.
If needed add a little more liquid as needed but the goal is towards the end to have most of the liquid condensed to create a thick, but not soupy, coating on all the pasta.

The video shows how the finished dish looks right at the beginning for those with limited band width who can't watch a whole video.

I can tell I will be making  many such pasta dishes in my RV life in the future. It is a nice, inexpensive, great tasting meal as well as being a water conserving method of cooking.

i've been experimenting with this method lately too.  I do find that the pasta can be a bit chewy or *****, but think with a little fine tuning it's a great way to go!

The symptoms of chewy or ***** mean the pasta is under cooked. Easily solved with testing and if that is the case then add a little more liquid and cooking time.

This has been around for quite a while. Great that you discovered it; it's definitely the way to go when you have limited supplies of clean water and/or don't want to steam up your habitat to make a meal. It is nice that it leads to well-flavored noodles, too.

yes, as the video mentions it is how rissotto pasta is cooked.  I have always cooked things like Chili Mac, or goulash type of pasta dishes by adding the uncooked noodles into the mix of sauce, meat and veggies; taught to me by my mother as a young girl since it a meal that can be cooked by an 8 year old child who is careful in the kitchen.

It has also been a standard way of cooking some dishes that have rice in them such as Paella. But of course the type of rice matters, it has to be short grain so that it readily absorbs the liquid. Short grain cooks faster than long grain rice.